Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Passed By E-Bike

Old 06-15-20, 03:40 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
eMTBs are great but I already got one of these to suit the purpose of power on demand. Got it cheaper than a new eMTB too.

On trails I only ride it at 10-15 mph anyway, so the only functional difference is that it makes a bit more noise. Modern fuel-injected 4 stroke with a catalytic converter so no noxious fumes or smoke clouds, thankfully.

Though an eMTB won't get as many dirty looks on a MUP as a dual sport lol
I have a WR450F. There's no way I'd want to ride an e-mountain bike through some of the nasty rock trails I've ridden on a dirt bike in parts of Colorado. But for more sane trails, I think I'd like to try a full suspension e-bike.
Old 06-15-20, 03:44 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Yeah, if he climbs the hill without pedaling, he's demonstrating that it's not a contest between individuals; whoever can buy the *biggest motor* wins. Not playing that game. Makes me wonder why he's on a trail though - just the fresh air, or does it make him feel like a real cyclist?
The e-bike and his safety gear looked brand new. This was likely a maiden voyage. From the racks he had mounted on it, it wouldn't surprise me if he's going to be commuting. If I needed to commute, I'd certainly consider an e-bike.
Old 06-15-20, 04:05 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
My only concern with electric bikes is the safety aspect for less familiar users who don’t appreciate the speed and the dangers. I’ve had a few close calls where someone was barely in control and going inappropriately fast, given the curves and amount of bike and foot traffic.
Most of them don't go any faster than the majority of the population can do on their own, certainly not faster than the peleton riding on the MUP.
Old 06-15-20, 05:21 PM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Let him go on ahead. He's cheating anyways.
Old 06-15-20, 08:57 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by coopman
Let him go on ahead. He's cheating anyways.
That’s what the people on roller skates say about people on bikes.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 06-15-20, 09:10 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Other day I was riding some fairly technical MTB trails for Long Island when I met up with a guy on an E-bike, seemed to really be enjoying himself. He was ahead of me till a series of 3 drop-offs which led into a really rooty section with several more small drops and a couple of climbs, I left him at the 3 drops and stayed ahead through all of the course till it came out on top of a longer climb. I was still ahead of him at that point but also clueless as to where I was so I moved off to the side and he passed complementing me on the bike handing skills. That he could ride it through the same section seemed impressive to me but I'm sure he and the motor made his dual-suspension work. Saw him again in the parking lot, no clue how I got ahead of him to there but there must be a slight offshoot that I don't know about since I was only about 30 sec ahead of him. Was really friendly to chat with, really liked pushing the bike on the trails and seemed to have fun; I don't look forward to the day I might need one but I can see why he liked it.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 06-15-20, 09:10 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Most of them don't go any faster than the majority of the population can do on their own, certainly not faster than the peleton riding on the MUP.
my e bike will do 28 if I have enough energy or use enough assist but I have been passed when I was doing 26 before. had one guy drafting me who I was doing 27 and feeling good. myself I work on my e bike I try to keep my heart rate around 130 if I feel good. but to be able too go fast on my 20 mile commute saves me a lot of time every day and I ride 30 to 40 miles a day.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 06-16-20, 07:38 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I usually grab the back of their saddle and catch a ride.
Old 06-16-20, 09:45 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
You're about a year too late with your admonition, but thanks anyhow. Most of the cycling world has come to grips with e-bikes.
It's a bicycle with a motor. I'm not sure why someone needs to come to grips with that.
Old 06-16-20, 10:34 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I wish any "e-bike" equipped with a throttle would be labeled something else. In and of themselves, the e-bike concept is great. If one has a physical disability, or elderly, why not. Otherwise, it is a matter of ambition or lack of fitness.
Likes For FlMTNdude:
Old 06-16-20, 11:16 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
I wish any "e-bike" equipped with a throttle would be labeled something else. In and of themselves, the e-bike concept is great. If one has a physical disability, or elderly, why not. Otherwise, it is a matter of ambition or lack of fitness.
I can't imagine why it matters what they're labelled. Heck, motorcycles are also called bikes.

I can think of several really good reasons for owning an e-bike. 1. Easier commuting...you don't arrive all sweaty. 2, Going faster for the same physical effort...faster is fun. 3. Going further for the same effort...more riding is better. 4. The ability to carry more load for the same physical effort...groceries, camping stuff, touring stuff, pets, grand kids, whatever. 5. Any other reason anyone wants to come up with.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 06-16-20, 12:19 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
...but to be able to go fast on my 20 mile commute saves me a lot of time every day and I ride 30 to 40 miles a day.
I just bought an electric front wheel (Hilltopper) just so that I can extend my commuting to hopefully 5 days a week, because I also ride 35 miles per day, and my sore knees just need a little help getting up the steeper sections on my southern Denver route, especially on the 4th and 5th days in a row.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 06-16-20, 12:36 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
My first encounter with E-bikers out on the trail was about 2 years ago: two very out of shape looking guys in street clothes, no helmets, smoking cigarettes while riding, with no trail etiquette whatsoever(being downright dangerous, and obviously, stinky as well). Put a bad taste in my mouth, literally.
But since then we're seeing lots more E-bikes out there, and thankfully that was an isolated incident for me. Whatever gets ya out there is good, just be cool about it.
Likes For pbass:
Old 06-16-20, 04:00 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I just bought an electric front wheel (Hilltopper) just so that I can extend my commuting to hopefully 5 days a week, because I also ride 35 miles per day, and my sore knees just need a little help getting up the steeper sections on my southern Denver route, especially on the 4th and 5th days in a row.
my body is wonky and it only lets me eat protein. I had so little energy for so long. when I finally got on my e bike all I could do is spin with no real effort took about 3 months before I could start working and that slowly got better once I can keep 22 or so mph with little effort I drop the assist level. my wife on our e tandem has a long ways to go but the e bike makes it easier for her to go longer without me carrying her I love to ride now more then I ever did on an acoustic bike.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 06-16-20, 05:10 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I can't imagine why it matters what they're labelled. Heck, motorcycles are also called bikes.

