Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Small update on the new Bicycle Mancave-Garage

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-20, 10:20 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts

Hey guys,
check this place out. It's going to take 3 to 4 months to get this done but It should be great. Lots of new Youtube Content, maybe swap meets, C&V parties and rides will meet here. check out the video.

Thanks

Old 12-07-20, 11:19 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Looks like it’s gonna be great when done. Congrats!
Likes For Rage:
Old 12-08-20, 12:22 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Looks like a nice starter setup!

Old 12-08-20, 12:38 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Wow! I am impressed. If you feel hanging this...

...in your Bicycle Man-Cave Garage, would be acceptable, then I will send this one or an identical one to you. If not, no worries, just trying to say thanks for the inspiration.

My man-cave, complete with dirt and Earth's crust floor...
Old 12-08-20, 07:47 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead

Holy crap, add beer keg and tap and a large screen TV and I would never leave the place! Do you provide tours?
Likes For gthomson:
Old 12-08-20, 08:09 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
My wife never complains about my bicycle collection or my accumulation of tools and parts in the garage, but if she ever does, I'll show her your photo. Wow!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 12-08-20, 08:22 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
It's cool having the fire department right next door.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 12-08-20, 08:33 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
When I look at that photo it reminds me of the phrase "the stuff that dreams are made of". All of my bikes are hanging from the rafters in my garage. It is a pain, but the only way I can really go. What I hate most is the effort to get some of them down and they continue to hang there, lonely and needing attention. I should just break down and sell them but I don't need to explain to this group why I don't.

I love what you've done with the place!!!!!
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 12-08-20, 10:26 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Hey guys,
check this place out. It's going to take 3 to 4 months to get this done but It should be great.
Seriously though, that looks great! Is that one of those places that are kind of a cross between a storage unit and a garage? They are selling those in many places near new developments. They are a great idea if you can afford them.

https://www.adventurestorage.info/mancaves
Old 12-08-20, 12:48 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Seriously though, that looks great! Is that one of those places that are kind of a cross between a storage unit and a garage? They are selling those in many places near new developments. They are a great idea if you can afford them.

Huh, that's pretty cool. I bet that would really take off near where I live where the Porches and Ferraris are everywhere on a nice weekend.
Old 12-08-20, 10:30 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3879 Post(s)
Liked 6,467 Times in 3,199 Posts
"What is it, Sam? It's heavy."

Originally Posted by TugaDude
"The uh ... stuff that dreams are made of."

Old 12-08-20, 11:05 PM
jjhabbs 

Mine will have the same concept however mine will be more showroom style. very done up. etc. I'll still be doing my restorations at home in the original bike cave. Yours looks amazing!
Old 12-08-20, 11:06 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Wow! I am impressed. If you feel hanging this...

...in your Bicycle Man-Cave Garage, would be acceptable, then I will send this one or an identical one to you. If not, no worries, just trying to say thanks for the inspiration.

My man-cave, complete with dirt and Earth's crust floor...
That would look awesome up on the wall with the signs and such!!!

Thanks

JJ
Old 12-08-20, 11:09 PM
jjhabbs 

Check out Home | Iron Gate Motor Condos. Its a rather high end car collector community. Im into cars and bikes. I will surely have an unique unit with a high end vintage bicycle showroom covering 75 percent of the lower level. If you put Irongate into youtube you'll see others that are finished.

Thanks
JJ
Old 12-08-20, 11:12 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by gthomson
Huh, that's pretty cool. I bet that would really take off near where I live where the Porches and Ferraris are everywhere on a nice weekend.
Absolutely. check out this video. A popular youtuber did a video of the place. Shows off a few of the condos. The ones that he shows are the larger units but you'll get the idea.

Old 12-09-20, 07:13 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Very juvenile video IMO
Likes For trailangel:
Old 12-09-20, 12:49 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
The chandelier is a nice touch.
Old 12-09-20, 03:31 PM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts

I own 3 complete bikes and 1 frame and I'm thinking 'I need to declutter' but damn that's a lot of stuff in this picture.
Do you ever ride them or just dust them off?
Old 12-09-20, 04:53 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I kinda hate the term "mancave." It sounds so lame and sad. Bikecave is perhaps a little better, as it at least differentiates itself from some space where dudes just sit around getting drunk and watching sports all day. Not that I'm judging that...

Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Check out Home | Iron Gate Motor Condos. Its a rather high end car collector community. Im into cars and bikes. I will surely have an unique unit with a high end vintage bicycle showroom covering 75 percent of the lower level. If you put Irongate into youtube you'll see others that are finished.
Ok, I'm going to judge this though: it's a bit much. The whole vibe they are trying to portray is really a little disgusting. All these clowns going around, spending money that they don't really have in the hopes of some clicks and some fame, it's just silly. These people need to get out and see the world, and see how ridiculous some of this stuff seems.

And seriously, who wants to be a part of a "motor condo community" that doesn't have a track? If it did, and it was something like those golf communities built around a course, that would be a different story.

Last edited by robertorolfo; 12-09-20 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-09-20, 05:18 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Originally Posted by Schlafen
Do you ever ride them or just dust them off?
Well, I will admit that it is a tall order to ride them all. There are a few that are just too special to ride such as a 1984 Lino Messori that had been exquisitely repainted by Joe Bell, or a 1974 Hetchins Italia that has NEVER been ridden and a 1999 De Bernardi that was recently painted and converted to Campy 11 speed. There are some that are not my size and so are not riders for me and a couple of bikes that I just don't enjoy riding. Oddly, a beautiful 2008 Colnago Master X-light falls into this latter category. It is a stunning sub-19 pound (zero carbon fiber) full Campy, Ti Brooks, 11 speed beauty, but I just don't like the ride. Go figure! Others I have ridden the crap out of like a 2001 Pegoretti (my double century bike) which has well over 25,000 miles on it. I don't do doubles anymore that it stays mostly parked these days. Every one of the finished bikes in the shop is ready to ride though. They will all get ridden to some degree eventually.
Old 12-09-20, 05:47 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo

Ok, I'm going to judge this though: it's a bit much. The hole vibe they are trying to portray is really a little disgusting. All these clowns going around, spending money that they don't really have in the hopes of some clicks and some fame, it's just silly. These people need to get out and see the world, and see how ridiculous some of this stuff seems.

And seriously, who wants to be a part of a "motor condo community" that doesn't have a track? If it did, and it was something like those golf communities built around a course, that would be a different story.
I think having motor condos like this us a great idea. Some people have the same N1 "problem" as bike guys like us do, only it gets a little tougher to find space to store them. You can't hang an old Corvette from a hook in your garage. I've been to Irongate where John will create his mancave. It's not much different than a car show held every month at the local hamburger joint. Difference being they're usually nicer cars, and more of them. I'll bet that during their monthly open house, there will be a huge interest in John's bikes. A nice change from so many nice cars to look at.
Old 12-09-20, 05:59 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 1,406 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
I don't know about you guys, but I kinda hat the term "mancave." It sounds so lame and sad. Bikecave is perhaps a little better, as it at least differentiates itself from some space where dudes just sit around getting drunk and watching sports all day. Not that I'm judging that...

Ok, I'm going to judge this though: it's a bit much. The hole vibe they are trying to portray is really a little disgusting. All these clowns going around, spending money that they don't really have in the hopes of some clicks and some fame, it's just silly. These people need to get out and see the world, and see how ridiculous some of this stuff seems.

While I agree to some extent, a lot of Ferrari owners I know are entirely gold chain, it will depend on the owner. John is a good guy and really just likes sharing what he has. I know another guy who has his collection squirreled away, but wants to show it to everyone and a space like this could work. Think Bisbee Bicycle Brothel. Ken has the coolest display of stuff and going to the shop to see it is just fun. I think John will do the same. You really can't be a ******e Countach owner with bikes. Just doesn't work.
Likes For iab:
Old 12-09-20, 06:04 PM
iab

Now "cave" is another thing. Why cave? Why is a dark wet place that is 50F a good thing? I know I don't want to spend time in a cave. Bad marketing.
Old 12-09-20, 06:09 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Now "cave" is another thing. Why cave? Why is a dark wet place that is 50F a good thing? I know I don't want to spend time in a cave. Bad marketing.
I think the cave thing comes from the french tradition of storing fine wines and cheeses in them.
Old 12-09-20, 06:37 PM
iab

Originally Posted by mercator
I think the cave thing comes from the french tradition of storing fine wines and cheeses in them.
I thought the term was wine cellar. No?

But again, a cave may be a fine place to store the wine, but again, I don't want to drink it there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.