Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

This whole N+1 sickness

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

This whole N+1 sickness

Old 04-22-20, 02:19 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 261 Posts
This whole N+1 sickness

It seems like somehow I went from 1 bike to 4 and I’m not even sure what happened 🤣. Sad news is I’m still jonesing for an Orbea so I guess I’m addicted. My question however is for those of you who own multiple bikes ( just about everyone I gather?) are each of your bikes different in purpose or design or do some of you have multiple road bikes that only differ in brand name and color?
What is your strategy / thought process when looking for another bike?
Old 04-22-20, 06:30 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I have different bikes for different surfaces, different functions, and even different seasons.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 04-22-20, 07:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I have always had a winter worthy fix gear and always will. (Love riding fixed and have for 44 years now.) Had it and a good bike since 1973; the good bike changing as my needs did. (Raced late '70s. Had a do-everything custom built when I finished. (The Mooney. It does everything but like any true compromise, a purpose built bike can do any one thing better. After my marriage ended and I knew the bike scene in Portland better (and volunteered at a shop) I started putting together bikes from old frames and mostly old parts on the cheap to do those specific things. Landed a good job. I could have the custom made I'd wanted since I toke a spin on a Merlin MTB. Had it built locally. Three other bikes got thrown together, two from old frames and another custom.

I've stabilized at 5. The fix gear. A second fix gear (the most recent custom). It's a pure road bike, like we would have raced 30 years ago had gears never been invented. The next most recent custom, the Merlin inspired ti bike. Basically a very high quality version of a late '80s Japanese (very good) sport bike. My old, do everything bike, the Peter Mooney of my namesake. It's currently a classic English road fix gear now, a role it thrives at. Can't believe it took me 39 years to figure that out. And a 1973 Raleigh Competition. Just because the frame was there for $80, all 531 and should both fit well and make a classic gravel bike. It does and does. With fenders and panniers at both ends, also a great rain and snow, farmers market and occasional truck duty bike.

But I acquired a set of nice road parts from a forum member.. Might have to put together a late '80s race bike to put them to use. I call that the heyday of race bicycles. Steel frames(and ti) and steel forks at their best (in small diameters that ddin't dent when the bike falls over), great derailleurs and brakes, aero levers, great aluminum rimmed tubular wheels. Bikes that go forever.

One more bike and I run out of rack space. Cannot start it until I can leave the house. So 5 for a while longer.

Ben
Old 04-22-20, 07:06 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
I think 'thought process' may be the wrong term, though there are probably exceptions.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 04-22-20, 07:07 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have 4...…… 4 different functions. Training/daily ride bike. Event carbon bike, CX bike and mt bike.

Wife is good with having 4, but no more. So if I get another bike one has to go. So I gotten a compromise at 4 so I spend money/time upgrading and tinkering with them and its good. Now with Jr. getting older he will need two bikes. Mt. bike and road.....so I claim 6 now! Not to mention her one hybrid bike. So I guess we are at 7....
Old 04-22-20, 07:15 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
I do have 2 road bikes but one was a low level road bike from the early 90s and was justifiably upgraded with a higher end bike. But when I wasn't overly happy with the fit and feel of the race bike I changed just the frame and fork to have a better fit. From there all the bikes are different styles for different reasons. Like I really prefer cross for riding and racing and haven't had a real cross bike in years. I've used poor substitutes, like last year I raced on my gravel bike which was ok early season but only has clearance for 38mm tires and clogged up in the late season mud. The gravel bike was bought for touring and works perfectly for that from experience and is the only bike I have for that purpose.
Old 04-22-20, 07:25 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I quickly went form 2 bikes to 8 bikes, the latest acquisition is still NIB, components and all. They are all road type bikes but with different set ups. I go from a 2006 Schwinn SS DBX, all purpose fits wide tires, to a Airborne Zeppelin titanium light racing bike. I have one CF, one aluminum, one titanium and 5 steel. The one I ride the most now is a Lemond Tourmalet, and the least is my Orbea Avant CF.
Old 04-22-20, 07:57 PM
The Big Wheel
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have 4 bikes. My first one that I've had for over 15 years is a Walmart Mongoose Blackcomb, it's almost 40 pounds. I'm keeping this bike because it's nice to use in winter and I don't care much for it now. I mean, the ride is nice with the dual suspension but it's not even worth selling. I could probably get like $75 for it. I put hybrid tires on it, the ones that are slick in the middle and have knobs on the sides. I do have to say that this bike rides the best, soaking up all the road bumps, potholes, etc. I do have fenders and a rear rack on it.

