Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 105 Rear Hub Axle Bolt Thingy

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-30-20, 10:01 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts

SO I have this Shimano 105 hub and it has a special chrome nut on the freehub side but not on the other. I think it is missing that one and subsequently the axle is too narrow. Where can I get one of those nuts?

Old 11-30-20, 10:49 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
. . . I . . .
well . . .
. . . let's see . . . um . . .
Gee golly gosh . . .

I really don't know . . . i think the first word starts with a "b" . . .

. . . second word, something to do with place where money is exchanged I think.

But don't trust me . . I have an IQ of 145.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 11-30-20, 11:03 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
Which version of 105?
5800? if so you can get a part# from the attached pdf. If not a 5800, you might learn to provide adequate info.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
FH-5800-3719.pdf (270.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-01-20, 07:43 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by mrrabbit
. . . I . . .
well . . .
. . . let's see . . . um . . .
Gee golly gosh . . .

I really don't know . . . i think the first word starts with a "b" . . .

. . . second word, something to do with place where money is exchanged I think.

But don't trust me . . I have an IQ of 145.

=8-|
Seriously? I'm trying to avoid going to the local bike shop, or anywhere in public really, due to the alarming rise of a virus here in Texas whose first letter is C. Seeing as you are from California you should be too. When I was at the bike shop a month ago no one had a mask.

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Which version of 105?
5800? if so you can get a part# from the attached pdf. If not a 5800, you might learn to provide adequate info.
Yes. It is a 5800.

Last edited by Jicafold; 12-01-20 at 09:16 AM.
Likes For Jicafold:
Old 12-01-20, 08:36 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
Some us us here get to go to that avoided bike shop every day for work. I have mixed thoughts about those who are nervous to engage with the world... common sense and simple consideration goes a long way to protect you from spreading your C19 to others.

By avoiding the LBS you also avoid the best first source for these kinds of small bits. Generally axle parts, like a lock nut, are not distributed by most manufactures, certainly not in any real quantity. So those who have learned to keep small bits off of otherwise un working parts (like a lock nut from a bent wheel) become the next best source. Your LBS is that place. Andy
Old 12-01-20, 09:06 AM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
Seriously? I'm trying to avoid going to the local bike shop, or anywhere in public really, due to the alarming rise of a virus here in Texas whose first letter is C. Seeing as you are from California you should be too. When I was there a month ago no one had a mask.
If you are trying to avoid the virus why then were you traveling to California (against CDC and WHO recommendations) where you clam NO ONE was wearing a mask. Based on that false statement, I doubt you really were in California and are just showing your bias (think Californians have the same opinion of Texans). As to the safety of bike stores, the ones I have patronized in LA area in the last 7 months are strictly following local COVID-19 guidelines (masks, social distancing, limited indoor access) and seem safe enough..
Old 12-01-20, 09:10 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Shimano FH-5800 rear hub
Shimano Y31F98050 left hand lock nut unit

looked on ebay for Y31F98050 , found 3, from England $30-35
part is on Amazon $34

Maybe a regular $1 locknut from a bike shop or coop would work ok, that's what I would try.
Old 12-01-20, 09:12 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Some us us here get to go to that avoided bike shop every day for work. I have mixed thoughts about those who are nervous to engage with the world... common sense and simple consideration goes a long way to protect you from spreading your C19 to others.
Well that's just the point. As I have stated, they don't use any common sense at that shop. Therefore I think I am justified to be nervous and not going there. It's the smart move in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence. Just because you work at a bike shop doesn't mean I have to shop at one at this particular point in time.

I was looking for an online resource for this item.
Old 12-01-20, 09:15 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by Eggman84
If you are trying to avoid the virus why then were you traveling to California (against CDC and WHO recommendations) where you clam NO ONE was wearing a mask. Based on that false statement, I doubt you really were in California and are just showing your bias (think Californians have the same opinion of Texans). As to the safety of bike stores, the ones I have patronized in LA area in the last 7 months are strictly following local COVID-19 guidelines (masks, social distancing, limited indoor access) and seem safe enough..

What? I did not say I was travelling to California. Pardon the sentence structure which I have now corrected. I was commenting that Mrrabbit lives there and that is also a state where the virus is spreading rapidly.
Old 12-01-20, 09:20 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by grizzly59
Shimano FH-5800 rear hub
Shimano Y31F98050 left hand lock nut unit

looked on ebay for Y31F98050 , found 3, from England $30-35
part is on Amazon $34

Maybe a regular $1 locknut from a bike shop or coop would work ok, that's what I would try.
Ahhh...Thank you. However a locknut would not work. Putting a simple nut on there would just make it run out of axle space for mounting. That nut is special and provides a surface for the dropout and makes the effective axle length wider. Or I could find a wider axle I suppose.

Last edited by Jicafold; 12-01-20 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-01-20, 09:27 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
You are stuck with a bike shop. If there is one near you they may mail you the part.
Old 12-01-20, 09:33 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Wow, post-Covid-Thanksgiving snarkiness has raised it's head.

