Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Rene Herse Extralights supposed to have sidewall pinholes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-21, 03:16 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3138 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 1,031 Posts

I just went to mount a brand new pair of Bon Jon Extralights, with black sidewall, and both tires have pinholes at several points on the sidewalls, at mold release ridges.

Is this typical?

I’ve heard of Extralights having leaky sidewalls, and I
know Herse say the Extralights need sealant to be air tight, but are these pinholes what they mean? I guess I assumed the thin sidewalls didn’t have enough rubber thickness to prevent leakage, but that there are actually holes is quite a surprise...if
indeed that’s normal and not
defects.

I found no phone number at RH to call with the question, and only a warranty request form; it kind of sucks one can’t talk to someone live, but I did submit the form explaining the
situation.

I’m kind of loathe to add sealant if I’m just going to have to pull these off immediately for warranty replacement, but since the site says to 7 to 14 days for a reply, I guess I may as well add it and let it seal the holes.

Thinking about it more now, I guess there is no problem in letting the sealant do its thing; I was caught off guard by the holes, and immediately assumed it was a flaw, but maybe regardless of whether it is or not, it doesn’t matter if it seals up.

Anyone have any experience with this, or thoughts on whether it’s a problematic
situation?

Old 01-18-21, 03:23 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I’ve heard of Extralights having leaky sidewalls, and I
know Herse say the Extralights need sealant to be air tight, but are these pinholes what they mean? I guess I assumed the thin sidewalls didn’t have enough rubber thickness to prevent leakage, but that there are actually holes is quite a surprise...if
indeed that’s normal and not
defects.
Generally they're referring to the porousity of the thin sidewalls.

Those are actually holes, not just round spots in the ridge?
Old 01-18-21, 03:32 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Do they hold air? I don't ride tubeless tires that won't hold air without sealant.

Why are all those threads showing on your spokes?

Phone: (206) 789-0424
Old 01-18-21, 03:32 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I checked the Rene Herse website to verify my question: are these tubeless clinchers? No they are not.

So I am wondering if you are taking about adding sealant to the inner tube? Are you running a butyl or latex inner tube? The pinholes you are seeing might just be the “extralight” sidewall and not a manufacturing defect. Seeing those exposed plies reminds me of some older Continental Grand Prix tires I used to run. I would think you just run them with whatever tube you choose, with no sealant and then report back on their relative air retention.
Old 01-18-21, 03:37 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I checked the Rene Herse website to verify my question: are these tubeless clinchers? No they are not.

So I am wondering if you are taking about adding sealant to the inner tube? Are you running a butyl or latex inner tube? The pinholes you are seeing might just be the “extralight” sidewall and not a manufacturing defect. Seeing those exposed plies reminds me of some older Continental Grand Prix tires I used to run. I would think you just run them with whatever tube you choose, with no sealant and then report back on their relative air retention.
  • Clincher, folding bead
  • Tubeless-compatible
  • Maximum pressure with tubes: 90 psi (6.2 bar)
  • Maximum recommended pressure – tubeless: 60 psi (4 bar)
Likes For trailangel:
Old 01-18-21, 03:43 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
All Bon Jon Pass variants are advertised as tubeless-compatible.
Old 01-18-21, 03:51 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,594 Times in 3,781 Posts
Drillium tires...

Old 01-18-21, 04:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
A true commitment to reduced weight.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-18-21, 04:10 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
From the look of those exposed spoke threads, leaky sidewalls will be the least of your troubles.

Last edited by Koyote; 01-18-21 at 04:14 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Generally they're referring to the porousity of the thin sidewalls.

Those are actually holes, not just round spots in the ridge?
That’s what I assumed, too, but yeah, they’re holes, not just round spots.
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
  • Clincher, folding bead
  • Tubeless-compatible
  • Maximum pressure with tubes: 90 psi (6.2 bar)
  • Maximum recommended pressure – tubeless: 60 psi (4 bar)
Originally Posted by HTupolev
All Bon Jon Pass variants are advertised as tubeless-compatible.
oh! I missed the “bon Jon” part. I looked up the Chinook Pass model.

So running these Bon Jon tires tubeless does sound like it could be dicey.
Old 01-18-21, 04:14 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by trailangel
Do they hold air? I don't ride tubeless tires that won't hold air without sealant.

Why are all those threads showing on your spokes?

Phone: (206) 789-0424
Of course they don’t hold air, as I said, there are holes!

I don’t have a problem with needing sealant, I just wonder if the holes are defects or typical of the construction.

The spokes are fiber; Spinergy wheels.

