Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When Do You Put on Your Studded Tires?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-20, 12:39 PM
John Foster

Bikes: '16 Scott CR1 '82 Norco MagnumII

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

I bought my first set of studded tires about 3 weeks ago. The dealer told me not to put them on yet at that time. I live in Southern Ontario, and we expect to start into a cold spell after this weekend, but still fluctuating day time highs. I don't want to causes unnecessary wear on the studs, I also don't want to lose control on an early morning ice patch. I go to work long before the sun comes up and go home after we have passed the daytime high. What criteria do other forum users use?

Thanks

John
Old 11-13-20, 01:49 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
When the snow stays on the ground here that is rare but when I was in the north country that was a couple weeks ago
Old 11-13-20, 04:09 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
It may be tricky if it’s your only bike. If you have a dedicated winter bike I say put them on now. Putting studded tires on for a bad day then changing back to regular tires gets old fast.
Old 11-13-20, 05:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
I don't ever need studded tires where I live and early on when I started working at this shop and they were talking studded tires I told them they wouldn't sell don't buy them and they were dumb and did it anyway. Still have those tires years later.

If you are worried I would pick up a set of wheels dedicated to those tires at least for now and you can just swap wheels if you don't want to swap tires. Or have a dedicated winter rig, maybe something fixed or single speed (unless exceptionally hilly).
Old 11-13-20, 06:07 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
After many years of swapping tires and dealing with my bikes getting trashed, I assembled a dedicated winter bike. It comes out when the salt trucks come through.

One option is to ride with just a front studded tire. This will minimize stud wear, rolling resistance, noise, etc., but will give you enough control to stay upright on minor ice patches if you're careful.
Old 11-13-20, 06:09 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
I've ridden all winter for only 12 winters and I can share with you what I've learned from that. Others who have ridden more in worse will undoubtedly opine. You have to break in studded tires from new by riding them on pavement for about 40 KMS. No fancy riding, jumping curbs etc. This gives the studs a chance to seat properly.

As to when to put them on and keep them there is weather dependent and your weather will differ than from here. I'll put them on when I know the snow on the ground is going to stay and that there is a significant amount of it. Currently I'm running Trek Connection knobbies in the interim. Studded tires s-l-o-w you down and if you can get away with not using them for as long as possible then by all means.

Why not run them for break-in on dry pavement now, then swap to a set of low rolling knobbies, then when the snow is around to stay swap out to studs.
Old 11-13-20, 07:07 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,918 Posts
I put them in use when there's enough snow & winter zombies necessitating it.
Old 11-14-20, 05:55 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Fortunately that's one thing I don't have to worry about here in Shanghai - it's simply not cold enough for snow (which only happens maybe once or twice a year at most) to stay on the ground here.
Old 11-14-20, 07:29 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Hopefully it is different where you live, but my biggest danger is after the first few freezes and people still have sprinkler systems on with poorly aimed nozzles that produce a spray on the street.

I have a spare set of wheels that I swap in when it is below freezing (the night before, usually). I have rim brakes, so I don’t have to worry about brake disk rub when swapping wheels.

Take my advice with a grain of salt; my commute is only 10k and I live in the PNW where it doesn’t snow or ice that often. My philosophy is that I don’t want the risk of falling, and the loss of speed doesn’t bother me. Studded tires make you strong like bull.
Old 11-14-20, 08:56 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
On in mid December, off in mid March.
Old 11-14-20, 10:42 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I bought my first set of studded snow tires in 2015 after I bought a new commuter. I turned the old bike into my snow and ice bike. I'd put on the studs in late october and take them off in spring.

But it wasn't my only bicycle.

Since converting it to drop bars last year I really missed riding it on dry winter days. Well, I could, but the studded tires make it a drudge to ride on dry pavement.

So this year I did what I should have done years ago when it was my only bike...I bought a second set of wheels. It takes under 10 minutes to swap wheels...a little v-brake brake adjustment is necessary, but the gears work perfectly. Compare that to the 40 minutes it took me to swap just the tires.

I already mounted the studs last October for an early season snow ride. Then when the snow melted, put the summer smoothies back on.

Here's the story:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...wheel-set.html

Old 11-15-20, 09:51 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Frankly I wasn't aware they made studded tires for bikes. When the weather gets that cold I put my bike on the trainer and spin indoors.
Old 11-15-20, 02:11 PM
jmm77

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm in the Hamilton area and you can ride much of the winter without studded tires. Between salted roads and traffic warming up pavement there is often no ice. You have to keep your eyes on the road and have some knowledge of the area you ride and know the weather and temp before leaving home. Early mornings in jan and Feb might be the time to have them.
Old 11-15-20, 02:51 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
When there's precipitation and it's cold enough for it to stick around and be problematic at points on your route?

This is my first year with studded tires, but I've always ridden outside in the winter as road conditions allow. For me, roads could be 95% clear, but that other 5% (low spots with gathered water/ice, shaded areas with run-off and re-freeze, etc) can be really problematic for slick and skinny tires, so I'd usually stick to the trainer after the first significant snowfall of the year. Not so this year, and I'm happy for it. This is a pic from my first ride with the studs last week

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-15-20, 03:01 PM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 143 Posts
>> traffic warming up pavement

Excuse me, what!? That is wishful thinking... of course it occurs in principle but there is no way it makes an appreciable difference outside a full-on traffic jam.. and even then, good luck.
Old 11-15-20, 03:15 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Put mine on over two weeks ago. Winter came early this year.

Likes For Batstar:
Old 11-15-20, 05:30 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I put mine on the commuter once it looks like the snow may stick around.

I must say, they are much faster on clean pavement than I was expecting (marathon winter something or other).
Old 11-15-20, 06:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,918 Posts
if you just run tubeless with excessive sealants added; the embedded wires, captured glass shards, self studded sharp debris is like a free transformation to having studded tires.
Old 11-15-20, 06:14 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Frankly I wasn't aware they made studded tires for bikes. When the weather gets that cold I put my bike on the trainer and spin indoors.
You don't know what you're missing:
https://youtu.be/vMPNdmlKj_Y