Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ti-Raleigh Team 753 40th anniversary replica review

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ti-Raleigh Team 753 40th anniversary replica review

Old 09-17-20, 12:54 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I'm not going to lie... this thread is making me feel even better about picking this up about 20 years ago....

It is nice that Raleigh UK is keeping the spirit of the team bikes alive, but they could at least have gotten the decals right! I would hope they have captured the feel of the bike when you ride it... I don't think anyone has compared the ride of the replica to an original yet??

As the wise Mr. PCB has pointed out, there are a lot of other options out there for someone seeking a nice traditional British bike, especially if you don't want to wait for the right used bike to pop up for sale.

Steve in Peoria
And I'm still kicking myself for not, at one point there were holdovers that were under $1000 and I drug my feet looking for my size which there had been and missed out, ef me.

Last edited by merziac; 09-18-20 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-17-20, 02:06 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
I'm not going to lie... this thread is making me feel even better about picking this up about 20 years ago....
Those Prugnat 62's say it all.

-Kurt

Old 09-17-20, 02:19 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Those Prugnat 62's say it all.

-Kurt
I'll see your 62s and raise you a Mercian.

Old 09-18-20, 01:35 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,893 Times in 929 Posts
I don't think anyone has compared the ride of the replica to an original yet??
Not exactly a comparison, but this dude actually rides it:

WARNING: He likes it.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 09-18-20, 07:33 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by P!N20
It sounds like one of those Top Gear reviews where they're trying not to tick off the manufacturer by avoiding comparisons with the bikes that brought it about - thus ensuring all the comments wind up positive.

If he isn't a paid shill for Raleigh (he has 17K followers from his reviews and unboxing - definitely a possibility), he's probably comparing it against all the MTBs and modern gravel bikes that comprise the bulk of his other review videos. Of course an old-fashioned 753 road bike on asphalt is going to feel great by comparison.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 09-18-20 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-18-20, 07:51 AM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I like the concept and the bike, but in all fairness, I can't remember a review where the bike wasn't liked. I'm not sure if bikes are really all that good or if reviewers are under the thumb of the manufacturers.
Likes For capt_velo:
Old 09-18-20, 09:18 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Not exactly a comparison, but this dude actually rides it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeXPB1eid3c

somewhat off-topic... I'm amazed that he could handle a camera on a stick well enough to pan around from the cranks to the derailleur, etc., without either sticking the camera into the spokes or riding off the road! The man has skills!

He did say that he's been a big TI-Raleigh fan since boyhood, so I'm inclined to permit some gushing about the bike simply for the sake of nostalgia. I think the change to toe clips and friction shifting and narrow(?) bars is enough to just push a lot of nostalgia buttons. He did mention having to remember how to flip the pedals up. Overall, his comments on the bike were largely just about the older design and parts and not particularly specific to the reproduction frame itself.

I left a comment asking if he could do a comparison between the reproduction and the original. In the video, he says he consulted with Neil McGowran, who has put together a great compilation of info on the SBDU bikes....
https://raleigh-sb4059.com/2016/03/0...mber-timeline/
I'm hoping Mr. McGowran can loan him a SBDU bike for a proper comparison.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 09-18-20, 12:33 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
It sounds like one of those Top Gear reviews where they're trying not to tick off the manufacturer by avoiding comparisons with the bikes that brought it about - thus ensuring all the comments wind up positive.

If he isn't a paid shill for Raleigh (he has 17K followers from his reviews and unboxing - definitely a possibility), he's probably comparing it against all the MTBs and modern gravel bikes that comprise the bulk of his other review videos. Of course an old-fashioned 753 road bike on asphalt is going to feel great by comparison.

-Kurt
I dunno -- I've heard Jeremy Clarkson saying something feels like "absolute perfection" enough times to know a phony endorsement. This rider's reaction is more akin to the time the Top Gear boys raced in Monte Carlo, when it looked like Jeremy was going to cry. This bike clearly stirred the tester, and that's a good thing.

Last edited by noobinsf; 09-18-20 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-18-20, 02:45 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Fair enough, though you are getting indexed modern Campagnolo in the bargain.

True, one will have to wait for one to turn up in their size.

I wouldn't be surprised, it's arguably easier for a builder to work with - though 753, not so. Given the weight reported in the video, I wonder just how much 753 is in it.

Silkscreening and stickers - not a big deal for a large enough order. Wouldn't be surprised if Campagnolo simply dusted off one of their existing silkscreens from the 1990's to do it.

-Kurt
Actually, I am pretty sure the shift levers are ENE, they have the spool capacity to sweep 11 cogs BUT are ratchet at best, not index.

Maybe just a 753 seat tube and steerer?
Old 09-18-20, 02:57 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by noobinsf
I dunno -- I've heard Jeremy Clarkson saying something feels like "absolute perfection" enough times to know a phony endorsement. This rider's reaction is more akin to the time the Top Gear boys raced in Monte Carlo, when it looked like Jeremy was going to cry. This bike clearly stirred the tester, and that's a good thing.
Fair point, there may be some genuine enjoyment coming through. After all, if we completely ignore the paint job, it's a review of a nice, new 753 frame - which should be nice on its own merits.

Originally Posted by repechage
Actually, I am pretty sure the shift levers are ENE, they have the spool capacity to sweep 11 cogs BUT are ratchet at best, not index.

Maybe just a 753 seat tube and steerer?
You know, I just took it for granted that nobody would ever release anything with friction in this era. Makes you wonder all the more what they were thinking by creating a compact frame sloping top tube.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 09-18-20 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-18-20, 03:01 PM
repechage

Eroica Safe, but good luck that they will hold the 2021 California event in the Spring.
Old 09-18-20, 04:56 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
You know, I just took it for granted that nobody would ever release anything with friction in this era. Makes you wonder all the more what they were thinking by creating a compact frame.

-Kurt
A couple of degrees of top tube slope does not a compact frame make.

I can understand the argument that those 2 degrees shouldn't be there, given that the original bike didn't have them. I can even understand that those 2 degrees ruin the bike for you, although I pretty fervently disagree. Mostly because I don't consider it a replica, but rather a tribute, so my standards are different. (But then, I'd rather have that Brian Bayliss-built, decaled, and painted replica Colnago than any real one ever made, unless Eddy rode it, and even then I'd probably want the Bayliss.)

But calling it a compact is hyperbole. It isn't.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 09-18-20, 06:15 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised, it's arguably easier for a builder to work with - though 753, not so. Given the weight reported in the video, I wonder just how much 753 is in it.
Actually, I am pretty sure the shift levers are ENE, they have the spool capacity to sweep 11 cogs BUT are ratchet at best, not index. Maybe just a 753 seat tube and steerer?
According to specs on the Raleigh website, Maxway used a full set of 753 tubes in making the frames,

Fork - Raleigh Ti Replica Full Reynolds 753 Custom Made Tubing, Brazed Lugs
Frame - Raleigh Ti Replica Full Reynolds 753 Custom Made Tubing, Brazed Lugs
https://www.raleigh.co.uk/gb/en/ti-r...ition-bicycle/

While this bike is not for me (cost), it seems to have earned positive reviews.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/...eplica-review/
Old 09-18-20, 06:46 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by NatusEstInSuht
According to specs on the Raleigh website, Maxway used a full set of 753 tubes in making the frames,

...and we're back to where the thread started.

Originally Posted by ShannonM
A couple of degrees of top tube slope does not a compact frame make.

I can understand the argument that those 2 degrees shouldn't be there, given that the original bike didn't have them. I can even understand that those 2 degrees ruin the bike for you, although I pretty fervently disagree. Mostly because I don't consider it a replica, but rather a tribute, so my standards are different. (But then, I'd rather have that Brian Bayliss-built, decaled, and painted replica Colnago than any real one ever made, unless Eddy rode it, and even then I'd probably want the Bayliss.)

But calling it a compact is hyperbole. It isn't.
Fair point, it's not a compact frame. I'm going to edit that previous post. It gets a bit laborious to type "sloping top tube" every time; looks like my brain took the quick way out.

I've said this before, but If Raleigh wasn't trying to pass this off as a fairly faithful attempt at an SBDU tribute (I'm not going to elevate it to replica - it isn't), I wouldn't be as miffed about that top tube. But they've gone through all the effort of spec'ing the frame with friction shifting, non-aero brake levers, long horizontal dropouts (admittedly, debatable whether the result is nice or not, but they made the effort) and a host of other usability concessions to give it a proper period look - right down to building it with 753.

