Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried the new Vittoria G2.0?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone tried the new Vittoria G2.0?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 07:55 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
I bought a pair of Corsa G+ tubulars, deciding to “ upgrade “ from Rallys. Bought from Probikekit, rear one had a valve stem leak in less than 200 miles. Took them both off and put the Rallys back on, as I was not about to waste more money on another Corsa. 20 + years on Rallys and never a valve stem leak. I will be trying Veloflex Vlanderen next. Crossing my fingers!
Did you try contacting Vittoria about this? I assume you bought the older G+ model rather than the new G2.0 model, but if this happened to my $124 tire, I'd do a lot more than just cross my fingers.
Old 05-22-19, 08:16 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
For those of you who ride on metal drums, this link might be helpful. Kidding aside, the new compound seems to be a disappointment to this testing crew.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...orsa-graphene2
Old 02-17-20, 08:39 PM
smashndash

Well... I'm about to install a Control TLR front and a Corsa TLR rear on my wheels in the coming week, but I'm a bit scared that the tires will be unusable in terms of punctures from early murmurs. Any ideas on how these tires compare to other race tires so far? Does the tubeless even work?

https://www.lavelocita.cc/la-velocit...ubeless-review

^this guy claims it doesn't. Although it's pretty obvious that these tires are oversized and need extra tape to work.
Old 02-19-20, 06:23 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Well... I'm about to install a Control TLR front and a Corsa TLR rear on my wheels in the coming week, but I'm a bit scared that the tires will be unusable in terms of punctures from early murmurs. Any ideas on how these tires compare to other race tires so far? Does the tubeless even work?

https://www.lavelocita.cc/la-velocit...ubeless-review

^this guy claims it doesn't. Although it's pretty obvious that these tires are oversized and need extra tape to work.
good luck; let us know how it works out. Good idea putting a control in the front.

I read the review.. the first comment below that review is more promising than the review itself. What wheels are you putting on?
Old 02-19-20, 07:06 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Excel has a pretty good Vittoria TLR sale going on, and I was going to pick up some Corsas ($80 for a two-pack) and a Control ($49 each), but I figured I'd put the extra meat of the Control on the rear where it might help with punctures and wear (during the spring, at least, when punctures are more common for me).

But yeah, let us know how it goes. After some waffling, I ended up going with the new Schwalbe Pro One TLE Addix, but Corsas and GP5ks are still on the list to try out in the future.
Old 02-20-20, 09:33 AM
vlad1xxi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I use Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 700x23 on front wheel and Vittoria Rubino Pro G2.0 700x25 on rear wheel of my bike. The 2nd one at least is not worse than Rubino Pro 3

Last edited by vlad1xxi; 02-20-20 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-21-20, 02:53 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by Sy Reene

What wheels are you putting on?
LightBicycle 23mm internal hooked rims. Bought 25c size.

As if the state of road tubeless weren’t enough, I’m also using a rim brake Chinese carbon clincher that is WAY wider than any tire manufacturer would probably recommend. I’m gonna be wetting my chamois every time I go over 35 or take a hard turn with this setup for a while. I’m doing this hard hitting pioneer work for posterity. Remember me when I’m gone 😭
Likes For smashndash:
Old 02-29-20, 09:26 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
smashndash - did you get these mounted up yet? Curious to hear how it went. Excel just lowered their Corsa 2.0 TLR two-pack to $69. I already have my tires for the year, but I'm tempted to buy for 2021.
Old 02-29-20, 02:03 PM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
The claims in numbers are: “the new Graphene 2.0 compound provides 40% reduced rolling resistance, 30% improved grip and 40% improved durability [over the G1.0 tires?].” - road.cc. Also double the mileage.

That combined with with the fact that Vittoria is one of the only companies to use 2 or more compounds, plus tubeless compatibility should mean that the new Corsa are one of, if not the, best race clincher on the market.

Are these claims even remotely true? I can’t find any information about them, and the tires are only available through the official Vittoria site.

Heres the graphic:

I currently ride the Rubino Graphene 2.0 tires after I blew out my Corsa's. I've had them for almost 5 months now and to be honest, the rolling resistance I find to be nice. They definitely aren't as fast as my Corsa's though.I've also got several flats on them as well. I haven't raced them but by that time I'll be going back to the Corsa's. I'll probably be riding on the Corsa Graphene 2.0's this year.

Old 02-29-20, 08:30 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by WhyFi
smashndash - did you get these mounted up yet? Curious to hear how it went. Excel just lowered their Corsa 2.0 TLR two-pack to $69. I already have my tires for the year, but I'm tempted to buy for 2021.
Sorry. I decided to run these with tubes to get them stretched out before installing them tubeless. But I learned a lot.

a) I did mount one tire tubeless with no tape (besides the central channel) and no sealant. I needed 2 120psi airshots to get the tire seated. Once seated, the tire held air for a few minutes, which is a good sign. Pinching the tire made it hiss, which indicates that the seal is through the rim sidewall, not the bead seat like it’s supposed to be. Bad news if you’re cornering hard. Gonna need 1-2 layers of tape for sure.

b) this is the first set of tires for which I needed a lever to get the FIRST bead on. When I bought these rims, I told myself I’d never use levers on them. I’ve been good about it so far. I ended up needing WAY more lever force to get these tires over the wall than any tire I have ever used. I was ready and willing to break the damn rim, tire and lever after 2 days of skinning my hands. Lever was bending like crazy. I’m gonna buy a bead jack and better levers.

c) good luck getting the tire off. The bead “pops” over the ridge at 80 psi or so. I wanted to get the tire off after seating it tubeless... I tried pushing with my thumbs. I tried pulling with my fingers. I tried pulling the rim with one hand and pushing the tire with my other palm. I tried doing planks on the tire. I tried stepping on the tire and pulling on the rim. I tried jamming a tire lever between the tire bead and rim sidewall and working from there. No dice. I had to bust out a convection-heater and heat up the tire. It popped right off. This was inside a climate controlled house. Good luck doing it in the cold or rain.

So overall.... I’m not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze. Part of this is definitely down to my choice of rims and is in no way indicative of the quality of the tire. In fact, I’d be concerned if I were able to pop on the tire with ease.

I finally was able to go for a shakedown ride (with tubes) today. Grip is excellent but I’m running out of tread to corner on at 45-50ish psi (which is about as low as I’d go) on these measured-30mm tires. Supreme cornering confidence until I hit the wall and run out of tread. Wouldn’t say it’s miles different from the Specialized Turbo Pro I was using before, though. Need to do some real descending. Tire doesn’t feel “glidy” at those pressures either. Maybe because of the tube. I think I’m going to run 60-65psi at tomorrow’s race and see how it feels.

Last edited by smashndash; 02-29-20 at 08:47 PM.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 03-01-20, 07:53 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts

I finally was able to go for a shakedown ride (with tubes) today. Grip is excellent but I’m running out of tread to corner on at 45-50ish psi (which is about as low as I’d go) on these measured-30mm tires. Supreme cornering confidence until I hit the wall and run out of tread. Wouldn’t say it’s miles different from the Specialized Turbo Pro I was using before, though. Need to do some real descending. Tire doesn’t feel “glidy” at those pressures either. Maybe because of the tube. I think I’m going to run 60-65psi at tomorrow’s race and see how it feels.
One advantage of the Controls in that the tread extends to a slightly (i think ~3mm) wider width vs. the standard Corsas. Tiny weight penalty but usually worth it.
Old 03-02-20, 08:44 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
One advantage of the Controls in that the tread extends to a slightly (i think ~3mm) wider width vs. the standard Corsas. Tiny weight penalty but usually worth it.
yeah that plus the file tread on the controls are the reason why I chose them for the front.

Did a race yesterday. I can hear these tires sticking like flypaper. Probably not great for RR but great for confidence in the corners. There’s definitely still a disconnect between how I feel during the turns and how much speed I’m willing to commit to. I have yet to take a turn where I come out of it and think “I couldn’t have taken any more speed” which is always a good sign. I think these tires feel better at a firmer 60-65psi. More glidy on smooth tarmac and even on broken tarmac, it’s not as crashy as my turbo pros at similar pressures. It’s also nice to have a higher lean angle limit.

Once I get around to TL setup (this week) and some real descending, I will update.

EDIT: for reference, I am about 150lbs

Last edited by smashndash; 03-02-20 at 10:15 AM.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 03-06-20, 09:17 PM
smashndash

OK TL mounting done. Some observations:

My tape is 25mm but that wasn’t wide enough for my 23mm hooked rims. So the edges of the rim have no tape. The beads bleed sealant if I pinch the tire at 30ish psi. Not a great omen but I don’t feel like ordering new tape and doing all this crap over again.

2 layers of DT swiss tape allowed me to seat the tire EASILY with a floor pump. I think this comes down to the rim though.

Putting the tire on is now super easy. Still takes a lever, but it doesn’t feel like I’m gonna break anything. I’m elated that I somehow achieved a floor pump seat without impossible-to-mount tires.

Took some shaking with sealant inside to get the tires to stop bleeding air through the sidewalls. After I let the wheels sit flat for while, I pumped the tires up to 70 and went for a 2 hour ride. Lost an unmeasurable amount of air. Yay! Going to see how they hold overnight/perform tomorrow.

70psi is way too high for me to feel a real difference between tubes vs TL. I’m gonna run these at 55 or so tomorrow and see if that feels better
Old 03-20-20, 03:05 PM
smashndash

Update again. I would say that, in the dry these tires are fine. Not magical, but they always make me feel silly for braking after I’m out of a turn. But I feel like, in sketchy conditions, like damp, slick, rough or off camber roads, the confidence these tires deliver goes down significantly. Could be a pressure issue. But I think it’s more likely that this is the 4C at work. If the conditions are bad, you need more grip at lower lean angles, and 4C doesn’t deliver that.

On one damp descent, I was just riding the rear brake a bit (I was in a group) and didn’t even realize that my rear had locked up until I started fishtailing. Part of that might be my brakes’ poor modulation but I was stunned by how little grip I had while braking with the rear.

I’d say this tire is great for expert handlers who want something fast (ish), grippy and comfortable. But if you’re a bit conservative like me, something like the specialized tires might be a better fit. Of course this is all subjective. I have no objective grip data.

I also lost 20 out of 60psi in a week. This could be due to my valve, which I know is a poor fit, my tape job, which I know is too narrow for my rims, because of my orange endurance sealant, because of my rim shape etc etc. Hard to blame the tires for this, really.
Old 03-20-20, 07:07 PM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Best handling, and grippy tires I have run so far, especially in the wet
TL 25c Corsa G2 rear 75psi, TL 25c Corsa G2 speed front 70psi
Rider wt 75kg
Likes For RedBullFiXX:
Old 03-20-20, 11:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I haven't tried the 2.0s yet. (The G+ last too long.) Prior to the G+ I rode Corsas in the summer, Open Paves in the rainy months. I liked the Corsas in the dry, but scary wet! Open Paves were probably the best fast road tire I've ridden in the wet.

Aside - I've always felt that for a given quality level, the if you graded the 5 factors (RR, grip, durability, puncture and flat resistance and weight), on a one to ten scale and the added the grades up. they would come out to a set number, no higher. (Say 30. So if RR is a 10, weight 10, then durability, puncture resistance and grip add up to no more than 10 total. Graphene changed the number. G+ took it to 35. Vittoria chose to put the addition into the grip (starting with the Corsa). G+ had all the benefits of the Corsa and far better grip,especially in the wet. Now relative to the Open Paves, not as good grip in the wet (but fairly close) and far better reliability and radically better durability. Also much faster.

What I take from both this testing (and what wasn't tested) plus Vittoria's claims is that this is the next step up, again to a higher total number and that again, Vittoria chose not to improve the decent but not spectacular RR and improve the other factors still more.

My next tires will be either G+ (at discounted prices) or 2.0s. The only way I can lose is if the 2.0s are actually worse than the G+. Vittoria promised the G+ were a sep up. They were. Vittoria is promising the same for these. For me, tires have several functions but the number one is - by far- keeping this old and many time crashed body off the pavement. That the G+ do that superbly AND roll very nicely, are decent for flats and cuts, feel like a slightly heavy real race tire and last like trainers, well that's pretty hard for me not to love. And that's riding them with brutal tubes. When my rims die, the wheels are going tubular. Then I really get to live!

I'm an ex-racer. Loved mass start races. My experience is that races are lost by tires far more often than won by them. I want tires that are in the ballpark for weight and RR and I can trust to deliver me through corners, the wet, stuff on the road and are decently reliable. Now, for TTs, triathlons and long solo breaks, different factors come into play and other tires may be better. (I used to race Clement Criterium Setas. Stored correctly and kept (as best possible) out of the wet, they were the workhorse tires of the pelotons I rode. The G+ in tubed clincher feel near as fast, heavier, equally to more reliable, better gripping! and last longer.)

Oh, completely separate but with commenting on - the tread pattern. Ribbed! In my racing days, most of the good cotton training tires were ribbed tread. Took it completely for granted, Then in the '80s, they disappeared. I slowly forgot how good that tread was (and never saw it on a super tire - the top Clements were mixed or matte tread). Thank you Vittoria! for bring it back. Best all around thread ever. Decently fast (this could be part of the step down from the earlier Corsas), very grippy - not the best but consistently predictable, well behaved in the wet - again, not the best but predictable and they have one feature that can be that once in a decade butt-saver - ribbed tread is by far the best for climbing out of cracks or back on to the pavement - places all of us have been riding the peloton.

Real life on the G+. Solo ride, open, straight county road. Line of cars coming. Last car, a hot Camaro type, decides to pass the bunch. (I was wearing bright orange, Never occurred to me he'd try this.) Well, it just happened the pavement widened for a farm path side street exactly where I was when he passed me in my lane going 60. Wow! Then I realized this pavement was about to end and I was headed for the ditch! There was a pile of grave on the last of the pavement but I had no choice, I was getting back onto the road or I was crashing so I cut left. Tires just cruised back onto the road. No big deal at all! (Except my HR.) G+ and ribbed thread - love.

Edit: I ride the 28s at ~88 front, 92 rear. 25s just over 100. If I had the probably 22s I used to race, I'd go the same 100 I used then. (And I always run 4-5 pounds difference.)

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 03-20-20 at 11:09 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney: