Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Giant

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 11:14 PM
jjefferies

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Giant

My ignorance. I wasn't aware of Giant Bicycle manufacturer, apparently the world's largest manufacturer. Interesting article in the NY Times for those who haven't read it.
Sorry, apparently I can't post a link to the story. Go to NY Times (nytimes-dot-com) and look for "Sorry, the World's Biggest Bike Maker".
No shift in manufacturing to the US in the foreseeable future. But they're opening a new factory in Hungary?

The limitation on posting a link is rather idiotic IMO.

moderator's note: here is the link https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/17/b...-shortage.html

Last edited by unterhausen; 08-18-20 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-18-20, 12:00 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
You joined in August 2013 and this is your 8th post only? And what is the point of it anyway?
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 08-18-20, 06:27 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Giant makes frames for many other manufacturers as well as for its own bikes.
Old 08-18-20, 06:31 AM
DaverSomething

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
You joined in August 2013 and this is your 8th post only? And what is the point of it anyway?
At least his post was attempting to be constructive. Yours on the other hand... wow dude.
Old 08-18-20, 07:06 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
This just might be his Annual Post.

We'll all have to check back in a year to see if he posted again.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-18-20, 07:22 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
The industry is homogenized, frames coming from a few select manufacturers, components from a few select manufacturers, and then the two are put together with a name on the down tube. Many people do not know this, but now those reading this thread do. It has been this way for many decades. Giant is the big boy in the industry, and has really set the standard for production frames. One thing unique about Giant is they not only design their frames and forks, they build them, too. Trek, Specialized and most of the rest do not. They only design and spec, they do not build the actual frame and fork. Although I now ride custom frames, I have ridden several Giants, Treks, and Specialized in the past, and they all performed well.
There are also production frames that the actual manufacturer produces and a company such as Trek or Specialized (I am not saying they do this now) contract to buy the frames and have their name put on it. Many off-brand names do this and the consumer gets a price break. Nothing fancy, mind you, just a good solid platform from which to hang parts.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 08-18-20, 08:27 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Tough room.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 08-18-20, 09:14 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by DaverSomething
At least his post was attempting to be constructive. Yours on the other hand... wow dude.
That was exactly my point - there was absolutely nothing constructive about that post. A link to an article and then the rest was so random there was no point to it.

To clarify: consider the last sentence of the OP, seems a bit off to complain about that, and may have something to do with him having so few posts anyway. Then the rest is about Giant that OP didn't know was the largest (ok, great) and then something about manufacturing not in the US (why would it be, a Taiwanese company has no reason to produce in the US when even US giants, pun intended, like Apple outsource to China/Taiwan themselves). Please tell me, what was constructive about that post.

Last edited by ZHVelo; 08-18-20 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-18-20, 09:21 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Reported as spam. There is a report button, use it.

Also, stop being apologists for users in violation of forum rules. Spam is against forum rules. If you can't post a link due to forum rules on posts or posting, and try to circumvent that by "hey go look at this random thing you'll have to search for thus giving views and clicks to a site"........that's spam. Whether intentional or not.

The apologists should be receiving negative points also for being enablers.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-18-20, 09:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
When people argue over bike brands they have to understand that a half dozen mfg in the world make 99% of bike frames. Those mfg get in orders from the different brands, weld up a frame and paint it with the name of the bike company that ordered it. They for the most part are all the same bike with different paint and name on them.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-18-20, 09:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
though now companies like Giant are so big that they can make tooling patterns for their aluminum hydroforming machines
to even make the frame component tubes shaped differently for the customer brand importer..
Old 08-18-20, 09:47 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by burnthesheep

Also, stop being apologists for users in violation of forum rules. Spam is against forum rules. If you can't post a link due to forum rules on posts or posting, and try to circumvent that by "hey go look at this random thing you'll have to search for thus giving views and clicks to a site"........that's spam. Whether intentional or not.

And yet the post remains. How is this spam? The OP references a story about the bicycle industry. That seems fairly on topic.

"The apologist should be receiving negative points for being enablers." Okay. lol
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 08-18-20, 09:54 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
is this mic on?
Old 08-18-20, 09:55 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by jjefferies
I guess I missed this part when originally reading the post. It does seem a little silly to complain about the ten post requirement when the OP has been a member since 2013. Insert head scratch smiley here.
Old 08-18-20, 10:56 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by jjefferies
My ignorance. I wasn't aware of Giant Bicycle manufacturer, apparently the world's largest manufacturer. Interesting article in the NY Times for those who haven't read it.
Sorry, apparently I can't post a link to the story. Go to NY Times (nytimes-dot-com) and look for "Sorry, the World's Biggest Bike Maker".
No shift in manufacturing to the US in the foreseeable future. But they're opening a new factory in Hungary?

