Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Electric bikes taking over my city!!!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Electric bikes taking over my city!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 07:49 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
the jeep wrangler drivers use a winch to pull it up onto the stowNgo rack.
I'll mention that to my brother.... He bought a Wrangler with every option the Toledo factory could hang on it. I think it cost more than my house! Your post might finally give him a reason to use the winch.
Old 02-22-21, 10:23 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,271 Times in 1,273 Posts
My wife rides an electric assist bike and she loves it. It is a mid drive system by Bosch so you have to pedal to make it go. The last one I bought her was a hub drive and it had a throttle like a motor bike but she only used the throttle while she was pedaling as an assist. She prefers the new one because it climbs better and is easier to control. I don’t mind being passed by ebike on the road in bike lanes but I don’t like those bicycles with gas motors blasting by at thirty miles an hour on the bike lanes. The people who build those put the motor kits on old beach cruiser type frames with big ape hanger handlebars , frankly they ain’t bicycles and have no business in the bike lanes. They are obnoxious!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-22-21, 10:47 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
My wife has RA and was knocked out of cycling for 18 years. We used to ride our tandem and singles almost every weekend together. She did several rides in the century category but RA ended that. Now she has an Specialized Como e-bike and has gotten her back into short rides again and she loves it. She still has pain but the freedom she has found has transformed her spirit.

We know another couple and the wife also has RA and has purchased one. They too were avid cyclists but her pain was too great, and now she is back at it and loving it. See, you never know the real reason for such a purchase, and how life changing it can be.

Old 02-22-21, 11:45 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
I tried to order popcorn but it was delivered by e-bi^H^H^Hmotorcycle

I've seen threads where people discuss strategies for solving exactly that problem
Yup you can get a ramp for your hitch rack or use a wheel chair lift

Likes For Elvo:
Old 02-22-21, 12:53 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
whats the max lbs cap of that carrier?
Old 02-22-21, 01:40 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
My story goes that I originally got my wife an ebike in 2015 to get her back into riding. I had just purchased a GT Transeo at Performance Bike and we saw the $2500 ebikes on display, Her bike was half that price and within a month I converted an old Trek 800 to electric, so I could keep up.

It's 2021 now, and we've ridden over 10000 miles since 2016, with 2400 miles together last year (counts for almost half of that 10K). Couldn't have done it without Mssrs, Volatire, Ampere, Coulomb, Edison, etc. I did do 121 miles on the GT Transeo, a day's ride for some of you, a week for me.
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 02-22-21, 02:42 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Ebikes and non ebike KOM are all on the same group right?
Likes For burritos:
Old 02-22-21, 03:09 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos
Ebikes and non ebike KOM are all on the same group right?
no. try harder.
Old 02-22-21, 03:18 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
It seem all the people that I now that ride recreational at speeds 10mph and under have no problem with e-bikes. Only the the self proclaimed "elite" cyclists seem to complain about e-bikes.
That's what I think too.
Old 02-23-21, 02:31 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
worst thing is, if i am having a really good day on the trail, people think i must be riding an e bike.
Old 02-23-21, 03:27 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Just reread this thread and I'm motivated! Today I'm going to ride my Goldwing on the local MUP and drop the ebike riders!
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 02-23-21, 03:29 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I'll own a VanMoof by summer, I like ebikes.
Old 02-23-21, 03:39 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I really don’t care much about what creates the motive power.
Operator judgement, skill and speed advantage are far more important for overall safety IMO.
Can’t understand those who oppose ebikes mixing with other cyclists only based on the existence of a motor.
It Is Not A Race.
If it moves at the speed of a bicycle, handles like a bicycle and has a rider+operator weight comparable to a bicycle, well, let’s treat it as a bicycle.
Where’s the harm?
Likes For dabac:
Old 02-23-21, 11:07 AM
BlindGuyRides

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
thats how we got our e tandem. best investment my wife is blind we don't want to use public transportation so we ride everywhere.

Ok now that is full stop. Awesome.

I both want an e-bike, and at the same time the whole point of me cycling is to work on cardio and and a motor to 'help' seems like that defeats the point.

Edit: to be clear I am not opposed to e-bike, far from it. I just realize they probably would run counter to 'me getting in somewhat better shape.'
Likes For BlindGuyRides:
Old 02-23-21, 11:27 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by excess0224
I live in Newport Beach and it seems like everyone is riding an electric bike these days.
Is that a bad thing. At least people are out on their bikes.
Old 02-23-21, 11:37 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by BlindGuyRides

I both want an e-bike, and at the same time the whole point of me cycling is to work on cardio and and a motor to 'help' seems like that defeats the point.

Edit: to be clear I am not opposed to e-bike, far from it. I just realize they probably would run counter to 'me getting in somewhat better shape.'
Denying yourself something in order to force yourself to do something is playing victim to yourself. A bit like shooting one's self in the foot. There is no guarantee that denying yourself an e bike will make you fit. Control is 100% about making choices. Better to make the choice to enjoy an e bike and gain fitness. You can have both, its a matter of choice.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 02-23-21, 01:04 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by BlindGuyRides

you can get as much cardio as you want. but you can do it and go faster and climb hills faster or go farther. though with my bike the more out I want the less fast I can go or I need to go really fast like at 25mph. this was on a really good day for me on a 9.5 mile commute. I wish y body worked right and I could do this all the time. but I always get some workout usually its from 130 to 150 watts.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 02-23-21, 01:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My MIL used to live in Irvine so I used to ride around there a bit when we were visiting. I would take Jamboree out to the water rather than the Back Bay trail since even then it was full of squirrelly riders. Must be an absolute zoo now.
Old 02-23-21, 06:02 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by excess0224
I live in Newport Beach and it seems like everyone is riding an electric bike these days.
I used to live in Costa Mesa and when I'd bike around town people would look at me like I was on a flying saucer.

More people riding bikes in OC is definitely a good thing for people who ride bikes.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 02-23-21, 06:55 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
It's a liberal thing. If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.
Oddly enough I'm a liberal, and I don't understand.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 02-24-21, 12:35 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
worst thing is, if i am having a really good day on the trail, people think i must be riding an e bike.
This happened to me on a climb on my chunky carbon frame. Passed two older guys struggling up a long climb and was feeling good that day. One guy called out, I wish I had a e-bike too, to which I replied; Me too! I wanted to say, then I could pass you at twice the speed, but try not to be rude to people giving there all.

Old 02-26-21, 02:56 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,271 Times in 1,273 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
My wife has RA and was knocked out of cycling for 18 years. We used to ride our tandem and singles almost every weekend together. She did several rides in the century category but RA ended that. Now she has an Specialized Como e-bike and has gotten her back into short rides again and she loves it. She still has pain but the freedom she has found has transformed her spirit.

We know another couple and the wife also has RA and has purchased one. They too were avid cyclists but her pain was too great, and now she is back at it and loving it. See, you never know the real reason for such a purchase, and how life changing it can be.
Exactly! My wife and I have always ridden together...until she got RA and fibromyalgia. That ended her riding until we discovered ebikes. As I said in my previous post, she can now ride with me occasionally and is loving the ability to ride. Her limit is about fifteen miles , but that is fifteen miles further than before. The first time she tried one she had tears in her eyes. She had missed riding so much and she would watch me pedal away on my rides. I had no idea how much she was grieving
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-26-21, 06:22 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
E-bikes. Last one I encountered was going up an 8% grade at about 25 mph while I guess he was soft pedaling at about 40 rpm. Yeah, what a great workout he must have had. To me more power to you if you need one for whatever reason. For me, if I wanted a motorcycle, I would buy one that I could put my sweety on comfortably for day tours.
Old 02-26-21, 06:57 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
I don't know they seem like motorcycles to me but admittedly don't know a lot about them
Old 02-26-21, 09:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
E-bikes. Last one I encountered was going up an 8% grade at about 25 mph while I guess he was soft pedaling at about 40 rpm. Yeah, what a great workout he must have had. To me more power to you if you need one for whatever reason. For me, if I wanted a motorcycle, I would buy one that I could put my sweety on comfortably for day tours.
So let's take them same person and put them on a bike they aren't going to ride and where is the workout at all. If someone is out riding and has found something that will actually get them exercising then that is a good thing. If they aren't going to ride at all on a regular bike all that exercise is out the f'ing door. I would rather have them riding up that hill soft pedaling and enjoying themselves on a bicycle then not riding at all or worse driving a car.

Yeah Motorcycles can be cool but that is not the subject here. Bicycles that require pedaling and motorcycles that require throttling are two very different things and trying to conflate the two because some bicycles have motors but still require you to pedal to active them is just wrong. They may not be for you, e-bikes aren't for everyone but I can guarantee you if you actually rode one of quality that fit you decently, you would probably have a good time. I hated e-bikes for a while as well and then I rode one and figured out what they are all about and had a fun time. Yes a bike that has pedals but also has a throttle is not actually a proper bike but a motorcycle a really crappy motorcycle or I guess a Moped.

I get it though pedaling backwards is a tough thing to do and if you can do it you want to show it off. I personally am just fine pedaling forward and enjoying life. I have put people on pretty mediocre e-bikes who have held positions similar to my old position and your current position and they loved it. It is not hard. Call it whatever dumb name you want but it is the future and it is getting more people back on bikes and riding again and if that isn't a good thing then I am unsure what you would define as such.
Likes For veganbikes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.