Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

quick link for sedisport chains?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-21, 07:45 PM
sacr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

The sedisport chain I have is supposedly known as what is a 6-8 speed chain. Rather than breaking the chain Id like to be able to use a quicklink(makes cleaning and rear wheel removal much easier). Ive tried the sram quicklink for the sram chain (6-8speed) that I use on the same bike and it is not wide enough. I purchased a kmc one which was rated at 7.3 mm across, where the sram one I had measured 7.1 mm, it actually fits on to the sedis chain, but is too tight for the links to pivot.

Does anyone know of quicklinks that are slighter wider, Ive looked at most of the products and they rarely give a width, just say they are for 6-8, 9, 10 ,11 speed chains
Old 02-01-21, 08:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
So Sedis was purchased by Sachs who then later got purchased by SRAM. I know when Sachs bought them out they had quicklinks but I don't know of any specific modern quick links that would work. You could try Connex/Wipperman since you have yet to try that one but you might just need to use a pin as finding NOS would be tough. I don't mind breaking a chain, it doesn't take a long time and isn't that hard and if you are good you don't have to push out the old pin entirely and can push it back pretty easily.
Old 02-01-21, 09:31 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I have many SedisSport chains in use here. I've never found it necessary to use a quicklink. Just use your chain tool to push the pin back in when you re-connected the chain.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-01-21, 09:48 PM
sacr

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I have many SedisSport chains in use here. I've never found it necessary to use a quicklink. Just use your chain tool to push the pin back in when you re-connected the chain.
Im not fussed with the extra effort of using the chain removal tool, just thought current thinking was that pushing the pins out and rejoinig was frowned upon as weakening the chain etc?
Are the "new rules" just for newer chains?

Is it best to pick a different pin each time or undo the same one

Thanks.
Old 02-01-21, 09:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by sacr
Im not fussed with the extra effort of using the chain removal tool, just thought current thinking was that pushing the pins out and rejoinig was frowned upon as weakening the chain etc?
Are the "new rules" just for newer chains?

Thanks.
That is typically for newer/higher speed chains. I don't use quick links that often and have no issues with chains pushing pins in and out. I typically will do a different one each time but mainly because I forget to find the old one or just don't care enough though it might not be a terrible idea.
Old 02-02-21, 07:31 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Im not fussed with the extra effort of using the chain removal tool, just thought current thinking was that pushing the pins out and rejoinig was frowned upon as weakening the chain etc? Are the "new rules" just for newer chains?
Yes. In order to accommodate an increasing number of sprockets on the rear cluster, the outside width of chains has become narrower such that the pins holding the links together are now rivets with peened ends to hold them in place. Pushing the pin out of such a chain breaks off the peened flange that holds the pin secure. Re-using that pin means the chain is no longer securely linked at that point.

Wider chains for 8 sprockets or fewer on the rear cluster have longer pins that don't need to be riveted in place. Pins on those chains can be safely re-used.

I've never found that it matters. Unless you have some way of permanently marking the pin you last used, you'd be hard-pressed to find it again the next time you need to open the chain.
Old 02-02-21, 11:54 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
My experience has been that Shimano HG chains, starting with 7 speed I think, required a new pin for each reassembly. Perhaps they aren't quite as fussy as 9 speed+ chains but it still makes a big difference.

I also found that Sram quick links worked perfectly on my 7-8 speed chains from Shimano, Sram, and KMC. Perhaps OP has an older 6 speed chain, which would definitely have the older reusable pin construction.
Old 02-02-21, 01:49 PM
sacr

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
. Perhaps OP has an older 6 speed chain, which would definitely have the older reusable pin construction.
Perhaps you are right, the sedisport chain I have perhaps is strictly a 6 speed and is slightly bigger/different than what is marketed today as being 6-8 speed(the shimano chain the bikeshop sold me as an "identical" sized replacement requires new pins each time), and hence why the 6-8 speed quicklinks ive tried so far wont fit.

I understand from the comments above that there is no real problem with pushing out the pins on the sedisport chain, but for the convenience of a road side puncture, getting the chain off quickly speeds up the repair. There is only one orientation that my wheel will get past the chain, bottom bracket dyno and mudguards, and its really difficult to find it/replicate even when having the luxurty of the bike on a proper work stand, never mind roadside laying on its side in the dark and the rain

Last edited by sacr; 02-02-21 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-02-21, 02:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Perhaps you are right, the sedisport chain I have perhaps is strictly a 6 speed and is slightly bigger/different than what is marketed today as being 6-8 speed(the shimano chain the bikeshop sold me as an "identical" sized replacement requires new pins each time), and hence why the 6-8 speed quicklinks ive tried so far wont fit.

I understand from the comments above that there is no real problem with pushing out the pins on the sedisport chain, but for the convenience of a road side puncture, getting the chain off quickly speeds up the repair. There is only one orientation that my wheel will get past the chain, bottom bracket dyno and mudguards, and its really difficult to find it/replicate even when having the luxurty of the bike on a proper work stand, never mind roadside laying on its side in the dark and the rain
Wait you are unpinning your chain and removing for a puncture? Jeez that sounds crazy. All you need to do is shift down into your smallest cog at the back give the derailleur a little slack and then take the wheel out. No need to fully remove the chain unless you have some really funky bike but I have yet to see a system where a chain needs disassembly to fix a flat.
Old 02-02-21, 03:06 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
veganbikes In my experience removing the wheel from a single speed or coaster brake bike or bike with some sort of chain case can be a bit of a hassle (poster says he has a dynamo too), and there is no 'smallest cog' in which to shift. But I agree that removing the chain doesn't seem like it would be the simplest way - the last time I had to fix a flat on such a bike I just pulled tube out of the tire and patched it instead of trying to get the wheel off.
Old 02-02-21, 03:12 PM
sacr

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Jeez that sounds crazy. All you need to do is shift down into your smallest cog at the back give the derailleur a little slack and then take the wheel out. No need to fully remove the chain unless you have some really funky bike but I have yet to see a system where a chain needs disassembly to fix a flat.
thanks......but I think I described my setup adequately to describe why removing the chain is quicker and gets less grease on hands overall.
Old 02-02-21, 06:31 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
Wear gloves & leave the chain alone.
Old 02-02-21, 08:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

thanks......but I think I described my setup adequately to describe why removing the chain is quicker and gets less grease on hands overall.
Ok, fair dinkum