Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Chain or belt?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Chain or belt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-20, 06:14 PM
Telkwa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Chain or belt?

Anyone have any thoughts about belt drive vs. chain in mild off-road conditions, like gravel rail-to-trail?

I like our e-mtn. bikes, but they're geared for singletrack. We're usually clipping along in the highest gears. I recently replaced both chainsets. The smallest cogs were skipping while the larger cogs were barely worn.

So I'm curious about some of these belt-drive bikes, like the Trek Allant+ 9S. Or the beautiful Riese & Muller bikes if money falls from the sky.
Old 10-22-20, 07:33 PM
frizzen

Bikes: 1955 Hercules Royal Prince Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Watch this:

Belts Are The BEST Bicycle Drivetrain Available (Epic Testing!)

The only downside is the price.
Likes For frizzen:
Old 10-22-20, 08:02 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Belt drives shine in gravel and off road conditions. Would love to have one for that type of riding.

But sounds to me that you don't need a belt drive so much as a larger front chain ring. Also realize nothing wears a cog faster than a worn/stretched chain. Make sure you check your chain for wear on a regular basis and replace often. If your cassette needed replacing at the same time as your chain than you waited way too long to replace the chain.

Always have to laugh when people say something is the "best" except for cost. Cost is always an issue. Often it is the deciding issue on what is "best", especially in the case of bicycle drives. Belt drives mean some sort of internal gear hub which can be expensive. Derailleur systems give a lot of performance for relatively low cost.
Old 10-22-20, 08:11 PM
Alan Bikes
Banned

Bikes: cruiser, bmx,road

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Belt rings wear fast if ridden in wet/dirty conditions. There's no fix if something goes wrong with the belt.
Old 10-22-20, 08:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
I would go Belt and Rohloff E-14. If I wasn't doing that Chain and at least 10 speed Deore but ideally 11 speed XT but of course I would need to shift as I would with a normal bike. A chain and cassette are silly if you aren't shifting and just sitting in your harder gears all the time and using the motor as your gearing. I would just then switch it to a single speed and get a nice hardened steel or titanium cog and maybe see if I can get a larger front chainring and a larger cog at the back to keep the gearing I want but prolong life.

It is tough to beat R+M, sure they are expensive but it is a long term bike and if you get it set up to your spec you will be golden. For me it is this bike but I personally would swap to a different stem and handle bar for my tastes (and because R+Ms new stems are just too crazy for me I get the idea but it isn't quite the right length for me and I don't want or need the minor adjustments and would upgrade to a Kinekt seatpost (nothing against Cane Creek, love their stuff generally but Kinekt does seatposts better).
Old 10-22-20, 09:15 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
I have two off road touring analog bikes, one with chain and one with belt drive. I prefer the chain drive, as chains are relatively cheap, and cogs and chain wheels are relatively cheap to swap out and replace as opposed to belt compatible cogs and belt wheels. It cost several hundred dollars to get a lower gear on one of my bikes, by the time I replaced the front belt wheel and the belt. Plus the cost of carrying a spare belt on a tour. Belt tension is critical on a belt drive and while I haven't had any problems, a friend had some problems with her rohloff because the belt had too much tension. I dont know if there are any other considerations for a belt on an ebike
Chains are easy to find and to maintain, and on a IHG tend to last a long time, if properly maintained.

Having said all that, the belt drive has worked perfectly, no problems and of course zero maintenance (just watch that belt tension). so if you really love the idea, go for it.

The R+M bikes are beautiful, but yikes, look at the price! Even if I had the money I dont think I could make myself spend that much for a bike.
Old 10-22-20, 09:45 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
My commuter has a Gates carbon belt. Not typically used offroad but winter shoulder and bike-lane riding around Portland can be offroad-ish. I have done some trail riding and even one CX race using the belt drive. I love the idea of belt drive, but if I were to do it again I'd go with a chain. While the belt might be lower maintenance in theory, it doesn't take too many flats on the road before lower maintenance is surpassed by higher roadside effort.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-23-20, 10:50 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
At times, I'm too far away from civilization for a belt to be feasible (for me). I've only had a chain or derailleur problem a couple of times in many years of off road riding, and was able to repair the problem. A belt malfunction would mean a long walk.
Old 10-26-20, 01:03 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Never going back to external gears, and unless completely unavoidable, I'm not going back to chain again ever. I much prefer belts, but you need a frame stiff enough (for the Rohloff) and with a way to separate the stay somewhere.

I use the Gates CDX:EXP system, if the type of belt matters.

Edit:
I don't get the "higher effort" another poster, well, posted. My bike is designed for it, so once adjusted, you can quickly take off the wheel and belt, and just as easily fit it after the puncture repair (it fits in the same place every time with no adjustment necessary).

Last edited by CargoDane; 10-26-20 at 01:07 PM.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 10-26-20, 01:35 PM
KennyFSU

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I guess the answer is, depends on where you ride.

Coming from motorcycles, I always preferred belt (or shaft) drive over chain; less maintenance.
Old 10-27-20, 11:18 AM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I have wanted a Rohloff with belt drive for a long time. But I'm not sure how the belt would work on my Trek 520. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 10-27-20, 11:36 AM
2old

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluesfrog
I have wanted a Rohloff with belt drive for a long time. But I'm not sure how the belt would work on my Trek 520. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Probably not well at all since you'd need to cut the frame in order to install it
Likes For 2old:
Old 10-27-20, 10:48 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I'm thinking about getting this because I'm sick of replacing chains, casettes, and lubing. Pretty affordable.

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/current
Old 10-31-20, 03:01 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
I'm thinking about getting this because I'm sick of replacing chains, casettes, and lubing. Pretty affordable.

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/current
that does look interesting. CVT hub.
Old 11-01-20, 09:38 AM
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager

Bikes: Road, mountain and folding

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Having owned bikes with chains for 50 years, the Gates belt was one of the factors to my recent purchase of a Tern HSD 8Si. So far, so good.
Old 11-02-20, 12:04 AM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Belt drive. All the way.

Giant made a cheap belt drive for 2018-2019 - the LaFree E+1. A Class 1. Nothing special regarding the frame, it was considered an entry level commuter with no shocks and an old fashioned placement of the 400w battery on the rear rack. But the belt drive and IGH took it light years above anything else around its price range ($2,500). Already have over 3,000 miles of gravel road riding on my 2019 LaFree E+1, and its silence and zero care needed is...phenomenal. I've ridden a R&M and can honestly say there was little difference beyond the shocks and the number of gears offered (14 vs the LaFree's 8). The cost difference between the two bikes is massive. ($8-9k vs $2.5k). And Giant has excellent motors - silent and reliable.

I loath cleaning chains (even tho I do it religiously) and thus find that I only use my chain driven Turbo Vado on the clean paved roads because of the junk a chain will pick up. For any dirt or gravel or crappy weather conditions, the belt driven LaFree is my bike of choice. I'm going to jailbreak with a BadAss delimiter (already have it waiting to be installed) once the LAFree's motor warranty is up next May.

I have been looking at Giant's ebike lineups for 2021. The chain driven LaFree is listed, but not the belt drive. Wasn't listed for 2020 either. I'm guessing they aren't making it anymore. Shame because it's a great bike for gravel riding.

The Priority Current looks interesting but would like to know who makes the motor.

Last edited by momsonherbike; 11-02-20 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-04-21, 03:56 AM
fireboy1337

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I used a chain for a long time, but then I switched to a belt. The belt snapped and I was back on the chain. That's it