I road this bike and the FX1 to work several times back to back and the FX1 was maybe 1 or 2 minutes faster which surprised me since it has front and rear shocks which robs your pedal strength with each stroke. I think the reason for this was because with the mongoose I didn't go around any potholes, cracks, etc. whereas the FX1 I did because I didn't want to bend a rim so it slowed me down a bit.

My next bike I got was a Trek FX1 two years ago, it's one of the cheapest ones Trek sells, has V brakes. I put fenders and a rear rack and ride it to work 6 miles each way when the weather is nice, which I do as much as I can in spring, summer, and fall.

Next up I got a Yuba Mundo cargo bike to haul groceries and also my daughter is almost 6 so she is almost too big for the kid bike trailer. Yuba was having a sale on this bike, I think it was $100 off. My daughter just learned how to ride a bike and she actually did 4 miles recently just riding around in a parking lot. With the cargo bike I can take her to my parents house 6 miles away (she's too young to actually ride that far and not be totally wiped out when she gets there) and also there is a campground 20 miles away and the route is 25% through neighborhoods and the rest 75% of the way on a railroad track that was converted to a bike path so it would be cool to go camping on this bike.

On the Trek FX1 on a 6 mile commute I average 13mph but can do 20mph with no problem but cannot go over 25mph no matter how hard I peddle in a straight line. I wanted to go a bit faster so I was looking online at Specialized Allez VS Allez Sport but they are in the $1,000 range.

So I went on Craigslist and picked up a 2010 Motobecane Nemesis for $350, just got it today. It's an internet bike and I'm pretty sure the frame is really a 2004/2005 Fuji Aloha frame but who really cares? The seller says it weighs around 15 pounds, I'm not sure how true that is because the stock weight on the 49cm is 18 pounds and this is the 58cm size but I have never picked up a lighter bike in my life. I didn't ask him if he did any aftermarket parts on it or not but I will weigh it soon. I'm going to be commuting on this bike to work when it's not raining, so I'm not putting a rack or fenders on it. I'm going to get a mid frame bag, probably a 4.5 L one to carry my lunch, etc.

So you can see each bike serves a different purpose and I don't see myself buying any more.

Last edited by The Big Wheel; 04-22-20 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-22-20, 08:18 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Two similar bikes for commuting. When you go out and need to get to work on time, the wife's already left for the day, and the car's at work, well, I need to have one for those times when something is going to take a couple hours to fix. So there's The Bike and The Spare Bike (aka The Rain Bike). Then there's the fun/travel bike. 8 pounds lighter than the other two.

But maybe I need a fun bike, lighter by a few pounds, maybe? And maybe all-road capable? And if I pitch it as, I need something newer than 11 years, maybe I can eke it past the approval board?
Old 04-22-20, 08:39 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Have ridden tandems since 2000. We are on our second tandem - the first one was donated to a good cause not long after we got the second/current one.
I've had at least two single bikes for several decades but never more than three. Currently have two recumbent single bikes. Plus the tandem. The singles are quite different - one was my commuter for a decade. Not actively lusting after +1 but would consider a titanium version of my steel recumbent if I stumbled across one. Or just a ti frameset. My other 'bent already had the original steel frame replaced by a ti frame a few years ago. Not completely immune to the call of n + 1.
Old 04-22-20, 08:50 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
It seems like somehow I went from 1 bike to 4 and I’m not even sure what happened 🤣. Sad news is I’m still jonesing for an Orbea so I guess I’m addicted. My question however is for those of you who own multiple bikes ( just about everyone I gather?) are each of your bikes different in purpose or design or do some of you have multiple road bikes that only differ in brand name and color?
What is your strategy / thought process when looking for another bike?
I have three bikes, Litespeed road bike, Nashbar boat-anchor commuter and a steel De Bernardi fixed-gear. I’m in the process of parting out the fixie to sell on eBay - I just don’t use it enough to justify having it just sitting there, and the proceeds will finance a new wheelset for the Litespeed. No interest in any more bikes- the two I have do everything I need
Old 04-22-20, 08:56 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
Look at it this way, -that four or five bicycles take up relatively little space in the home or the garage.
You should always make an effort to keep everything clean, neatly organized and orderly.
Your wife will likely like that and likely will not have any issues with such a realistically manageable number of bicycles.
Now for most folks when you collect more and that exceeds what you can count on the fingers of just one hand, that may just may, be something that your wife won't be happy about.
Old 04-22-20, 09:10 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 100 Posts
I have four bikes, each for a special purpose, in their order of use - a high end road bike, high end gravel bike, mid level FS MTB, and a tank of a MUT/Greenway bike. All bikes get ridden.

Back in the day I had a couple of fixed gear bikes that would get limited use in the winter, but I'm too old for that.

I'd like a high end hardtail MTB, but I feel guilty that it would take mileage off of my gravel bike.

If it snowed a lot where I live, I'd definitely get a fat tire bike.

Bicycling really isn't that expensive of a sport/hobby. Take up golfing. Even hunting. Or taking a performance car to the track. Or anywhere else you spend discretionary income. And I think the return on investment is great.
Old 04-22-20, 09:20 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
as many as 14, now down to 7

After retiring 5 years ago I bought a KHS Flite 223 to resume riding after stalling out in the early '80s. I started following Bike Forums and got hooked on the yearly "clunker challenges". It seemed like a good way to cheaply catch up on what tech had done to the cycling world since my basic steel 10-speed huffy and Ross days.
Oh boy.
I have NO Fear of Covid-19 (it is in reality only just another minor flu bug) but I now struggle mightily against the N+1.

I have given bikes to several siblings and a half-dozen to local kids (and a couple parents) while learning what I really liked and needed. Great fun actually, and I still learn daily from all the regular contributors to the forums. Especially the C&V!

That said, I now have a vintage carbon, a vintage Al and a vintage steel. All three converted to brake shifters. And a current (group rider) Specialized Al Elite along with a new Canyon Endurance Al. My current steel is the KHS 221 converted to gravel bike. An often crashed and no longer trusted vintage carbon Trek is the beater bike (always outdoors and left unlocked everywhere). I might be cheating here by mentioning the single speed is useless in these hills and is going to a younger brother. And the old rain bike (Ross 10 speed with fenders and rack) will be given away at the next opportunity.
So only seven is my story and I'm sticking to it. But Craiglist is like sugar to a six year old!!

my favorite ride
Old 04-22-20, 09:47 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
First of all, it's not a sickness but a mathematical equation given to us by the Cycling Gods for finding Bicycle Truth. Veteran practitioners gain true wisdom and true knowledge and truthful Cycling Bliss. And you get to Choose Freely according to your desires.

I ran through the evolution from friction to index to brifter,
From steel thru aluminum, to carbon fibre and titanium.
And yet I was unfulfilled.
In a dream the Cycling Gods passed on this wisdom -
they told me
Work on your position
Work on your pedaling technique
Build the engine
The rest can be your Fantasy.

so in the end, I kept the best Ti, CF and lugged steel - all Campa 10.
then decided to sell all the older bikes
and rebuild a group with one from each European country (mostly there)
with allowance for more Italian.
It makes me smile.

Here's 8 vintage lightweights I cleaned on yesterday.

and the CF Calfee

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-22-20 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-23-20, 05:42 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
for me it’s been a process but I’ve finally settled on just 3 different bikes, road, hybrid & 29er style mountain bike
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-23-20, 05:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
I have 2.

Road bike for road riding.

Touring bike for errands, commuting, on and off road touring, etc.
Old 04-23-20, 05:58 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Explaining large bike stables reminds me of when I heard someone ask Paula Poundstone why she had 14 cats.

”Well, I had 13, and then I got another one”.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-23-20, 07:03 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
My wife and I have 2 each-1 road and 1 mtn.bike. When we lived where there were many more off-road places to ride, we only owned mtn.bikes. Have given thought to a hybrid, but may just get a stem with more rise for the road bike. I also play guitar (4 of them). If you think some cyclists gather lots of bikes, you should see some of the collections of guitarists--saw one pic on a forum that one person owned over 50 guitars!
Old 04-23-20, 07:35 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
Look at it this way, -that four or five bicycles take up relatively little space in the home or the garage.
You should always make an effort to keep everything clean, neatly organized and orderly.
Your wife will likely like that and likely will not have any issues with such a realistically manageable number of bicycles.
Now for most folks when you collect more and that exceeds what you can count on the fingers of just one hand, that may just may, be something that your wife won't be happy about.
fortunately for me she has just as many 👍🏻
Old 04-23-20, 08:23 AM
russtopherb

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2019 Jamis Allegro Sport

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
My wife and I have 2 each-1 road and 1 mtn.bike. When we lived where there were many more off-road places to ride, we only owned mtn.bikes. Have given thought to a hybrid, but may just get a stem with more rise for the road bike. I also play guitar (4 of them). If you think some cyclists gather lots of bikes, you should see some of the collections of guitarists--saw one pic on a forum that one person owned over 50 guitars!
I only have 1 bike and just started riding again, and I'm already researching road bikes to go along with my MTB.

As far as guitars... I have 6. And I'm not even a solid guitar player, I'm more of a drummer!
Likes For russtopherb:
Old 04-23-20, 08:48 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
I have different bikes for different surfaces, different functions, and even different seasons.
I have 4. An absolutely killer steel race bike from the early aughts, 17lbs. If I still raced, I think it'd keep up even today. Campy never seems as dated though.

An old Tom Kellogg signature Spectrum, very cool and irreplaceable. This is an amazing old bike, it was gifted to me and actually fits perfectly.

An old Voodoo cross bike that is my gravel rig. I could see fit in replacing this with something techy and high zoot, but for my style of gravel, it might not make a difference.

As of yesterday, a modest hardtail 29er. It's fun. I'm already blown away by how much more capable off road it is than the gravel bike.

I think I'm set for while, possibly a 1:1 replacement on the Voodoo but with the way that bike runs, it could be years before I can justify it.

I've got 2 very little kids, so in the next few years I hope to clean more strollers out of the garage and add bikes.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 04-23-20, 08:55 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I have two, road and gravel. The gravel bike is also the backup road bike, for bad weather, etc. My road bike could technically do gravel, but I don't want to beat it up. lol If I were to add a third, it would probably be a TT bike.

I don't begrudge anyone their passion/hobby, but I look at the picture above and see 8 of the same bike, just in different colors, and I have no need for that, but that's just me. Reminds me of the Rainbow Sheik, a different color car for every day of the week. But whatever floats your boat.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 04-23-20, 09:57 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Some of my bikes serve similar but different purposes.

Of what I have built up and ready to ride 100%:
1 steel touring bike
1 modern ti road bike
2 vintage steel road bikes
1 aluminum fixed gear road bike
1 steel single speed/fixed gear cross/rando bike
1 steel hybrid (alt bars)

Of what I am going to be building this year into next or just finally finishing the build on for myself and not looking to get rid of:
1 modern ti mountain bike
1 vintage ti mountain bike
1 steel gravel/all road bike (alt bars)

All the road bikes that don't list handlebar are standard drop bars
All the mountain bikes are standard flat/riser bars of some sort.
Old 04-23-20, 11:00 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
I have 4 as well. Single speed road bike, mtb with fenders, track style bike with gears, and another mtb setup as a road bike. They are different enough that I can justify having them.
My "road bike" pretty much does everything and is my go to bike. It is also the lightest and fastest, but I don't get it wet or dirty.
Single speed I use for commuting on dry days.
Mtb with fenders I use during winter, when its wet and dirty, or I plan on exploring unpaved surfaces.
The Track bike I honestly don't need. I built it primarily because I liked the way it looks. It gets ridden the least.

I still look at other bikes for sale all the time. Kind of want a novelty bike like a mini velo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.