Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Mezzo/Ori folding bike upgrades?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Mezzo/Ori folding bike upgrades?

Old 05-02-19, 06:59 AM
foldupJim

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
hello everyone,

I'm Jim from Edinburgh, and I love small bikes.
I've managed to cut down to just the five at the moment, but the other day; a Mezzo i4 came-into-my-hands.

I've got to tell you; it's SO interesting that it's keeping me up at night!

Hopefully the power of optimism and the wonderful community on here will be enough to undertake the journey to recommission it. The bike is in a very poor state; I have yet to even ride it.

A number of stages of work are to be undertaken.

1, get working tyres that hold air!
2, replace the totalled gear system & chain
3, see what can be done about the somewhat crazy 'home-made' paint scheme (someone went all creative on this bike)
4, live happily-ever-after, whilst executing a series of subtle but effective modifications

I work with mechanical tools every day (although I do technical-wiring for a living) but I don't know a great deal about bikes. Let's see what happens..!
Old 05-07-19, 07:24 AM
foldupJim

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
got my new front tyre today- hoping for a 1st ride tonight;

can anyone conform what their brakes are on the Mezzo??

I seem to have different front & rear calipers...
Old 08-02-20, 11:57 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 98 Posts
I have a couple of questions about M10 Superlights:

1. What's that rubber part behind the seat post? I thought it was to hold the derailleur + rear brake cables close to the frame, but when I do this, the bike no longer folds.

2. On the Shimano 105 rear derailleur, some gears don't work well, going either up or down. Between the barrel adjusters on both ends and the setting screw, what should I try? Could it also be due to worn cable + housing? Or worn Tiagra shifter?

Thank you.

Last edited by Winfried; 08-02-20 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-02-20, 12:54 PM
caiodorn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Hi Winfried. So I bought a Mezzo for me, more or less two months ago... back to pedalling after many years. I have spent some money on parts and tidying up with the bike (a D9), including fiddling with the derailleur system. This video saved my life: (EDIT: I can't post links because I'm new to this forum... search for "How to Adjust a Rear Derailleur – Limit Screws & Indexing" on YouTube).

Even if yours is different you should be able to have it properly adjusted as I did. Changes gears like butter now... the only problem is the larger cog, which is prone to coming off due to cross-chaining.

And regarding that plastic thingy on the first pic, looks like something designed to hold a small pump -- but I may be wrong.
Old 08-02-20, 12:59 PM
Winfried

Thanks for the tip.

It's from Park Tool:
Old 08-03-20, 09:42 AM
Winfried

"change saddle" returned no hits when searching this thread.

The SDG "BotAim" (can't decipher) ST saddle is a bit narrow for my butt.

After removing the two bits that hold the saddle in place with a mallet, how do I remove the bit that sits in the saddle tube and install a standard saddle clamp?

Old 08-06-20, 06:43 AM
caiodorn

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Finally done with upgrading my Mezzo D9, which I got from Gumtree... was a bit dirty and beat-up, but after some investment, blood, sweat and tears it looks and feels great. Thought I'd share the upgrades with you since I'm very satisfied with it... might give you some ideas. Especially on the rear brakes and bottle cage mount... the Swissstop makes a night and day difference compared to the brand new Shimano pads I had put in... in fact I got the recommendation from this topic. Also I've replaced the cables... worth doing it as well.

*UPDATE: too bad I can't share pictures... new user. Anyway, below you can check which are the upgrades.

Upgrade list:
- ESI lush Silicone Grips
- SwissStop Full FlashPro
- CatEye OH 1200 Bike Bell
- CatEye BM-45 Rear Mirror
- CatEye GVolt 50 HL-EL550GRC front light
- CatEye Micro G HI-EL620G rear light
- Shimano SL-R440 trigger shifter
- Shimano BL-R550 Flat Bar Caliper Brake Levers
- Topeak Ninja Cage Plus
- Topeak Cage Mount
-
Topeak Wedge Aero Medium with Buckle
-
Wellgo Alloy F265 Folding Pedals
- Clarks Universal Bicycle Bike Gear Derailleur & Brake Cable Set
- Schwalbe Marathon tyres

Last edited by caiodorn; 08-06-20 at 07:07 AM.
Likes For caiodorn:
Old 08-07-20, 03:31 AM
caiodorn

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about getting new wheels for my D9, considering one with an internal gear hub. Do you think it is worth it? How undergeared/overgeared they can be compared to the standard SRAM/Tiagra set from later D9s? Also... not sure if it is me who doesn't know how to search on Google, but these 16 inch wheels are quite not that easy to find. Any tips on brands, materials, etc? Thanks in advance.
Likes For caiodorn:
Old 08-07-20, 06:54 AM
Winfried

I'm also interested in upgrading an Ori from a derailleur to a gear hub.

