Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trusting your road bike after crash

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Trusting your road bike after crash

Old 02-14-21, 01:07 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I work in a shop and we have a policy about qualifying frame damage. There is no way to assure the owner the frame has not sustained damage that is hidden. My personal experience with carbon has taught me to always be skeptical of the integrity of the thing after any type of crash. Broken steerers, handlebars, and down tubes well after a crash have all passed through my hands at the shop.

Case 1, fella came in with a busted carbon hbar 1 year almost to the date after a bad crash that damaged the right brifter. The bar broke exactly at the brifter hbar clamp. Leads me to believe the damage was there, but unseen.

Case 2, fella contacted me about a broken carbon steerer. 1 year prior he had crashed quite badly and twisted the handlebar. Loosened stem and rotated back into position and has been riding it since then. About 10000 miles later the stem broke as he shoved off from his house to go on a ride. It broke exactly at the bottom of the stem clamp.

Case 3, fella ran into a parked car. No apparent damage seen so he thought nothing of it, but brought it in for inspection. 1 year later almost to the day the down tube split the entire length on the underside and he crashed and was badly hurt. Fortunately we were astute enough to have recorded the inspection and comments associated with it. In the comments we specifically told the guy there can easily be hidden damage in the frame tubes and he must get it inspected by a qualified repair center. He never did; We know this because he sued everyone who ever touched the bike. Settled out of court.

Case 4, 5, 6, 7, 8...there are plenty more. I just cut up a Giant Defy fork with a paint chip at the crown. Had been involved in a crash. Looking at the cross section where the chip is reveals the carbon is crushed and no longer whole. Happily we were able to convince him to replace the fork a week earlier rather than send him out on it.

Ride it if you desire, just be well aware that what you don't see can harm you.
. You guys still settled out of court even though you recorded the inspection?
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 02-14-21, 12:55 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
sorry to hear about your accident. I wouldn’t risk it with a carbon bike bc if something snaps while going down hill it will be another painful accident. Sell the frame and buy a new one. Sell it as a trainer bike. Ride safely!
How in good conscience can someone sell a bike they crashed and are unsure of its safety so lets dump it off on someone else. Even with the vague warning to be used as a trainer bike is selfish to say the least. If unsure then destroy or ride it yourself. Sad commentary.
Old 02-14-21, 01:14 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash and the damage to your bike, which sounds similar to the damage my bike suffered in a hit-from-behind crash--damahed right shifter, scrapes on the frame. Your injuries however, sound a bit more serious than mine, so take time to heal properly, but glad you're already thinking ahead to get back on the saddle. My frame is steel, so no real harm done, but I concur with others about replacing yours, even if it's just for peace of mind.
Old 02-14-21, 01:17 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
How in good conscience can someone sell a bike they crashed and are unsure of its safety so lets dump it off on someone else. Even with the vague warning to be used as a trainer bike is selfish to say the least. If unsure then destroy or ride it yourself. Sad commentary.
don’t be stupid, of course you as the seller you have to disclose on why you are selling it as a trainer bike because the obvious question from a buyer is why you are selling it as a trainer.

Last edited by jay4usc; 02-14-21 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-14-21, 01:35 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
don’t be stupid, of course you as the seller have to disclose on why you are selling it as a trainer bike. The obvious question from a buyer is why you are selling it as a trainer.
Why not destroy it if you determine it's not safe to be used as a bicycle. I will take the being stupid comment, you are not the first to throw that accusation. I have also been called considerate and having empathy over greed. So it all works out in the wash besides my dog loves me.
Old 02-14-21, 01:42 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Why not destroy it if you determine it's not safe to be used as a bicycle. I will take the being stupid comment, you are not the first to throw that accusation. I have also been called considerate and having empathy over greed. So it all works out in the wash besides my dog loves me.
you make it sound like I’m putting a gun on his head to sell it. Take your meds bro
Old 02-14-21, 08:38 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I work in a shop and we have a policy about qualifying frame damage. There is no way to assure the owner the frame has not sustained damage that is hidden. My personal experience with carbon has taught me to always be skeptical of the integrity of the thing after any type of crash. Broken steerers, handlebars, and down tubes well after a crash have all passed through my hands at the shop.

Case 1, fella came in with a busted carbon hbar 1 year almost to the date after a bad crash that damaged the right brifter. The bar broke exactly at the brifter hbar clamp. Leads me to believe the damage was there, but unseen.

Case 2, fella contacted me about a broken carbon steerer. 1 year prior he had crashed quite badly and twisted the handlebar. Loosened stem and rotated back into position and has been riding it since then. About 10000 miles later the stem broke as he shoved off from his house to go on a ride. It broke exactly at the bottom of the stem clamp.

Case 3, fella ran into a parked car. No apparent damage seen so he thought nothing of it, but brought it in for inspection. 1 year later almost to the day the down tube split the entire length on the underside and he crashed and was badly hurt. Fortunately we were astute enough to have recorded the inspection and comments associated with it. In the comments we specifically told the guy there can easily be hidden damage in the frame tubes and he must get it inspected by a qualified repair center. He never did; We know this because he sued everyone who ever touched the bike. Settled out of court.

Case 4, 5, 6, 7, 8...there are plenty more. I just cut up a Giant Defy fork with a paint chip at the crown. Had been involved in a crash. Looking at the cross section where the chip is reveals the carbon is crushed and no longer whole. Happily we were able to convince him to replace the fork a week earlier rather than send him out on it.

Ride it if you desire, just be well aware that what you don't see can harm you.
The lesson here: only ride a crashed bike for 11 months and three weeks.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 02-15-21, 12:33 PM
TMcDan78

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Adam, if you're not at fault, you need to require entire replacement of the bike. There is absolutely no way to guarantee the integrity of any part oft he bike following a collision with a motor vehicle. Any bike engineer will tell you "that's not what it was deigned for" and there are no bike shops that can ensure your safety. I'm assuming due to the extent of your injuries, you have representation? Tell them you expect a credit for your bike...
Likes For TMcDan78:
Old 02-15-21, 02:34 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Seems to me that asking the question indicates that you have already answered it, and you don't trust the frame.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 02-15-21, 02:40 PM
TMcDan78

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Seems to me that asking the question indicates that you have already answered it, and you don't trust the frame.
I wouldn't trust the frame, or a shop telling you it's OK to ride...even after replacing the obviously cosmetically damaged components. Sorry that my opinion is the more expensive route...but know that my opinion is 15 years in shops as a mechanic, and another 10 years now on the manufacturing side of the industry....so perhaps more informed than some. Hope you heal up OK!
Likes For TMcDan78:
Old 02-15-21, 05:41 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
x2

Like asking yourself if you trust a fart shortly after consuming loaded white castles power washed down with an arby's jamocha shake. oooofff
Old 02-15-21, 06:05 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
I now have a new bike and the crashed bike has taken up permanent residence in my direct drive trainer. As others have said, once it's taken a significant impact, carbon isn't to be trusted.
That is a perfect repurpose of a crashed bike that is still serviceable.
Likes For bikejrff: