Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Miyata Triplecross Porteur / VO build.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-03-21, 11:05 AM
loudbay

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts

This bike is my stable's #1 in the smiles per mile category. Complete drivetrain is from a donor Miyata 914. VO porteur bars, VO stainless steel fenders, VO porteur rack, Persons 77 seat, parts bin Nitto stem, Rivendell bar end mounts, forgot brand (ebay) brake levers, Tektro CR720 brakes, Hutchinson Overide 38mm tires. My first real, 'niche' build, but it rides so amazing and ready for Colorado spring time!

Old 02-03-21, 11:15 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 512 Posts
Fantastic. What size wheels did those come with? 700c?
Old 02-03-21, 11:15 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
That's a beautiful bike. How do you like the Persons saddle? I've never heard of them, but it looks pretty nice.
Old 02-03-21, 11:17 AM
loudbay

Originally Posted by polymorphself
Fantastic. What size wheels did those come with? 700c?
These are the stock triplecross 700 wheels.
Old 02-03-21, 11:18 AM
loudbay

Originally Posted by noobinsf
That's a beautiful bike. How do you like the Persons saddle? I've never heard of them, but it looks pretty nice.
It's very good. I feel like a bit more compliant than a new Brooks. The website and phone number is basically down, so I fear they may be out of business. Shame, as they've been making saddles for a long long time.
Old 02-03-21, 11:25 AM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by loudbay
These are the stock triplecross 700 wheels.
Nice clearance!
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 02-03-21, 11:27 AM
polymorphself 

Wonder if one of these would fit well in that rack: https://builtbyswift.com/shop/sugarl...sket-bag-2021/
Old 02-03-21, 11:47 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
Super Nice.......I am miyata fan......now all the triple crosses I have been seeing will disappear

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-03-21, 12:06 PM
loudbay

Nice clearance!
That's the best part! I am/was a car guy so I spent some extra time with the fender fitting.
Old 02-03-21, 12:09 PM
loudbay

Originally Posted by squirtdad
Super Nice.......I am miyata fan......now all the triple crosses I have been seeing will disappear
I'm a big Miyata fan too, but I almost NEVER see triple crosses in my market. This one was BEAT and $50. I felt kind of bad stripping the 914 for it, but the 914 was pretty small. I tried to offer it to all my lady friends after I saw how nice it was. Ironically enough, one of these gals came to say hi yesterday and asked about the Miyata frame... we're hunting for parts bike for it now. I'm glad it's not just hanging though, it may be one of the nicest frames under my roof. One step forward, two steps back.
Old 02-03-21, 12:14 PM
loudbay

Wonder if one of these would fit well in that rack: https://builtbyswift.com/shop/sugarl...sket-bag-2021/
That bag is NICE, but I'm going to refrain from that sort of investment in bags for this one. This is going to be a scoot to the liquor store or bring home leftovers rack I feel like. The seating position is uber comfy but not a real touring build. I just found a Raleigh Alyeska that is going to get racks and I'm going to hunt for panniers for that. Any insight on something other than Soma that has the vintage Blackburn vibe? I want silver, and I'd LOVE to get out for $100 front and rear. The Soma 'mini' front is just $40 shipped, but I'm afraid that when it gets here, their 'silver' will be only matched by their own rear racks.
Old 02-03-21, 12:45 PM
polymorphself 

That bag is NICE, but I'm going to refrain from that sort of investment in bags for this one. This is going to be a scoot to the liquor store or bring home leftovers rack I feel like. The seating position is uber comfy but not a real touring build. I just found a Raleigh Alyeska that is going to get racks and I'm going to hunt for panniers for that. Any insight on something other than Soma that has the vintage Blackburn vibe? I want silver, and I'd LOVE to get out for $100 front and rear. The Soma 'mini' front is just $40 shipped, but I'm afraid that when it gets here, their 'silver' will be only matched by their own rear racks.
Unfortunately I've been looking for similar. Front low rider panniers that look something like the what are on the VO Campeur Front Rack but without the top rack part, just the pannier racks (that screw into low rider mounts). For panniers I'll be picking up this set https://builtbyswift.com/shop/jr-ran...nier-set-2021/
Old 02-03-21, 01:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Really neat conversion. Nice work.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-03-21, 01:17 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
That looks great. Those Porter bars are very nice, especially wrapped as you have done. It gives some additional hand positions, a la moustache bars.
Old 02-03-21, 01:18 PM
IsleRide

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
Nice job. The cockpit is killer! Porteur, Guidonnet, leather and bar ends.
Old 02-03-21, 01:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
For panniers I'll be picking up this set https://builtbyswift.com/shop/jr-ran...nier-set-2021/
$320 for a set of small paniers that are for 'adventure/off road riding', but dont have a locking mechanism and arent waterproof?
They do look cool though.
Old 02-03-21, 01:31 PM
loudbay

Originally Posted by due ruote
That looks great. Those Porter bars are very nice, especially wrapped as you have done. It gives some additional hand positions, a la moustache bars.
These bars are wonderful! The forward position on them is everything and I would never wrap them another way after trying this.
Old 02-03-21, 01:33 PM
loudbay

Originally Posted by IsleRide
Nice job. The cockpit is killer! Porteur, Guidonnet, leather and bar ends.
Leatherette... but I wasn't sure how they would match the Persons, so I went cheap and will redo if it ever bugs me. Seems silly to skimp on the tape after this build nickel and dimed me like it did, but I haven't 'complained' about it yet.
Old 02-03-21, 01:39 PM
IsleRide

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
Leatherette... but I wasn't sure how they would match the Persons, so I went cheap and will redo if it ever bugs me. Seems silly to skimp on the tape after this build nickel and dimed me like it did, but I haven't 'complained' about it yet.
Looks convincing in the photos. I happen to really like leatherette when used in cars. The best stuff looks like leather. (but wears like iron)
Old 02-03-21, 02:04 PM
guy1138

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 51 Posts
These are really awesome bikes, originally marketed as a flat-bar cyclocross bike. They're perfect as modern gravel bikes!

Here's one I found and refreshed this past summer. There were dead bugs and cocoons *IN* the shifters.

Before

After

Likes For guy1138:
Old 02-03-21, 02:08 PM
loudbay

Originally Posted by guy1138
These are really awesome bikes, originally marketed as a flat-bar cyclocross bike. They're perfect as modern gravel bikes!

Here's one I found and refreshed this past summer. There were dead bugs and cocoons *IN* the shifters.

Before

After

That gray / off white is awesome! I wasn't thrilled with my blue color until it started to come together. I would have worked faster with your color.
Old 02-03-21, 02:16 PM
guy1138

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 51 Posts
That gray / off white is awesome! I wasn't thrilled with my blue color until it started to come together. I would have worked faster with your color.
Thanks! This was the bike that finally forced me to buy a buffer. I am really impressed with the Miyata paint from the time period. So much soot and oxidation; but with a light cutting polish, then a wax, it was nearly good as new.

Yours turned out amazing! I am lucky that mine didn't fit, or I probably would have kept it and dome something like you did.
Old 02-03-21, 03:19 PM
loudbay

Originally Posted by guy1138
Thanks! This was the bike that finally forced me to buy a buffer. I am really impressed with the Miyata paint from the time period. So much soot and oxidation; but with a light cutting polish, then a wax, it was nearly good as new.

Yours turned out amazing! I am lucky that mine didn't fit, or I probably would have kept it and dome something like you did.

My paint is quite dull in places... I guess I'm off to Autozone. Any affordable recomendations? To be honest, I was going to call it a 'patina' until you mentioning how well it cleaned up.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-21, 04:04 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
This bike is my stable's #1 in the smiles per mile category. Complete drivetrain is from a donor Miyata 914. VO porteur bars, VO stainless steel fenders, VO porteur rack, Persons 77 seat, parts bin Nitto stem, Rivendell bar end mounts, forgot brand (ebay) brake levers, Tektro CR720 brakes, Hutchinson Overide 38mm tires. My first real, 'niche' build, but it rides so amazing and ready for Colorado spring time!

It looks excellent, and I love how the angle/shape of the brake levers mirror the VO handlebars. Very swish.
Old 02-03-21, 04:07 PM
loudbay

Originally Posted by bOsscO
It looks excellent, and I love how the angle/shape of the brake levers mirror the VO handlebars. Very swish.
Thanks! This was my first non-traditional build and it all came together almost better than I could have hoped for! The parts coming in while the frame just sat on the porch was a finger's crossed moment for sure. Especially the fenders with a 'maximum' width of 37mm. Me: orders 38mm tires. I also really like how the Nitto stem looks with these bars. A serendipitous build for sure!

Last edited by loudbay; 02-03-21 at 04:20 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.