Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I hate my gf.... just kidding.....maybe not

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I hate my gf.... just kidding.....maybe not

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 11:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
My ex-GF of a long time was 5', 105 lbs. soaking wet. She could not match my power on the flats, but could leave me going up hills. (We actually both rode custom steel IFs that we bought independently of each other.) I finally slowed her town on the hills by making her tow

a trailer.
Old 05-05-20, 12:03 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by sirjag
gonna need to see a pic or i call BS...lol

JAG

Last edited by fishboat; 05-05-20 at 12:11 PM.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 05-05-20, 12:13 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If she spends $8000 more on a bike, she'll get 210 yards in front of him.
220 yards if she rides wider tires at lower pressure..and the bike is red.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 05-05-20, 12:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
220 yards if she rides wider tires at lower pressure..and the bike is red.
221 if the stem caps are aero.
Old 05-05-20, 03:45 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

The cause of my woes 🤣
Old 05-05-20, 03:53 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Take her on a long uphill as punishment, her sleeker profile that givers her the edge now will mean nothing then.
Likes For Oneder:
Old 05-05-20, 04:15 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Are you two riding in aero position when she drops you? Women tend to have lower CdA as they are smaller and more compact when tucked in than men. Plus, accelerating less mass is easier. Finally, she was probably blessed with more fast twitch muscle than you. That grin on her face tells me you are probably better off accepting defeat in this case!
Likes For surak:
Old 05-05-20, 04:23 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Originally Posted by surak
Are you two riding in aero position when she drops you? Women tend to have lower CdA as they are smaller and more compact when tucked in than men. Plus, accelerating less mass is easier. Finally, she was probably blessed with more fast twitch muscle than you. That grin on her face tells me you are probably better off accepting defeat in this case!
On TT bikes I can do better keeping up on flats, it’s drop bar road bikes where she really seems to murder me. She usually rides upright back from the hoods and to catch her I have to get into the drops. And that’s not for sure either.....
yeah that grin gets annoying 🤣
Old 05-05-20, 04:30 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
On TT bikes I can do better keeping up on flats, it’s drop bar road bikes where she really seems to murder me. She usually rides upright back from the hoods and to catch her I have to get into the drops. And that’s not for sure either.....
yeah that grin gets annoying 🤣
Maybe she can put out more power upright, relatively speaking.

Be careful with how you word it if you suspect her, uhh, "glutes" may be disproportionally more powerful than yours, though.
Likes For surak:
Old 05-05-20, 05:10 PM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by Rider_1
Going to clipless made a very noticeable difference for me.
Once I got used to optimizing my pedal strokes it did for me too. At first it was kind of a struggle absorbing the nuances.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 05-05-20, 06:38 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
You do all her maintenance? Check her brakes. They may be too loose and need tightening!
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 05-05-20, 08:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Going to clipless made a very noticeable difference for me.
it made a noticable difference when riding on flat road?
Huh. Well we all ride differently.

I cant say I would care for one setup or the other when it comes to flat road riding. I am sitting and turning the cranknat a constant speed- I can do that equally on flats or spd.

I think climbing is easier with spd, especially when I'm tired.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-06-20, 01:02 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
She can accelerate faster than you with flat shoes while you have clipless and can use your harmmies? To me that was the most noticeable difference when going clipless, how much faster I can accelerate because you can now really pull on the upstroke, too. What's the weight difference, maybe she is just so much lighter and thus faster to accelerate?
Old 05-06-20, 06:09 AM
Jno

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Watts per kilogram

It seems reasonable to assume a bigger person could propel a bike faster than a smaller one, assuming comparable levels of fitness, but apparently that isn’t the case. Pro cyclists chase better “watts to kilograms” ratios in part by shedding weight. Chris Froome is 6’ and about 145 lbs. I am 6’ and 180’. He can push 400 watts for ages...I cannot.
Old 05-06-20, 06:10 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians

The cause of my woes 🤣
Buy her a Schwinn hybrid and make her ride that "for training".
Old 05-06-20, 01:44 PM
theDirtyLemon

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
. . . No slipping around on the pedal . . . I once wore running shoes that had flimsy soles with flat pedals and it felt like I had broken my feet by the end.
What the heck?!!

Is it possible that you are very bad at unsuited to normal pedalling?
My theory is that by relying on the stiffness of a cycling shoe, you have clearly neglected the muscles and tendons of your feet. This is why your feet are too soft and helpless; we call them "shoe worms".
Old 05-06-20, 02:38 PM
theDirtyLemon

Not at all. I have very good technique. I pay attention to my form. It was one particular pair of shoes that I didn't realize had such soft soles until it was too late. Otherwise, I've never had a problem with flat pedals. Don't assume that I "rely" on the stiffness, it's just that the stiff soles feel and perform better. Your "theory" is wrong. My muscles and tendons are strong. I train them both in the gym and on the bike and have never had a problem other than that one time.
You are VERY serious, and I'm sure your technique is splendid.

FWIW, I have worn the same kind of wrong shoes and yeah, ouch.

In the gym, do you train your foot muscles and tendons specifically? Is there, like, a tiny set of resistance rollers for that? Please say yes.
Old 05-06-20, 04:02 PM
theDirtyLemon

I haven't even been out for a ride yet.
Eesh, that's rough, sorry. Congrats for staying fairly sane, and here's hoping you can get back in the saddle sooner than later.

Interesting point about calf lifts; also, for the record, I do solemnly assert that cycling shoes are clearly advantageous to 'pure' cycling (although necessarily specialized).
However, as the king of freds, I am not allowed these shoes. I must condition my feet by walking, barefoot, over the most jagged gravel and many ruts of the MUPs, and amongst the bottomless potholes and loose bricks of the most Urban streets. At this point I can crush rocks into dust with my bare toes, and when I ride I wear only the most supple of clapped out tennis shoes so that I can cling to the pedals with those powerful toes, like an orangutang wearing hockey gloves.
​​​​​
Likes For theDirtyLemon:
Old 05-06-20, 05:00 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Shoe worms, hilarious!
Old 05-06-20, 05:10 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Tomm....before your next ride (with her) discretely adjust one of the rear brake shoes/pads to create a bit of drag. Actually, have you checked yours......
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 05-07-20, 11:52 AM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by Speedway2
Tomm....before your next ride (with her) discretely adjust one of the rear brake shoes/pads to create a bit of drag. Actually, have you checked yours......

I don’t know......maybe I just enjoy the view from behind so much I’m choosing to fallback 🤣🤣🤣🤣. I have to give her credit as she is a beast and highly competitive. She is a member of a very small group of equestrians who have completed Tevis which is their version of an Iditarod sort of event. When she wants to do something it’s as good as done.
Likes For Tomm Willians: