Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tell me what you think: riding comfortably and safely beyond 50

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tell me what you think: riding comfortably and safely beyond 50

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-21, 11:09 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
For the average person, not necessarily an avid cyclist, everything you are looking for is already gaining popularity. It is an ebike; especially fat tire. There are even small wheeled fat tire ebikes.

I don’t have one, but for comfort and safety, it is difficult to imagine a bike that offers as much versatility and speed in any riding position.

For commuters, it would seem to be the best option, for those days when a little extra oomf would be desirable.

When ebike weights get down to the low/mid 20’s, it will be difficult not to appeal to most cyclists.

John
Old 02-09-21, 06:39 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
For the average person, not necessarily an avid cyclist, everything you are looking for is already gaining popularity. It is an ebike; especially fat tire. There are even small wheeled fat tire ebikes.

I don’t have one, but for comfort and safety, it is difficult to imagine a bike that offers as much versatility and speed in any riding position.

For commuters, it would seem to be the best option, for those days when a little extra oomf would be desirable.

When ebike weights get down to the low/mid 20’s, it will be difficult not to appeal to most cyclists.

John
I have to say that is a good point. I don't ride an electric assist bike but my wife does. If it were not for the assist I am afraid she would not be able to join me in my rides. I bought her first one which was a hub drive model and she loved it and it still works very well. I took her over to Trek Bikes here in Ventura just before Christmas and I was amazed at how many ebikes they had to choose from. With my wife's physical limitations , she needed more of an upright position for riding comfortably. She chose the Electra Townie and I doubt I could get her to ride her other one at this point. The Electra has the mid drive Bosch system and is lighter than the old one. It also has the internal Shimano 5 speed hub that can be down shifted without spinning the cranks(moving) so when she comes to an abrupt stop , she can select the low gear to get going again. They have come a long way and lighter versions are out there already . I don't think ebikes are going anywhere and with these newer varieties , you have to pedal so it is truly an assist , not a powered bicycle. Her old one has a throttle and will go without pedaling.
Old 02-09-21, 09:01 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I’m 63 and my main ride is an ‘88 Cannondale Criterium Series. This bike has the reputation of being a bone-jarring, teeth rattling, butt aching, hand buzzing ride. To me, it’s just right. Just choosing a proper saddle, good fitment of stem rise and lots of miles will calm the comfort issue.

As the vintage pro used to say, “the more you ride, the less your butt hurts” is a valid point. If you only ride casual short trips around town then by all means ride a comfort bike.
Old 02-09-21, 10:37 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
OP, what academic department are you in? Have you done enough research about the history of bicycle development to realize that everything you will invent has previously been invented?
Dont be too sure about that.

I remember some history of the patent Dept. Some guy there thot they should cut back on staff because everything that could be invented already had been. That was around 1900!!!