Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Decoding of Eddy Merckx frames

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Decoding of Eddy Merckx frames

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-20, 05:20 PM
DuraAcer

Bikes: 1979 Olmo SG Full Panto, 1986 DeRosa SLX, 1989 Eddy Merckx SLX Team-Stuttgart, 1994 Albuch Kotter Cromor, 2006 Campus/Rohloff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you!

Dear Jacek and everybody else here,

first of all thank you very much for your work, it is an absolute pleasure to read all the fine details and story's about our most favorite bikes.

I own since this spring my first Eddy Merckx - Team Stuttgart, originally bought in 89/90 at Rose-Bikes in Germany with Shimano 600 Groupset, i am the second owner.

Serial: A 2X - B3890

I have upgrade her with a lot of Dura-Ace 7402/7403 components and new Claris 8-Speed STIs (breath!) they look very nice on the Deda Handlebars with white Tape, but much more important: the bikes rides astonishingly good, absolute crisp up- and downshifts and the feeling on the brake with the big hoods are amazing! I hesitated with the upgrades, but in the end i am very pleased with all of it.

Is it possible that you sold this year a few unpainted EMC Frames without Forks?

botty kayer
Thank you Sir, now i have a new G.O.A.T. in my Heart, if you ever want to sell it, please, just please, let me know...
Breathtaking beautiful Bike, would love to see more pictures when finished.

Thank you all and best regards from Germany!
DuraAcer
Likes For DuraAcer:
Old 10-16-20, 12:16 AM
CyclesMakaron

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Indeed, I have sold several EMC frames this year, some of them unpainted, two of them without forks... (I am limiting my collection to the necessary minimum - currently 1 bike and 7 frames)
Perhaps you are referring to my fellow countryman, who puts up a raw frame without forks from the 2008/2009 stock sale (there are always a few on ebay and they are always poorly described, but they are authentic).
Old 10-16-20, 12:47 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 532 Posts
Hello and welcome DuraAcer , and thanks for the bike compliments

I have built up the bike and have been putting some miles on it. The details of the build are on another thread, see here: https://www.bikeforums.net/21656545-post781.html

And here's a picture of it from a recent ride, the pics don't quite convey how much it sparkles in the sunshine, the green seems to melt people's hearts, mine included.

I look forward to seeing pictures of yours.

Ride safe, regards Dan
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 10-16-20, 04:15 AM
DuraAcer

Bikes: 1979 Olmo SG Full Panto, 1986 DeRosa SLX, 1989 Eddy Merckx SLX Team-Stuttgart, 1994 Albuch Kotter Cromor, 2006 Campus/Rohloff

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer
Hello and welcome DuraAcer , and thanks for the bike compliments

I have built up the bike and have been putting some miles on it. The details of the build are on another thread, see here:

And here's a picture of it from a recent ride, the pics don't quite convey how much it sparkles in the sunshine, the green seems to melt people's hearts, mine included.

I look forward to seeing pictures of yours.

Ride safe, regards Dan

MY GOD, SHE IS SO BEAUTIFUL!!!

I have goosebumps only by watching your pictures, the waiting and hustle was absolutely worth it.

I will post pictures of my beauty, when she is done completely, currently i am on the hunt for a 175 or 177,5 DU 7402 Crankset which is not worn down or costs more then a current DU Crankset.

CyclesMakaron

I have found a very strange "Team-Stuttgart" with a white Fork and red highlights for sale. Chainstays are fully chromed

Serial: K 7X - C2559

I have also found a early Team Telekom Bike with the Serial: H 9X - C2519 , which would mean that is was produced before the "Team Stuttgart", which makes no sense to me, other then somebody ordered a custom Paintjob.

What do u you think about it? If needed, i will post pictures as soon as i can.

Thank you and best regards!
Old 10-16-20, 04:37 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
D A 9174
M F 2533 (possibly H F 2533)
Old 10-16-20, 05:25 AM
Seanaus

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by DuraAcer
I have also found a early Team Telekom Bike with the Serial: H 9X - C2519 , which would mean that is was produced before the "Team Stuttgart", which makes no sense to me, other then somebody ordered a custom Paintjob.
This I find very interesting. Do you have a link to ,or pictures of this bicycle? Does it have a number hanger? There are several possible scenarios. I'll be interested to hear Jacek's opinion. Regards Seanaus.
Old 10-16-20, 10:23 AM
CyclesMakaron

Both frames ( ^7X C2559 and H9X C2519) were built in the autumn of 1990, at a time when the "Stuttgart pattern" was still remembered and popular and the "Telekom pattern" was already approved and shown in catalogues for 1991.
As a rule, when the new "painting pattern" appeared, it appeared "in advance", i.e. in September of the year preceding the "catalogue debut" at the latest (because it was then - at the latest - that photos were taken for catalogues for the following year). For example, the 1993 catalogue showed models and painting patterns existing as early as August/September 1992... but it did not show all the models, modifications (and sometimes paintings) actually available on sale since the beginning of 1993... The 1993 catalogue is exemplary in this respect: it shows the early versions of Mx Leader produced only in 1992, but it does not show the final version from 1993; Merckx Donnay is an extreme example because production was completed as late as autumn 1992 (the traditional Donnay bankruptcy)
General rule: a calendar year has nothing to do with a year in the cycling business
D A9174 - built in 1988; it was a period when one tried to mark frames carefully with codes of a tube or model type... Unfortunately, it was also a period of introduction of new models of Century 653 and Grand Prix (753), which did not have any code markings... The most important difference was the chrome plating scheme (see EMC catalogue 1989) - but there were exceptions to the rule...
H F2533 - built in the middle of 1994; and this is the period when the careful marking of frames with a full set of codes began to be abandoned... and probably most models were built
Mx Leader, Corsa Extra, Century, Arcobaleno early, Corsa, Corsa Thron, Corsa 01 early, Corsa 01 late, Strada, Strada OS, Titanal, Alu Oria, Titane, Titane EM and Trekking, Cyclocross, Pista, Lady...and Corsa Extra 26' - I certainly forgot something
Photos are always welcome...
Likes For CyclesMakaron:
Old 10-16-20, 06:10 PM
DuraAcer

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclesMakaron
Both frames ( ^7X C2559 and H9X C2519) were built in the autumn of 1990, at a time when the "Stuttgart pattern" was still remembered and popular and the "Telekom pattern" was already approved and shown in catalogues for 1991.
As a rule, when the new "painting pattern" appeared, it appeared "in advance", i.e. in September of the year preceding the "catalogue debut" at the latest (because it was then - at the latest - that photos were taken for catalogues for the following year). For example, the 1993 catalogue showed models and painting patterns existing as early as August/September 1992... but it did not show all the models, modifications (and sometimes paintings) actually available on sale since the beginning of 1993... The 1993 catalogue is exemplary in this respect: it shows the early versions of Mx Leader produced only in 1992, but it does not show the final version from 1993; Merckx Donnay is an extreme example because production was completed as late as autumn 1992 (the traditional Donnay bankruptcy)
General rule: a calendar year has nothing to do with a year in the cycling business
D A9174 - built in 1988; it was a period when one tried to mark frames carefully with codes of a tube or model type... Unfortunately, it was also a period of introduction of new models of Century 653 and Grand Prix (753), which did not have any code markings... The most important difference was the chrome plating scheme (see EMC catalogue 1989) - but there were exceptions to the rule...
H F2533 - built in the middle of 1994; and this is the period when the careful marking of frames with a full set of codes began to be abandoned... and probably most models were built
Mx Leader, Corsa Extra, Century, Arcobaleno early, Corsa, Corsa Thron, Corsa 01 early, Corsa 01 late, Strada, Strada OS, Titanal, Alu Oria, Titane, Titane EM and Trekking, Cyclocross, Pista, Lady...and Corsa Extra 26' - I certainly forgot something
Photos are always welcome...
Thank your so much! You are the living Eddy Merckx Archive!

Can you tell me something about my EMC TS - Serial: A 2X - B3890? I assume its from 1989.

Best regards!
Old 10-16-20, 11:11 PM
CyclesMakaron

A2X B3890 - built in 1989 (~ March); Columbus SLX (if 2=52cm) or SLX/SPX (if 2=62cm) tubes
If you are lucky, you will find a note with additional information on the steering tube
Likes For CyclesMakaron:
Old 10-17-20, 01:35 AM
Mackers

Reynolds tubing would explain a lot. I really never enjoyed the ride of this frame, which is why it's been in storage for most of the time that I've owned it. Odd colour scheme which makes me think it's a respray and probably why I never was able to confidently identify it. Pulled it out to take a picture....

H F 2533 is a run of the mill MX Leader, forgot to mention that, just thought you might want to add it to your data base.
Likes For Mackers:
Old 10-17-20, 05:00 AM
Seanaus

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 52 Posts
Excellent info as always Jacek, many thanks for the good work
Old 10-17-20, 10:04 AM
CyclesMakaron

Your "Reynolds" (probably Century 653) was painted in Meise - that is the painting (marked with TBR code) used in 2002-2004 - very elegant frame
Old 10-21-20, 03:56 PM
fleurgle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there - new to the forum. Would love some help identifying an Eddy Merckx bike left to me by a friend who passed away recently.

P (on the left)
Z4746 (on the right)

Thank you!
Old 10-21-20, 11:59 PM
CyclesMakaron

P Z4746 - frame of 1985
We can choose between EMC models:
- 3-Athlete (should have lugs with cutouts)
- Corsa (lugs with cutouts and the indication C - around the indication P)
- Professional (Columbus SL)
- Professional (Reynolds 531 - designation R near designation P)
- Pro SLX (designation X near P and break bridge "flat bottom")
- Pro 753 (break bridge "flat bottom")
Check the lugs and break bridge - that's where to start...
Likes For CyclesMakaron:
Old 10-22-20, 06:18 AM
fleurgle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, thank you. Looks like I have a bit of detective work to do.
Old 10-27-20, 12:28 PM
vrenlos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any idea on A4 Z405?
Old 10-27-20, 02:09 PM
CyclesMakaron

Is this the famous ebay frame?
Unfortunately I have no contact with the seller... which in its description refers to cadre.org - which gives a good chance for trouble
This is neither Corsa Extra nor Professional - this is 3-Athlete (Reynolds 501) from 1984, very nicely preserved btw frame.
Old 10-27-20, 02:22 PM
vrenlos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this the famous ebay frame?
Unfortunately I have no contact with the seller... which in its description refers to cadre.org - which gives a good chance for trouble
This is neither Corsa Extra nor Professional - this is 3-Athlete (Reynolds 501) from 1984, very nicely preserved btw frame.
Hahaha sure is. The seller sent me a few more pics upon request, but seems an odd mix of knowledgeable and not at the same time. Thanks! If I find out anything else I'll let you know.
Old 10-27-20, 03:25 PM
vrenlos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another message from the seller: "The original owner said that the frame had a Reynolds 753 sticker on it that was damaged and removed, it was at the top of the seat tube."
Old 10-28-20, 12:44 AM
CyclesMakaron

4 characteristics for 3-Athlete:
- exceptional dropouts
- lugs with cut-outs
- unusual BB cover (without recesses)
- "own design" of the inscription Eddy Merckx (early series)
You will find all these features in this frame
All the early Pro 753 I have seen so far had:
- the classic Campagnolo dropouts
- normal short lugs
- BB cover with recesses (4 or 6)
- the "own design" of the inscription Eddy Merckx (mostly)
- the early series for the American market had the numbers ~Z1100 and red and white painting (identical to Team TeVe Blad 1985)
Old 10-28-20, 02:58 PM
candres41

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The frame is Corsa Extra from 1986
Modified - top tube slides are a version introduced in 1992
Painted - designs in this style were used between 1993 and 1997
A fork in this style is characteristic of the Corsa
Questions:
Do you see 'riflings' inside the tubes in BB cover?
What is on the fork crown - Eddy and Merckx lettering or EM logo ?
Hi CyclesMakaron, thank you for the information you have provided me, and sorry for the delayed response (original post was back from September 9th for your reference), The bottom bracket does have the typical threading that would exist in a bottom bracket, but there is additional rifling that is inside of the normal tube threading.
The Fork crown shows the lettering eddy on the left crown side and merckx on the hand side.
Old 10-29-20, 01:30 AM
Mackers

Your "Reynolds" (probably Century 653) was painted in Meise - that is the painting (marked with TBR code) used in 2002-2004 - very elegant frame
Thanks for clarifying the odd color scheme, but could they also have rechromed the frame? I've looked at tons of pctures of Century frames but have found none with chromed seat stays like mine.
Old 10-29-20, 02:31 AM
CyclesMakaron

candres 41 - it looks like a "mixed set": SLX frame (Corsa Extra), SL fork (Professional/Corsa) - rebuilt and repainted...
Mackers - chrome plating of the whole rear triangle was an option available to everyone; EMC performed such orders very rarely before 1990 in frames built with 753 and 653 (in both models the rear triangle was made of ...753 - a material very difficult to chrome plating). Since 1990 they did it without any problem ... But the 653 frames were no longer produced and the 753 were built in very short series.
If the chrome is in good condition, the frame may be chrome plated and painted on the same occasion.
Likes For CyclesMakaron:
Old 11-01-20, 01:38 AM
hlesmana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone,
my name is Harry, from Indonesia.
I would like to identify my repainted Eddy Merckx frame.
Bottom bracket left side stamped H 2 M
right side A 9786.
The dropouts stamped columbus.
also i would like to know the right color motive for the frame.
Thank you

Cheers
Harry
Old 11-01-20, 05:33 AM
CyclesMakaron

H2M A9786 - early Strada model (Columbus Cromor), frame built in mid 1988
Check the steering tube - the original paint should remain on it (even after repainting); if the original sheet of paper glued to the steering tube has been preserved, you can read the painting code from it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.