OP - here is a link to one for $11 (Don't know what shipping would be.
https://www.bikesomewhere.com/shiman...nit-y31f98050/

Good Luck
Old 12-01-20, 09:36 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by davidad
You are stuck with a bike shop. If there is one near you they may mail you the part.
There is this newfangled thing called the interweb or something like that.
Old 12-01-20, 09:36 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Wow, post-Covid-Thanksgiving snarkiness has raised it's head.

OP - here is a link to one for $11 (Don't know what shipping would be.

Good Luck
Excellent! Just what I was looking for. Thank you so much.
Old 12-01-20, 09:40 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
There is this newfangled thing called the interweb or something like that.
Really! Never heard of it.
Old 12-01-20, 11:34 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Seriously? I'm trying to avoid going to the local bike shop, or anywhere in public really, due to the alarming rise of a virus here in Texas whose first letter is C. Seeing as you are from California you should be too. When I was at the bike shop a month ago no one had a mask.
I'm a volunteer Firefighter/EMT. I've been through my state fire academy and EMT school and have a pile of State and National certifications.

But this is not my occupation, alas I'm a volunteer, I'm a volunteer in a geographic area where all fire and most EMS are unpaid professionals.

Should we, myself and my fellow volunteers turn off our pagers and stay home until the big C is eliminated? You know to prevent the spread of the C?
Old 12-01-20, 11:40 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by Thomas15
I'm a volunteer Firefighter/EMT. I've been through my state fire academy and EMT school and have a pile of State and National certifications.

But this is not my occupation, alas I'm a volunteer, I'm a volunteer in a geographic area where all fire and most EMS are unpaid professionals.

Should we, myself and my fellow volunteers turn off our pagers and stay home until the big C is eliminated? You know to prevent the spread of the C?
If you are a volunteer then you have chosen to accept the risk. I'm sure they told you that in class. I'm not required to go anywhere I don't have to. Besides, that's irrelevant to the question I had asked. Let's stay on topic here shall we?
Old 12-01-20, 11:48 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,254 Times in 724 Posts

Yes. It is a 5800.
Call the bike shop, tell them what you need. You could probably email them an image. They can tell you if they have the part. You can pay for it over the phone or online, and then pick it up outside. I am sure they will make accommodations.

I also wonder where you get your food.
Old 12-01-20, 12:01 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

If you are a volunteer then you have chosen to accept the risk. I'm sure they told you that in class. I'm not required to go anywhere I don't have to. Besides, that's irrelevant to the question I had asked. Let's stay on topic here shall we?

What we were told first and what we are told in every class we take, is that we, the Firefighter or EMS are the most important person at the scene of an incident. Our health and our safety is the #1 top priority. That is what we are told. And that is how we train. That is how we behave. No one has a right to any of the services we provide. Most people don't realize this but the crew that runs headlong into your burning living room with a charged hose to rescue your puppy has it in the back of their mind that there are limits to just how deep they are going in. I say this as an individual that has on numerous occasions gone in quite deep. Risk much to save much, risk little to save little.

You are correct on one thing, you are not required to go anywhere you don't want to go. If you don't want to go to the food store then unless you can get someone to bring the food to you then you go hungry. If you don't want to go to work, then you stay home but I suspect your paycheck would be a tad thin.

This is why you should be happy to pay $25 delivered for a 50c nut to fix your bicycle.

Last edited by Thomas15; 12-01-20 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-01-20, 12:07 PM
Jicafold

What we were told first and what we are told in every class we take, is that we, the Firefighter or EMS are the most important person at the scene of an incident. Our health and our safety is the #1 top priority. That is what we are told. And that is how we train. That is how we behave. No one has a right to any of the services we provide. Most people don't realize this but the crew that runs headlong into your burning living room with a charged hose to rescue your puppy has it in the back of their mind that there are limits to just how deep they are going in. I say this as an individual that has on numerous occasions gone in quite deep.
That's nice. However, completely irrelevant. I'm not sure why you are even bringing that up but it doesn't really matter. As stated....I'm not required to go anywhere I don't have to. Food is essential. I shop for food. This nut for my bike wheel is not essential at this time, but will be eventually. I don't "have" to enter the bike shop. And I work from home... when I'm not reading about the moral and ethical obligations of firefighters.
Old 12-01-20, 12:13 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

That's nice. However, completely irrelevant. I'm not sure why you are even bringing that up but it doesn't really matter. As stated....I'm not required to go anywhere I don't have to. Food is essential. I shop for food. This nut for my bike wheel is not essential at this time, but will be eventually. I don't "have" to enter the bike shop. And I work from home... when I'm not reading about the moral and ethical obligations of firefighters.
But there you are missing a nut and not knowing what to do.
Old 12-01-20, 12:20 PM
Jicafold

? I'm going to buy this one as suggested by Moe Zhoost. That problem has already been solved.

Old 12-01-20, 01:31 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Then the OP has at least one thing in common with Lance Armstrong.
Likes For Koyote: