Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Baker's cyst/knee pain?

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Baker's cyst/knee pain?

Old 02-13-21, 02:00 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Baker's cyst/knee pain?

Anyone have any experience with this?

My wife's knee "gave out" while riding up hill and is having some serious pain and stability problems. Four or five hours at the doctor, and the diagnosis is "baker's cyst", which is essentially an accumulation of sinovial fluid at the back of the knee. However, it doesn't seem to account for the level of pain and instability of the joint. If you know anything about it, is this consistent with the diagnosis?
Old 02-26-21, 09:37 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
It does account for it, but it doesn't that it is all that is wrong. If the doctor, a qualified ortho person, did any scans than they are right. If they did basic stability tests then you still don't know. I had a baker's cyst but ALSO had to have my meniscus repaired. All symptoms COULD have been covered with the baker's cyst, but an MRI told the entire story.
Likes For WonderMonkey:
Old 02-27-21, 07:14 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Thanks very much for the advice!

Are you doing ok now? Can you ride?
Old 02-27-21, 08:44 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Thanks very much for the advice!

Are you doing ok now? Can you ride?
Yes, I can ride just fine. I've had two cleanouts on this knee and each has gotten me a few years more. Not sure how many more cleanings I'll get before the countdown to replacement.

Though I train and box amateur, I don't skip rope. The boxing movements do require a certain amount of bouncing-type movements, but I minimize that as much as possible and just take my beating and go home. I'm going to be using the bike as a replacement for some of he work I'd normally do to get ready for a fight. I can't do that 100%, but I'm going to do as much as I can and just deal with the rest.
Likes For WonderMonkey:
Old 02-28-21, 10:23 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Joint instability can be aggravated by pain. We'll compensate by adopting ergonomically poor postures and motions to reduce the pain. That's okay for escaping emergencies, but bad pookie long term.

Ideally she'd want supervised physical therapy but that's inadvisable and possibly impossible now due to the pandemic. However there are some very good PT tutorials on YouTube. I consult several channels often, since I haven't been able to attend my PT clinic for the past year.

Unless there's joint damage that makes full rest and/or immobility the best choice, she might consider switching to some regular low impact, low stress exercises -- nothing more physically stressful than spinning on an indoor trainer, in addition to appropriate PT exercises to work range of motion, etc.

Another trick is to video exercises, cycling, walking, etc., and study the motions for caution flags. I've done that often for cycling and just did the same for Sunday's running session outdoors. I took one of my video cameras, did a one mile warmup walk to a quiet, flat road and set up the camera to check my running form approaching the camera, going away, and passing several times in both directions.

For the first time I noticed my right ankle collapses slightly with one pair of running shoes. While I'm not feeling any problems from that now, eventually it will lead to joint problems. My shoe sole wear pattern is good, indicating I'm a neutral runner with some heel strike, but not as much as I'd estimated; and mostly good form with expected wear on the forefoot and outer sole, with slight pronation. It's possible the slight ankle collapse was due to changing my ortho support insoles, or running on the roadside with a slight camber. So I'll restore the original ortho insoles, and repeat the test on flat terrain.

I've done this a couple of times a year with cycling, particularly when I make significant changes to bike fit, get a new/different bike, saddle, handlebar, etc. Analyzing the video has helped me spot problems and resolve minor ergo issues.

And FWIW, at my age (63 now) I figure on 4-6 weeks for full recovery from minor injuries such as strained muscles, joints, etc. I'm very impatient and often disregard my own advice. But I know from some supervised PT sessions that I feel discouraged if I don't get results in two or three weeks, but fare better after 6-8 weeks with careful PT sessions and sticking with the program. It's difficult because in my mind I'm still in my 20s and fool myself into thinking I can rebound in a week or two.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 03-02-21, 05:36 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Thanks for that. If only my body was as immature as I am socially.
Old 03-15-21, 05:12 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

This is quite the cyst ...

Originally Posted by MRI
1. Extensive radial tear at posterior root attachment of medial

meniscus. Intrasubstance degeneration of body and posterior horn

of medial meniscus.

2. Minimal free edge fraying at body of lateral meniscus.

3. Full-thickness chondral defect in medial femoral condyle

measuring 1.0 x 1.3 cm.

4. Mild subchondral bone edema in medial tibial plateau and to a

lesser extent medial femoral condyle, may represent stress

reaction versus contusion.

5. Moderate patellofemoral compartment chondromalacia as

described.

6. Intact cruciate and collateral ligaments.
Old 06-16-21, 09:00 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
About 8 years ago I had persistent pain behind the knee and in the uppermost calf. It turned out to be a Baker's cyst, but it didn't present in any way like you've described. no intense pain and no joint instability. Just nagging pain behind the knee. In the end, the cyst burst on its own and i was done with it.

There was also some chondromalacia, but it was minor and not really problem.

Doesn't sound comparable to your wife's experience or problem.