I can think of several really good reasons for owning an e-bike. 1. Easier commuting...you don't arrive all sweaty. 2, Going faster for the same physical effort...faster is fun. 3. Going further for the same effort...more riding is better. 4. The ability to carry more load for the same physical effort...groceries, camping stuff, touring stuff, pets, grand kids, whatever. 5. Any other reason anyone wants to come up with.
Most opponents of e-bikes would argue that since they're effectively mopeds, they should require licensing and registration like mopeds. I would go the other direction, and advocate for mopeds and motorcycles to be deregulated and not require licensing or registration, because it would encourage more people to get on two wheels and out of cars which will reduce congestion and carbon emissions.
Likes For General Geoff:
Old 06-16-20, 05:15 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
It's a bicycle with a motor. I'm not sure why someone needs to come to grips with that.
Nor I, but I was responding to the OP:

The world did not come to an end as I was led here on BF to believe it would.
Old 06-16-20, 05:33 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
Guess it's just me. I hate them. I said out loud so there!!!
If you are not going to do the work then just get electric moped, motorcycle, etc.. I think it's kind of lame since they just made the moped/mini bike "look" like a bicycle it can now go on bike trails.

You don't see this guys on the side walk/MUP

Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 06-16-20, 05:48 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Nor I, but I was responding to the OP:
No need for the admonition. I’ve come to grips with e-bikes. I’ve stated several times in this thread and others that I think they’re cool. I’ve been in favor of them from the very first time I heard about them.

The tone of my post was intended to poke a little good-natured fun at folks who think the cycling world will come to and end because of e-bikes. I guess I was too subtle.
Old 06-16-20, 05:50 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Guess it's just me. I hate them. I said out loud so there!!!
If you are not going to do the work then just get electric moped, motorcycle, etc.. I think it's kind of lame since they just made the moped/mini bike "look" like a bicycle it can now go on bike trails.

You don't see this guys on the side walk/MUP

An e-bike with pedal assist affords the opportunity to do all the work you want. Up to and including more work than when the assist isn’t kicked in. You can still ride at your FTP. You’ll just be going faster.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 06-16-20, 05:53 PM
MattTheHat 

I will admit that an electric mountain bike with knobbies can be heard from quite some distance away. I could see how folks who prefer to enjoy peace and quiet while they ride could be irritated if they ran into that constantly.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 06-17-20, 05:23 AM
cabledawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
As an e-bike owner, I can tell you that having e-assist means more bike commuting for me. With a back injury that causes weakness on one side and now a knee injury on the other side, there's days where lugging around my heavy cargo bike would be enough to force me to drive. But with the e-assist, I can still ride the bike. Unloaded I can get it up to around 35mph, but that's only been done once or twice and only when I have a stretch of empty MUP. Most times I stick with 12-14 mph pedaling and 16-20 mph max using the motor. Even with the motor, I get passed by roadies all the time. I'm not trying to show off, just trying to get from point A to point B.
Old 06-17-20, 09:22 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I was passed by a Harley the other day. No big deal.
They're usually easy enough to catch.
Old 06-17-20, 09:24 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Folks that get pissy about an ebike anywhere outside of a formal race setting need to get a life. I could maybe concede a groomed MTB trail system too, I'm still 50/50 on that, just from the fact that if you aren't fit enough to pedal a MTB trail, I question if you are fit enough to zig zag and descend a MTB trail system.

For the most part, none of my business how anyone else spends their recreational time or what they choose to commute on, though.
Don't assume someone riding an eMTB isn't fit enough to ride without it. One of my coworkers is a very competitive cyclist (locally, he's in the top 5 road racers), and has an eMTB that he loves. He says he just tends to go a little further than he might otherwise, because it makes the technical areas a little easier to deal with.
This is a really cool e-bike set up for touring:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

Last edited by Notso_fastLane; 06-17-20 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-17-20, 09:43 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Don't assume someone riding an eMTB isn't fit enough to ride without it. One of my coworkers is a very competitive cyclist (locally, he's in the top 5 road racers), and has an eMTB that he loves. He says he just tends to go a little further than he might otherwise, because it makes the technical areas a little easier to deal with.
This is a really cool e-bike set up for touring:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1
Of course I can always find exceptions to the rule, but I'd wager a bet that the overwhelming majority of folks using them are doing so because they aren't fit enough one way or another to do what they are doing. Many of the MTB trails by me ban ebikes, which I am fine with in a way I wouldn't be on MUPs and such. While MUPs are used for a wide variety of purposes, MTB trails exist for one reason, and your comment about making them easier kinda runs contrary to that purpose. They exist to be a physical exercise.

Touring? Go for it. Couldn't care less.
Likes For jefnvk:
Old 06-17-20, 10:16 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
About the only time I see e-bikes is near the beaches. Up in the hills, I've seen one in the last two years. It was a road bike and the older gent was recovering from an injury and did not want to give up climbing in the mountains. He was still working hard but the assist made it possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.