In regards to Hungary, they're building there because the demand is there and the labor rate is low. It's the same reason the small manufacturing shop I work at is viable, we target niche markets and maintain a close proximity to our customers.
Giant recently opened a factory in Hungary and aims to produce 300,000 bikes there next year. Many manufacturers have set up in Vietnam, but Southeast Asia doesn’t make sense for Giant, Ms. Tu said. Not enough of a local market for its bikes.
Some interesting quotes:
Ms. Tu said she found it hard to understand why Chinese business owners seemed to believe their customers cared only about price, not quality. “They are willing to spend tens of thousands of euros to drink a bottle of red wine,” she said. “Why do they think other people are willing to ride a $60 bicycle?”
While for decades developed nations looked towards other country's for cheap labor, now with China's booming middle class that's much more difficult...
Her concern, when it comes to China, is maintaining Giant’s work force there. Young people’s interest in factory jobs is declining. Hiring in China still seems tough at the moment, despite widespread layoffs. “Before, if we wanted to hire one worker in China, there would be three people lining up,” Ms. Tu said. “Now, if you are looking for three people, it’s nice if you have even one person lined up.”
Finally her viewpoint on manufacturing in America...
“If we can do more automation, then there will be a greater opportunity,” she said. “Under today’s automation, I think there’s absolutely no opportunity.”
​​​​​​
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 08-18-20, 11:04 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Your all just upset because wasn't an opportunity to post a pic of your Giant bike

Likes For hillyman:
Old 08-18-20, 11:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
In regards to Hungary, they're building there because the demand is there and the labor rate is low. It's the same reason the small manufacturing shop I work at is viable, we target niche markets and maintain a close proximity to our customers.

Some interesting quotes:

While for decades developed nations looked towards other country's for cheap labor, now with China's booming middle class that's much more difficult...

Finally her viewpoint on manufacturing in America...

​​​​​​
Also, diversifying where they manufacture affords opportunity to avoid tariffs.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-18-20, 11:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Just to let you know how much I respect your rather odd definition of spam, here's TWO links to the article OP referred to:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/17/b...-shortage.html

https://www.chicagotribune.com/natio...c3y-story.html

Seriously, OP neither violated the letter or the spirit of the no links under 10 posts rule. That's to prevent real spamming, not people calling attention to interesting items in the news.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-18-20, 11:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That was exactly my point - there was absolutely nothing constructive about that post. A link to an article and then the rest was so random there was no point to it.

To clarify: consider the last sentence of the OP, seems a bit off to complain about that, and may have something to do with him having so few posts anyway. Then the rest is about Giant that OP didn't know was the largest (ok, great) and then something about manufacturing not in the US (why would it be, a Taiwanese company has no reason to produce in the US when even US giants, pun intended, like Apple outsource to China/Taiwan themselves). Please tell me, what was constructive about that post.

It pointed to a really good article about the strategy of the world's largest bike manufacturer.

And there's a pretty interesting part of that article about what it would take for Giant to want to produce in the U.S. Also, a lot about the shortage, the U.S. China trade war and more.
Old 08-18-20, 11:29 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
We have a post limit to discourage spammers. It occasionally catches someone who doesn't post if they don't have anything novel to say. Many of us could learn from the OP in this regard.

I edited the OP to add the link, but I'll post it again: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/17/b...-shortage.html
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-18-20, 11:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by unterhausen
We have a post limit to discourage spammers. It occasionally catches someone who doesn't post if they don't have anything novel to say. Many of us could learn from the OP in this regard.

I edited the OP to add the link, but I'll post it again: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/17/b...-shortage.html
Thank you!

According to post #9 , you should demerit yourself as a spam apologist.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-18-20, 11:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
Your all just upset because wasn't an opportunity to post a pic of your Giant bike
My Surly touring bike is 60cm. Does that make it a giant bike?
Old 08-18-20, 01:37 PM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by livedarklions
It pointed to a really good article about the strategy of the world's largest bike manufacturer.

And there's a pretty interesting part of that article about what it would take for Giant to want to produce in the U.S. Also, a lot about the shortage, the U.S. China trade war and more.
And OP followed up on none of that in his OP beyond "no manufacturing in the US any time soon, but in Hungary ('oh my God stop the presses why not US but Hungary')".
Old 08-18-20, 01:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Thats a loose use of the word. I read this article on my own earlier today. Someone getting around the URL rules is just not a big deal to me when the article is from a newspaper. Context. Its different from if the website linked is for a product the poster is selling.
Old 08-18-20, 01:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
The point was to share a news article with everyone. I read this article earlier today and found it interesting since I like hearing about global supply chains.
Likes For mstateglfr:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.