Thanks for the phone #! I’ll give ‘em a call now!

EDIT: number does not work at all.
Old 01-18-21, 04:20 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
A true commitment to reduced weight.
Well, my other recent acquisitions from Herse, also tubeless, were a royal PITA to install and leak down like freaks, so my commitment is definitely shaken! These mounted up easily, at least.
Old 01-18-21, 04:21 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Koyote
From the look of those exposed spoke threads, leaky sidewalls will be the least of your troubles.
Of the many things you are unaware of, add Spinergy to your list.
Old 01-18-21, 04:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 4,189 Posts
Pretty sure I read over the summer a blog post by Jan where he rambled on in defense of his company not having an easy way to call them. It cited covid, working from home, not able to forward calls, yada yada. Basically, accept the poor customer service for a premium product even if competitors have figured out better working options.

Having read countless forum posts(here and elsewhere) as well as actual tire reviews by websites that all complain about RH tires not sealing and having to send em back for warranty, I am convinced that 30% of the reason why RH tires are so expensive is due to warranty processing costs(shipping, inventory loss, etc).
They look cool though.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-18-21, 04:28 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

So I added sealant, 40ml to start, and besides light leaking through the holes, the sealant seemed to get sucked up by the tire: after a second, I couldn’t hear it sloshing in there, and not all the holes sealed, so I added another 30ml and they seem to have sealed fine.

I gotta get to the studio now, so I’ll check on them later this evening and see what’s happening.
Old 01-18-21, 04:29 PM
Koyote

Of the many things you are unaware of, add Spinergy to your list.
Well, at least I know how to mount BJP tires. 😀
Old 01-18-21, 04:40 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
No advice but here's my thought.

About a month ago, I started the long slow process of putting a new bike together while parts arrived in the mail, and I only have limited free time.

The first task was mounting my tires. I used Maxxis Ramblers and Stan's Crest ZTR rims. I sealed the rim and mounted with soap and water, and left them. Figuring I'd only want sealant once I was actually ready to ride the bike.

It's been awhile, a month or so, they are still aired up and only a few PSI less than they started. Without a drop of sealant yet.

These tires are also as light as anything RH sells in that size.

I have never ridden RH. That ride better be better than God's chariot to justify leaky new tires.
Old 01-18-21, 05:06 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Pretty sure I read over the summer a blog post by Jan where he rambled on in defense of his company not having an easy way to call them. It cited covid, working from home, not able to forward calls, yada yada. Basically, accept the poor customer service for a premium product even if competitors have figured out better working options.

Having read countless forum posts(here and elsewhere) as well as actual tire reviews by websites that all complain about RH tires not sealing and having to send em back for warranty, I am convinced that 30% of the reason why RH tires are so expensive is due to warranty processing costs(shipping, inventory loss, etc).
They look cool though.
The standard casings don't have any sealing issues, in my experience, and they ride beautifully and are surprisingly durable.

The extralight casings do require a bit of extra time, knowledge, and sealant, and generally don't last as long, but the ride quality is even better. It seems the OP simply hasn't done the homework which is necessary to understand and properly seal up these tires...If he had, he wouldn't have these questions.
Old 01-18-21, 05:16 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Have a read about a very similar problem here. Extra light RH tires and sealant, even has photos!

RH makes it impossible to contact them by phone as mentioned above. While on Paceline have a look at the thread that mstateglfr mentioned because it is an eye opener.

You will need to go through the website to send off a message.
Old 01-18-21, 06:27 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by rosefarts
No advice but here's my thought.

About a month ago, I started the long slow process of putting a new bike together while parts arrived in the mail, and I only have limited free time.

The first task was mounting my tires. I used Maxxis Ramblers and Stan's Crest ZTR rims. I sealed the rim and mounted with soap and water, and left them. Figuring I'd only want sealant once I was actually ready to ride the bike.

It's been awhile, a month or so, they are still aired up and only a few PSI less than they started. Without a drop of sealant yet.

These tires are also as light as anything RH sells in that size.

I have never ridden RH. That ride better be better than God's chariot to justify leaky new tires.
I haven’t looked at Maxxis’ road offerings in a long, long while...not since a pair of Detonators which were the worst riding tires I’ve ever had. I know they’ve upped their game since those days, and do a lot of race sponsorship, so I’ll check them out.

Those Herse Switchback Hills I have in 650x47 with the standard casing do ride sweetly, so I thought I’d give the brand another go with these, assuming the EL casing was quite light for the 35c size at 303gm or something, but I didn’t comparison shop. If I bomb out on these, at least it won’t be the worst $200 I’ve ever spent!
Old 01-18-21, 06:40 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by blakcloud
Have a read about a very similar problem here. Extra light RH tires and sealant, even has photos!

RH makes it impossible to contact them by phone as mentioned above. While on Paceline have a look at the thread that mstateglfr mentioned because it is an eye opener.

You will need to go through the website to send off a message.
Oh, I’m familiar with Heine, having been in some testy discussions with him years ago on some forum or other. I know he’s an opinionated dude, but, he and Bicycle Quarterly were right about the tire thing, and way ahead of the mainstream with it, so I give credit where credit is due. I mean, I think it took wide rims for what he asserted to make sense for me; I tried narrow rims with wide, low-pressure tires and didn’t like the handling impacts.

While, as I mentioned in the OP, I was aware of the sealing issues with the EL, I still haven’t seen any particular discussion about how the sidewalls were leaking. IIRC, one of the zines even used the term “weep,” so I thought it was a permeable sidewall issue, not one of actual holes. Did I miss photos of the issue in the thread you linked? I saw the sidewall cut photo...

As I said earlier, I did submit a query on the RH site, and if I receive a reply, I’ll post back here the official company account of my sidewall holes, and hopefully they’ll answer the question whether they’re to be expected or if they’re production flaws.
Old 01-18-21, 08:18 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Oh, I’m familiar with Heine, having been in some testy discussions with him years ago on some forum or other. I know he’s an opinionated dude, but, he and Bicycle Quarterly were right about the tire thing, and way ahead of the mainstream with it, so I give credit where credit is due. I mean, I think it took wide rims for what he asserted to make sense for me; I tried narrow rims with wide, low-pressure tires and didn’t like the handling impacts.

While, as I mentioned in the OP, I was aware of the sealing issues with the EL, I still haven’t seen any particular discussion about how the sidewalls were leaking. IIRC, one of the zines even used the term “weep,” so I thought it was a permeable sidewall issue, not one of actual holes. Did I miss photos of the issue in the thread you linked? I saw the sidewall cut photo...

As I said earlier, I did submit a query on the RH site, and if I receive a reply, I’ll post back here the official company account of my sidewall holes, and hopefully they’ll answer the question whether they’re to be expected or if they’re production flaws.
The first photo in that thread shows the exact problem you are having. It leaks at the seam on a brand new tire. Can't see if it is the whole seam or holes like yours. I just thought what a coincidence that on the same day two people post on two different forums about the same issue on extra lights. The other photo of the sliced tire also happened to me after about 20 km on a new tire. Sucks but that is the price you pay for supple tires. And please don't get me wrong, I love Rene Herse/Grand Bois/Compass tires as I have them on my three bikes and my wife's Rivendell. I am not a fan of how JH runs RH. Other small companies like White Industries or Paul Components have much better customer service than Rene Herse. For this reason I buy most of my tires at I's Cycle (Grand Bois) when I go to Kyoto. I have no doubt Jan will take care of you, it will just take longer than it really has to.
Old 01-18-21, 08:29 PM
jay1680

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Several months ago I posted in this forum a complaint about Rene Herse customer service. At the time I purchased a set of Snoqualmie Pass standard tires (not the extralights). After 4000 km with this tire I am really impressed. I have taken these tires over really rocky gravel road descents. Despite having no tread the tires work fine on all the gravel surfaces I have encountered here in rural Mexico. I just built up a second bike with 43 mm Gravel King SS tires. They seem to be as fast as the RH tires on pavement but are much less supple than the RH tires. I really like riding the RH tires on pavement and gravel. So in spite of their poor customer service ( actually non- existent) I will keep buying their tires. All tires set up tubeless.
Likes For jay1680:
Old 01-18-21, 08:52 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I like their tires and I have a serious phone phobia, so I guess their customer service model (email) suits me fine.

I've only set up one set of tires tubeless. They are the new 55mm treaded 700C tires (Fleecer Ridge Endurance Plus), and I used their recommended sealant, produced by Panaracer. The tires were a bit of a PITA to mount, but once they did, they have been fine.

I was put off trying any of their other older tires tubeless because the idea of sealant weeping through the sidewalls and coming off rims makes it sound like they weren't originally designed to be tubeless, and they have been labeled tubeless-compatible. Maybe I am being paranoid, but I would rather just stick tubes in them and not deal with the hassle (and set up with tubes, they have been great). I had one tire that developed a split in the sidewall, and they sent me a new tire and asked for the wounded one to examine. It may well have been my fault, but their customer service has been more than I could ask for (and I didn't have to listen to highly-compressed Muzak while I am put on phone hold).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.