Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Installing a spoke question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-21, 05:50 PM
Solo_rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi.

Never done this before but I need to replace a broken spoke on the rear wheel (with disc brakes) and I'm wondering if I have to remove both the cassette and the disc rotor. I got the cassette off already.

Another question if someone wants to answer, is a spoke tension gauge something necessary (not for this job but I mean in general) ?

Thanks.
Old 02-10-21, 06:14 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Solo_rider
Never done this before but I need to replace a broken spoke on the rear wheel (with disc brakes) and I'm wondering if I have to remove both the cassette and the disc rotor. I got the cassette off already.

Another question if someone wants to answer, is a spoke tension gauge something necessary (not for this job but I mean in general) ?
It depends on where the broken spoke is. With some spokes on some wheels, you should be able to go through a gap in the disc rotor. You should be able to see for yourself.

If you are only replacing one spoke, I would not be concerned about a spoke tension gauge. You can gently squeeze the spokes together to get a rough idea of the tension.
Old 02-10-21, 06:34 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Some hubs and/or spoke lacings you might be able to get the spoke in the hole in the hub, others you'll have to take stuff off. When you start taking stuff off, think to yourself if you know how to adjust it when you put it back together.

One spoke itself isn't usually and issue to tension somewhat adequately as someone else previously answered. However if your wheel is out of true by any amount, then take it to a wheel builder and get it all trued up. It's usually not much cost in my area. And wheels that aren't true usually have more problems than just one spoke.
Old 02-10-21, 06:36 PM
Solo_rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the reply, alo. I appreciate it. I'm just having a hard time getting the spoke more than a couple of inches through its whole (in the rim) without bending it. From watching a couple videos it seems like I have to bend the spoke a little to get it in place but I just don't see it in my case -looks like it will take more than just a little bending. It looks like the disc rotor needs a star head screw driver which I don't think I have.

My question about the spoke tension tool wasn't about this job but like I said as a tool to have to check the tension in the spokes once in a while. It's easy to tell if a spoke is loose but it's kind of hard to tell if it's the right tension once it's tightened up.
Old 02-10-21, 06:42 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Sometimes you do and sometimes you get lucky and the spoke slides by everything. My luck is usually that I have to pull off the disk or the cassette, usually not both for one spoke. And if you're serious about truing up wheels, the spoke tensioner tool is a nicety, but not a necessity. A truing stand, home-built like mine or store bought is much more necessary, but even that can be worked around by flipping the bike upside down and using wire or zip ties off the frame components for gauges. Lots of ways to skin this cat if you don't want to go to the LBS. But at least if you do decide to take it to the shop, it should be right the first time, if you get my meaning...
Old 02-10-21, 07:23 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Thanks for the reply, alo. I appreciate it. I'm just having a hard time getting the spoke more than a couple of inches through its whole (in the rim) without bending it. From watching a couple videos it seems like I have to bend the spoke a little to get it in place but I just don't see it in my case -looks like it will take more than just a little bending. It looks like the disc rotor needs a star head screw driver which I don't think I have.

My question about the spoke tension tool wasn't about this job but like I said as a tool to have to check the tension in the spokes once in a while. It's easy to tell if a spoke is loose but it's kind of hard to tell if it's the right tension once it's tightened up.
Are these J bend or straight pull spokes?
I'll assume J bend.
You start the spoke through the hub FIRST.
You'll likely have to remove the "device" on that side of the hub.
When building a wheel, the last spoke takes the most bending to get in place. Ditto re the first spoke removed.
Old 02-10-21, 08:00 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
I'm just having a hard time getting the spoke more than a couple of inches through its whole (in the rim) without bending it.
Bending doesn't hurt the spoke unless you bend it so much, and so acutely, that it leaves a permanent kink in the spoke. Bend it just enough to get it in place; tensioning the spoke will pull it straight again.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-10-21, 11:02 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Are these J bend or straight pull spokes?
I'll assume J bend.
You start the spoke through the hub FIRST.
You'll likely have to remove the "device" on that side of the hub.
When building a wheel, the last spoke takes the most bending to get in place. Ditto re the first spoke removed.
Why would you say this? If you have a 32 spoke wheel, for instance, the last 8 will be exactly the same.
Old 02-11-21, 02:25 AM
Solo_rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you all for the replies and the help. Much appreciated. I had no luck getting the spoke through with the rotor on. It was impossible. Luckily, I found a star head bit for my screwdriver and took the rotor off. It was a simple thing to do. I then was able to get the spoke through but it did take a little bit of bending but once it was in place and with some tension it was straight again.

The wheel didn't wobble much after I put the spoke in. It still needed just a little bit of truing, which I did as it's something I've done before. No truing stand but used a pen and the bike's frame to hold the pen against it. But thanks for the zip tie tip. I usually use the brake calipers as a guide but this is a bike I just bought and it's my first one with disc brakes. I also did a brake adjustment on it. Both brake levers were touching the handle grips when pulled. A couple of YT videos and i think I got it right. I like tinkering with stuff, which I think helps.

Again, the question about the spoke tension meter wasn't for this job since it's only one spoke but I am a perfectionist and I always try to get things as close to perfect as possible and try to keep them that way. I know spokes tension changes with time and was wondering if that tool is really necessary to avoid problems. The few times I did my truing was just by feel and sight but is that good enough ? Obviously if the wheel is reasonably true that should be a good indication but is it possible to overtighten one side of the spokes to where the rim pulls more to one side? Is that even possible ? I'm thinking it should be easy to see that if it happens but I don't know.

Thanks again for the replies.

Last edited by Solo_rider; 02-11-21 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-11-21, 04:04 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts

Again, the question about the spoke tension meter wasn't for this job since it's only one spoke but I am a perfectionist and I always try to get things as close to perfect as possible and try to keep them that way. I know spokes tension changes with time and was wondering if that tool is really necessary to avoid problems. The few times I did my truing was just by feel and sight but is that good enough ? Obviously if the wheel is reasonably true that should be a good indication but is it possible to overtighten one side of the spokes to where the rim pulls more to one side? Is that even possible ? I'm thinking it should be easy to see that if it happens but I don't know.

Well if you have progressed this far then you may be ready for a spoke tension meter. It will, of course, unleash a whole new set of issues in interpreting the results, but nothing a good tinkerer cannot handle.
Old 02-11-21, 08:36 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Hi.

Thanks.
It depends on how much you want to fight with the wheel. Bending the spoke probably won’t hurt it but the bending process is long and tedious. Why make the job harder than it needs to be? If you don’t have a T25 Torx wrench, they are readily available at your local hardware store. It is a lot less frustrating to go to the hardware store, get the tool, take off the rotor, and install the spoke than it will struggling with bending the spoke into place. You’ll have the tool for future use as well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-11-21, 08:56 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
A tensiometer helps build (or rebuild) wheels in a couple ways:

1. It'll make sure you are tensioning the wheel enough, but not too much. It's possible to build a wheel that's perfectly true, but the spokes will unscrew within a few hundred miles -- and start breaking, if you don't catch it in time. It's also possible to overtension the wheel, which can result in the spoke pulling through the rim. Expert wheelbuilders with lots of experience can get it right without this tool, but dabblers like me using a tensiometer can build a wheel better than some of the best LBS mechanics in my town without using one.

2. Especially on an older wheel, it's possible to get a wheel true in the stand while having widely varying spoke tension. The tensiometer will let you identify and correct an undertensioned spoke with two overtensioned spokes on either side of it (or vice versa). That'll save you finding out the undertensioned spoke unscrewing on the road, throwing the wheel out of true and, again, the unscrewed spoke may experience enough detension cycles to fracture.

You may be able to tune the spokes by ear if you're musical, or use a tuning meter, in place of a tensiometer. But that's another post.
Old 02-11-21, 03:03 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Thank you all for the replies and the help. Much appreciated. I had no luck getting the spoke through with the rotor on. It was impossible. Luckily, I found a star head bit for my screwdriver and took the rotor off. It was a simple thing to do. I then was able to get the spoke through but it did take a little bit of bending but once it was in place and with some tension it was straight again.

The wheel didn't wobble much after I put the spoke in. It still needed just a little bit of truing, which I did as it's something I've done before. No truing stand but used a pen and the bike's frame to hold the pen against it. But thanks for the zip tie tip. I usually use the brake calipers as a guide but this is a bike I just bought and it's my first one with disc brakes. I also did a brake adjustment on it. Both brake levers were touching the handle grips when pulled. A couple of YT videos and i think I got it right. I like tinkering with stuff, which I think helps.

To answer a couple of your questions:

The few times I did my truing was just by feel and sight but is that good enough ?
YES it is fine but since your bike has disc brakes it is a good idea to check it every now and then because unlike a rim brake your disc brakes won't rub and tell you the wheel is out of true.

Obviously if the wheel is reasonably true that should be a good indication but is it possible to overtighten one side of the spokes to where the rim pulls more to one side?
YES reasonably true is good enough and over tight is easy to do and can be avoided by making a series of small adjustments, turning the spokes minimally each time, and rechecking rather than over tightening and overshooting the mark.
Old 02-11-21, 03:58 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Spokes can be bent quite a bit when building or repairing a wheel as long as you don't kink it.
I use a tensiometer when I build or repair a wheel. It takes the guess work out of the equation.

Last edited by davidad; 02-13-21 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-13-21, 02:14 AM
Solo_rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK. Thanks again for the feedback. I gather a tensionmeter isn't really necessary then but a good tool to have for more accuracy and obviously to save time. I do have a musical ear and I know you can tell the difference between a loose spoke and an overtightened one by pulling on them. I don't think I'll ever need to rebuild a wheel since I ride my bike very gently on paved roads and I mostly ride during the summer months. I still haven't got a chance to ride this bike because of the cold wave we've been having here.