Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Strava Crushed my Soul

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Strava Crushed my Soul

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 11:14 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Strava Crushed my Soul

Last weekend was out on a nice ride. On one of the local Strava segments, feeling better than usual, favorable wind direction so decided to go for it. I knew I had one of my better times and was excited to get home and see the result. Yep, a PR. Now to check the leaderboard. Oh yeah, Strava now requires a subscription for this. No big deal, they have a 60-day trial available so I went through the sign-up process and checked my results. And . . . not even in the top 25.

At 63 I didn't really expect to be KOM, but I didn't realize just how slow I am. The older I get, the better I was!
Likes For tntyz:
Old 05-27-20, 11:27 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
That was all it took? Really? You can also check results for your age group. Sometimes that's worse.
Old 05-27-20, 11:30 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Check your age group, weight group, and narrow it to that day. That sometimes helps.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-27-20, 11:56 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I set a PR on a segment yesterday-- on my SSCX, which made it feel even better. Some lustre was lost when I got passed midway up the climb by one of those Team California Juniors kids. That teen literally passed me like I was standing still. The last of the shine was gone when I saw we were putting out about the same power. That segment also happens to be on the leg of one of the Redlands Bicycle Classic road races, so my best effort is good for 594/1906. Hey, top third, right?
Old 05-27-20, 02:46 PM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
My lesson learned is that I care about PRs, but not overall standings so much. I never was the fastest guy on a bike, but I'm still having plenty of fun.
Old 05-27-20, 04:33 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
A friend convinced me to download Strava about two years ago. Since then, I’ve had periods when I follow it and other when I ignore it. I seem happier when I ignore Strava.
Old 05-27-20, 04:38 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Strava -- pay to be humiliated.

Once I left my Garmin on when I drove home with the bike on my car. One of the local fast people still had a significantly better time on that segment.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 05-27-20, 09:17 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott

Once I left my Garmin on when I drove home with the bike on my car. One of the local fast people still had a significantly better time on that segment.
This is how i am feeling about strava now. Why would i pay to see how bad i am? taking away the leader boards might be one of the better things they have done for me.
Likes For spelger:
Old 05-27-20, 09:20 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I've been mostly paying attention to my own improvement, but did get my first KOM last week. Pretty pleased about that, but I don't think I'll see many of 'em. Doesn't bother me any, though.
Old 05-27-20, 09:46 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
There are people who are actively competitive.
There are people who are self-competitive.
There are people who track facts.
There are people who share stuff.

Me, I just ride.
Hopefully thousands of miles every year,
but now at almost 70 - more importantly,
to avoid long gaps in spinning and grinning.
Old 05-27-20, 10:11 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
I've been using Strava for years. It is great for tracking your mileage and your progress and checking out route distances and timing. I never look at the leaderboard. It's pointless.
Old 05-27-20, 11:28 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Your soul is easily crushed!

In my area, often in the top 1/3- #1 ,500 or something.

KOM? Maybe next life.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 05-27-20, 11:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I like it. I went out and got a KOM on Monday. It was a longish out and back segment and it was in reach so I just made it part of my workout. I’ve got my eye on a couple of others.
Old 05-28-20, 02:19 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm motivated by friendly competition with local folks close to my age, so I went ahead and ponied up for the Strava subscription. Seems worthwhile. I spent a lot more than $5 a month on beer when I drank (probably more like $50 a month), so that's only one month's beer budget from last year.

My only KOM isn't worth bragging about, on a one-mile neighborhood loop that I didn't even know was a Strava segment. I was just part of my usual warmup/cooldown before and after a workout. When I hit just over 20 mph on that segment I quit riding faster than 15 mph there. Let someone else have it if they want.

I've lost most of my top tens since my 2018 injury and illness setback. I'm trying to claw my way back but it's tougher now. When I had a few top tens it was against some tough competition, but not many of them. I was always a full minute or more behind the KOM (usually held by a much stronger friend). As more cyclists began riding those rural routes the separation between the top ten got closer and I got nudged down to 12th or so.

I think I still have an 8th place on one segment. But that'll be gone soon too. There's no way a 62 y/o should have a KOM or even a top ten on any segment worth riding if there are enough younger riders on the same routes. Some strong local women riders have nudged me out of the top ten as well. That's fine, it should be that way.

Eventually that window of opportunity will close. I figure I might have until age 65 to get stronger and faster. After that no amount of work will matter. It'll be a gradual decline. I'm not even the fastest in my age group here.

Even now I'm having to sandbag some days to conserve energy for a PR on a competitive segment. I'll loaf-pedal for 5-10 minutes before the segment, then sprint until I'm gassed out, then loaf-pedal again. I average 16 mph overall, nowhere near as fast as the younger folks on the same 20-50 mile routes. But if I sandbag I can save enough for a few sprints.

Not sure I'll even care about Strava 10 years from now. I might switch back to my hybrid and just enjoy the scenery.

Meanwhile, I'll keep trying.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-28-20, 03:13 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
There's no way a 62 y/o should have a KOM or even a top ten on any segment worth riding if there are enough younger riders on the same routes
Yep, I'm 61 and the few KOMs I've had are gone although still have several top tens (got 2 yesterday). I only started road cycling 4 years ago so I do wonder how strong a rider I'd have been 35 years ago! I like Strava although don't subscribe, I find it useful to see my times over same segments and routes. There's a couple of guys around here who target KOMs, pretty obvious that's their sole goal. I can't compete with them so just do my own thing and if I get a PB/Trophy/KOM then all the better.
Old 05-28-20, 05:05 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18352 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Hmmm... I've been down on my miles so I hadn't noticed the new updates.

So, one shows up if one is in the top 10. Otherwise, so much data is obscured

It looks like they've definitely knocked out many of the "cool features".
Old 05-28-20, 11:32 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Truer words have not been spoken!
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 05-28-20, 12:03 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
For chasing Strava segment KOM's, Top 10's, or just PR's, I highly recommend VeloViewer.com, $15 a year (US), just 4 cents per day.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 05-28-20, 08:50 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I repulsed at the forcing subscriptions but then, 7.00 is ok and when seeing the extras that came with the premium, that made it worthwhile. Being 62 and still riding hard as possible, just making the top 20 percentile is cool.
Old 05-29-20, 05:30 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I was introduced to Strava in July last year by a very good friend of mine who is a cycling coach. He wanted to track my progress - I returned to cycling after a long time away from it in January, 2019.

In August I got a KOM on a local MTB race route while training and found I still had a half-decent sprint in my legs! I raced a long time ago and have since returned to racing and like to use Strava segments for HIIT training. I'm very lazy and I find the competition on local segments provides the motivation I need to keep plugging away and I'm definitely fitter/stronger as a result. Of course, winning KOM's is in no way comparable to winning races but they are fun despite the many variables.

Anyway, even at 51, I've managed to amass over 60 KOM's since August last year, mix road and off-road, and that despite the Volta ao Algarve, local Pro's and Elite riders. Naturally, it is mostly luck that the many faster riders haven't made a serious attempt at the segments I currently lead!
Old 05-29-20, 10:31 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
The problem is, that I need OTHER people to pay for premium Strava so they can see how much better than them I am... maybe I should buy them gift memberships.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 05-29-20, 10:56 AM
SurferCyclist

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
The problem is, that I need OTHER people to pay for premium Strava so they can see how much better than them I am... maybe I should buy them gift memberships.
No you don't, just get in top ten and they'll see it.
Old 05-29-20, 11:17 AM
csuperbike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Using strava is a great way to bust your noggin.
Old 05-29-20, 06:07 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
The climbing results on Strava are usually pretty accurate/fair, but if you're trying for a top time on a flatter time trial segment a lot of the times are set by people drafting others. I've set KOM's on TT segments, only to see some old guy (my age...) drop me by a couple mph. I'd go back to the total leader board for that date and find out that the person with the age group KOM was riding with a group of 20-30 year olds who had times grouped around the old guy's time. Just as my peak cycling days were ending, it struck me that I could log both the fasted time and the slowest time for my age group on a local test piece hill climb. Wish I'd thought about doing it sooner.
Old 05-30-20, 12:33 AM
SurferCyclist

Yeah well not too many KOMs got into a strong headwind either! People are either drafting and/or have a strong tailwind, certainly on flattish segments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.