Mezzo/Ori rims are 349 like Brompton, so any rim for Bromptons will do.

But rims from Brompton are 28 holes, while Shimano Nexus gear hubs seem only available in either 32H or 36H. I guess 32 is enough considering they're small wheels.
Old 08-09-20, 06:00 AM
Winfried

Out of curiosity, I checked how much it'd cost to convert an Ori from a derailleur to a Nexus 8 gear hub using new parts:
  • Shimano Nexus SG-C6011-8V 130€
  • Cassette joint + anti-rotation washers for vertical drop outs (blue+green) + axle nuts 12€
  • Sprocket (16-23T) 2€
  • 32H Sun rim 40€
  • Spokes 20€
  • Shifter (includes cable + housing) 10€
  • Chain tensioner 20€
TOTAL 234€
(1€ = $1,18 = £0,90)
Likes For Winfried:
Old 08-10-20, 12:28 AM
MezzoLew

Bikes: Mezzo D9, Nigel Dean Tour Master

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by caiodorn
Finally done with upgrading my Mezzo D9, which I got from Gumtree... was a bit dirty and beat-up, but after some investment, blood, sweat and tears it looks and feels great. Thought I'd share the upgrades with you since I'm very satisfied with it... might give you some ideas. Especially on the rear brakes and bottle cage mount... the Swissstop makes a night and day difference compared to the brand new Shimano pads I had put in... in fact I got the recommendation from this topic. Also I've replaced the cables... worth doing it as well.

*UPDATE: too bad I can't share pictures... new user. Anyway, below you can check which are the upgrades.

Upgrade list:
- ESI lush Silicone Grips
- SwissStop Full FlashPro
- CatEye OH 1200 Bike Bell
- CatEye BM-45 Rear Mirror
- CatEye GVolt 50 HL-EL550GRC front light
- CatEye Micro G HI-EL620G rear light
- Shimano SL-R440 trigger shifter
- Shimano BL-R550 Flat Bar Caliper Brake Levers
- Topeak Ninja Cage Plus
- Topeak Cage Mount
-
Topeak Wedge Aero Medium with Buckle
-
Wellgo Alloy F265 Folding Pedals
- Clarks Universal Bicycle Bike Gear Derailleur & Brake Cable Set
- Schwalbe Marathon tyres

Keep posting bits and pieces on any forum page and you will then pass the photo limit soon!!

I also switched to Wellgo Alloy pedals. They are a great low cost upgrade.
I also have a bar end mirror which works a treat.
Here is my other mod - I added skateboard wheels to lift the bike clearer from the floor when wheeling it along and these wheels have better bearings so roll smoother.
Likes For MezzoLew:
Old 08-10-20, 02:55 AM
caiodorn

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Out of curiosity, I checked how much it'd cost to convert an Ori from a derailleur to a Nexus 8 gear hub using new parts:
  • Shimano Nexus SG-C6011-8V 130€
  • Cassette joint + anti-rotation washers for vertical drop outs (blue+green) + axle nuts 12€
  • Sprocket (16-23T) 2€
  • 32H Sun rim 40€
  • Spokes 20€
  • Shifter (includes cable + housing) 10€
  • Chain tensioner 20€
TOTAL 234€
(1€ = $1,18 = £0,90)
Nice, your post is going to be useful. "Ouch" though... that will hurt in the pocket, I guess I'm gonna stick with derailleur for now haha.
Old 08-10-20, 02:58 AM
caiodorn

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MezzoLew
Keep posting bits and pieces on any forum page and you will then pass the photo limit soon!!

I also switched to Wellgo Alloy pedals. They are a great low cost upgrade.
I also have a bar end mirror which works a treat.
Here is my other mod - I added skateboard wheels to lift the bike clearer from the floor when wheeling it along and these wheels have better bearings so roll smoother.
This is something I plan to do, too. I've been considering the "easy rolling kit" sold by Ori, but they're a bit on the expensive side... plus VAT, plus shipping... might end up improvising roller wheels like you did. Did you have to use any extra parts other than longer screws?
Old 08-10-20, 04:30 AM
Winfried

"Ouch" though... that will hurt in the pocket, I guess I'm gonna stick with derailleur for now haha.
But then, if you ride it every day or so for a few years, it's worth the money IMHO.

Too bad Ori doesn't offer the M/C with a gear hub. The Mi8 City seems to have gone. Gear hubs make a lot more sense than a derailleur for city bikes.

https://ecycles.blogspot.com/2013/06/ori-mi8-city.html
Likes For Winfried:
Old 08-10-20, 04:58 AM
caiodorn

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
But then, if you ride it every day or so for a few years, it's worth the money IMHO.

Too bad Ori doesn't offer the M/C with a gear hub. The Mi8 City seems to have gone. Gear hubs make a lot more sense than a derailleur for city bikes.

I totally agree with you. It was more of a "better wait until I have money to spend" thing... since I am about to become a commuter in London, it would be nice to get rid of the derailleur for when the moist/sticky seasons come. It is all sunny now, so no big deal... let's see how it is going to behave when the ****ty weather returns.
Old 08-10-20, 05:32 AM
Winfried

At €40 for express shipping to the EU (the only current offer), it's barely worth it, but since you're on the right side of the river, SJS offers the Nexus 8 for only £70 + ~£5 for shipping.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hubs-int...black-32-hole/

As shown in the page, you'll have to get the rest of the parts (cassette joint, etc.)
Old 08-10-20, 05:51 AM
caiodorn

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
At €40 for express shipping to the EU (the only current offer), it's barely worth it, but since you're on the right side of the river, SJS offers the Nexus 8 for only £70 + ~£5 for shipping.

As shown in the page, you'll have to get the rest of the parts (cassette joint, etc.)
Can that stock price be taken seriously? #169.99 is a lot of money. I wish I had the money to invest in it now.
Old 08-10-20, 06:17 AM
Winfried

Q&A

"Why is it so heavily discounted? Are there been issues with that particular version? By Nick VC 07 Jun 2019

SJS Customer Service: Hi, no issues. We purchased some over stock from a cycle manufacturer at a knock down price hence the bargain. Thanks"
Old 08-10-20, 06:18 AM
Winfried

If I were you, I'd snap it fast while that offer is available, and buy the rest of the parts later when I have the dough.
Old 08-10-20, 02:18 PM
MezzoLew

Bikes: Mezzo D9, Nigel Dean Tour Master

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
This is something I plan to do, too. I've been considering the "easy rolling kit" sold by Ori, but they're a bit on the expensive side... plus VAT, plus shipping... might end up improvising roller wheels like you did. Did you have to use any extra parts other than longer screws?
All I used were longer screws. Stainless ones of course. Can't measure them for you just now as the bike is stranded at work and I am working from home!

There is also a further step where you add larger wheels at the front of the carrier frame. See photos. To do this you need to machine 2 plates as shown in the photo so I have not got round to that yet as I don't have easy access to a machine shop!

Old 08-11-20, 03:26 AM
caiodorn

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MezzoLew
All I used were longer screws. Stainless ones of course. Can't measure them for you just now as the bike is stranded at work and I am working from home!

There is also a further step where you add larger wheels at the front of the carrier frame. See photos. To do this you need to machine 2 plates as shown in the photo so I have not got round to that yet as I don't have easy access to a machine shop!
It looks good... too bad I don't have neither knowledge nor the machinery needed :/
Old 08-11-20, 03:28 AM
caiodorn

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
If I were you, I'd snap it fast while that offer is available, and buy the rest of the parts later when I have the dough.
I am also a guitar player in my spare time... musicians have a thing called "G.A.S." which stands for "Gear Acquisition Syndrome". Is there such a thing when it comes for bikes? Because that's what you've unleashed hahaha. Do you think I could fit a belt instead of a normal chain with the Nexus hub?
Old 08-11-20, 03:39 AM
Winfried

No idea, but belts and folders whose rear wheel moves around the frame make for a difficult combination, although it's been done:

https://www.google.com/search?q=brompton+belt+drive&tbm=isch

Considering the Ori folds like the Brompton — the wheels sandwich the chain —, I wouldn't bother and just get a chain guard.
Likes For Winfried:
Old 08-11-20, 03:56 AM
caiodorn

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
No idea, but belts and folders whose rear wheel moves around the frame make for a difficult combination, although it's been done:
Considering the Ori folds like the Brompton — the wheels sandwich the chain —, I wouldn't bother and just get a chain guard.
Looks good. Yeah, I've never used one myself... was just wondering if it would be possible. Thanks for the response.
Old 08-11-20, 10:29 AM
caiodorn

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I think I am allowed now... here is mine. I didn't expect to (never been a fan of folding bikes), but I ended up really digging this one. It is a pity that Mezzo did not do well as a brand... or at least not in the UK.

And I ended up buying that Nexus hub...

Likes For caiodorn:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.