...and then they decide to chuck all this effort to the wind by ignoring one of the fundamental concepts that separate this era of lugged steel bikes from everything else? No, I won't let that pass. It's the principle of the thing.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-19-20, 09:30 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

SBDU Neil has posted a video about the sloping top tube - and an interesting theory about why Raleigh got this wrong:

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 09-19-20 at 05:08 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-19-20, 12:58 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by NatusEstInSuht

What they showed in the promotional mfg video was not silver brazing... More like Brass....
So much for low temp.
Old 09-19-20, 01:11 PM
repechage

SBDU Neal has posted a video about the sloping top tube - and an interesting theory about why Raleigh got this wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Ez4xPKNiM

-Kurt
Of the period, Raleigh and many others measured center to top as noted, so, in keeping with retro assumptions, the bike is built "correct" for the seat tube length.
Scaling up or down the TdF winning bike is treacherous, but as from the look of it, all the bikes have a rising top tube.
I think it was done knowlingly.
MAYBE adapting to the off the shelf lugs used? Adjusting angles on a investment cast lug is not a sound production plan.
More in keeping with how lugged builders adapt to threadless steerers from time to time, the Richard Sachs lug line as one example range.

Should have just stated they did it on purpose.
There are plenty of adaptations on this frame, 130mm spacing...
Old 09-19-20, 02:28 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
What they showed in the promotional mfg video was not silver brazing... More like Brass....
So much for low temp.
Do you have a link to this video? Raleigh has three videos on this bike posted to its official YouTube site, but none seem to show any footage of them brazing this frame.
Thank you in advance.
Old 09-19-20, 03:30 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

but as from the look of it, all the bikes have a rising top tube.
I think it was done knowlingly.

The gentleman in the video is one of the foremost - if not the foremost authority on SBDUs, and has more of these things on hand for reference than Raleigh UK themselves.

He wouldn't have made a video indicating that the replica geometry was incorrect if it was correct.

-Kurt

Old 09-19-20, 04:28 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by capt_velo
I like the concept and the bike, but in all fairness, I can't remember a review where the bike wasn't liked. I'm not sure if bikes are really all that good or if reviewers are under the thumb of the manufacturers.
It's a bike. They are inherently fun. As soon as I read as I read things like "dead", "lively", "tracks", "vertically compliant, laterally stiff", or any other bullsh*t when a person likes or dislikes a bike, I laugh. Reminds me of Miles, A little citrus, maybe some strawberry… passion fruit… and there’s the faintest soupcon of like… asparagus… and just a… a flutter of a nutty Edam cheese.

Pros have been riding every geometry, wheel/tire setup, component combination imaginable. They will all take those
"dead", "lively", "tracks", "vertically compliant, laterally stiff" bikes and crush every soul on this forum. The bike is moot.

It's a bike people, they are fun. And now we have 3 pages of sucking the fun out of bikes. Well done.
Old 09-19-20, 04:33 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
It's a bike. They are inherently fun. As soon as I read as I read things like "dead", "lively", "tracks", "vertically compliant, laterally stiff", or any other bullsh*t when a person likes or dislikes a bike, I laugh. Reminds me of Miles, A little citrus, maybe some strawberry… passion fruit… and there’s the faintest soupcon of like… asparagus… and just a… a flutter of a nutty Edam cheese.

Pros have been riding every geometry, wheel/tire setup, component combination imaginable. They will all take those
"dead", "lively", "tracks", "vertically compliant, laterally stiff" bikes and crush every soul on this forum. The bike is moot.

It's a bike people, they are fun. And now we have 3 pages of sucking the fun out of bikes. Well done.
"I'm getting notes of lemongrass..."

Everyone's a cicerone these days.
Old 09-19-20, 05:22 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
It seems the bike would be better described as a "tribute" than as a "replica."
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-19-20, 07:36 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
If Raleigh asked me to design a frame as a modern tribute to their 70’s flagship racing bicycle (I’m a British trained 753 certified builder - but they never would) I wouldn’t do it that much different than this new one – including sloping the top tube a little. I bet I am also the only BFC&V member who was actually watched them build 753 frames in Ilkeston.

Let’s start with who would be a target market for a new Raleigh steel bicycle with a 1” top tube. My guess it would be someone that wanted one 40 years ago and now in the 60’s and 70’s has a 2nd chance. They could also be followers of Jan Heine who promotes the advantages of skinny thin tubed frames. These potential now fatter and less flexible buyers in their later years are not likely to still be comfortable with 5 to 10 cm of seat to handlebar drop they would have had when they were younger, thinner and faster. In other words no slammed stems. Let’s think of how to compensate for that.

Almost all of my older framebuilding class students/customers have found their balance point on a fitting bike to require a 72º or less seat angle. That takes the pressure off of their hands now holding up their enlarged upper body. They also correspondingly like higher handlebars with little drop compared to their seat. This means they need to ride as big a frame as possible (read longer head tube) that they can still comfortably straddle or a goofy amount of quill stem will be sticking out above the head tube.

Now that we have the parameters of need, we can start to design a frame that will work for them. A shallower seat angle will also require a shallower head angle or Raleigh lawyers will get grumpy about the liability of toe overlap. 72/72 will make our aging market happier riders than 73/73. A sloping top tube can be easily obtained by using more commonly available 74º lugs. It isn’t just the top and seat lugs but also the down tube lug angle that has to agree. That lug is often what controls the choice of lugs. Heat treated tubes require exact lug angles to avoid more expensive hand labor. I’m still willing to bet that available choices for the 3 lugs that fit 1” top tubes with a shape representative of the old is the primary reason for the slope of the tube and that it was intentional.

While eagle eyed Kurt dislikes anything but a dead level top tube, most riders don’t mind a little top tube slope. I know this because most of my students build frames with a little slope because of the availability of the lugs they prefer to use. I show all of them a bicycle or two in the shop that has up to 2º of slope and ask them if they notice or mind. Almost nobody ever has (and I’ve taught hundreds of students how to make frames since 1976). Occasionally a level top tube is important to someone. They are the exception.

Again the advantage of a sloping top tube is that it reduces the amount of stem extension above the headset for a given straddle height – a plus for our aging market that needs higher handlebars. Other factors I would do would be to lower the bottom bracket height from 270/75mm to 260mm. This allows a bigger frame to be straddled. It is unlikely the buyer will be pedaling through corners at speed anymore. If they are they are likely to be using clipless pedals with more clearance. A bigger frame also means a longer head tube that reduces stem extension. I would also put in a 1cm spacer in the headset to further help hide our quill stem extension. The steerer could be cut shorter and the spacer eliminated if someone wanted a deeper drop. For that matter I would also add a bit of height to the top tube lug for the same reason.

I would also make the brake distance be able to fit old school 47/57mm brakes. “Short reach” brakes with 39/49 clearance came in the late 70’s. However riders like much wider tires now so longer reach brakes would be more popular today. And I would keep the rear width 130mm so most new road wheels would fit. And while we are at it add 10 or more mms to the chain stay length since the cyclist will be siting further back. All of these tweaks would not be big changes from the original specs but would certainly make an older rider more comfortable. It is going to be a rare person able to collect social security that would want a flat out 1980 racing bicycle.

To sum up, I would modify the original racing design a bit to fit the riders most likely to buy a tribute model. The color scheme would be enough to make is seem original. Of course if someone asked my opinion I would suggest going to a custom builder and get everything exactly like you wanted.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 09-19-20, 11:41 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,227 Posts
Hehehehehe, @Doug Fattic -

I’ve been full custom (steel) with Jon Tallerico, semi-custom with Craig Calfee and also a Co-Motion tandem.

Listening to you tell me what I might need and why. And explaining how to achieve what I want......,

......makes me want to go find a builder and have that handling/comfort/color discussion.

Lugged steel Tallerico, slightly sloping tt, modest extension on 1 1/8” head-tube, fastback stays. CF fork identified at start of design process. Still rockin original Campy10. If both buyer ‘n builder get it right, it lasts.
A recent pic:

Makes me smile
Old 09-20-20, 05:08 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Which is it?

"It's a crying shame big manufacturers don't make steel frame/fork, quill stem, down tube shifter, rim brake bikes anymore".

"That's a miserable excuse for a currently produced bicycle; the steel frame has a non-level top tube, drop outs that don't look like the old ones, the down tube shifters are friction only and the decals are all wrong".

It's no wonder to me why companies don't make bikes like this anymore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.