Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Radius 3 Handlepost broken and fix

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-20, 09:25 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts

Hi,

as a lot of here know, dahon radius 3 handlepost is kinda tricky to adjust: If you leave the adjustment too loose the block will break, if leave too tight it will break also.
Mine was no diferent and got broken yesteday after a single day of usage! i was brand new!

here there are two solutions to deal with: fix the block or buy a new one.
Here is the litle block.

cracked block.

fixed with baking soda + superglue.

here another angle

it can be sanded to give smooth finish, but for me it doesnt matter

i discover that you can fix it by glue with superglue and sodium bicarbonate!

it gets rock solid!

Last edited by BromptonINrio; 08-23-20 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-21-20, 10:27 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Can you point out which part got broken, for those of unfamiliar with the issue? Why should one use sodium bicarbonate? Thanks.
Old 08-21-20, 10:44 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

sure, here you go:

when you overtight this block it cannot hold and crack, like what happens on photo.
this crack leads to complete dismante of whis platis abs block and leads the handlepost to become wobbly.

you can buy a new block from uk and usa, for a cost of us$4,00 to £7,00 each, plus vat and shipping (25 to 35). Total to Brazil is like us$45,00 for a piece of square abs plastic. I simply refuse to pay!

sodiun bicarbonate(baking soda in USA) + supeglue(cianoacrylate) is a famous hack to glue hardplastics like the one found on dahon radius 3 adjustment block.

i tried find the exact chemical reaction with no luck.
i works and works flawlessly. There is many many videos of it on youtube.

Last edited by BromptonINrio; 08-21-20 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-21-20, 01:52 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Thanks. I did not know about the bicarbonate. The superglue system I have been most often using recently is the GlueSmith one and it comes with an accelerant so effective that smoke, heat and sparks can come out when the glue meets the accelerant. The accelerant there is some carbohydrate liquid.

On that note, further, glues have appeared in retail, called polyolefin bonders, that bond to the so-called inert plastics like polyethylene and can be stronger than superglue, but gain full strength over prolonged time. One is Loctite 1677288 and another Permabond TA4610 (Chem-Set 6110). They are expensive but you can use them to extend life of expensive products that you would otherwise need to replace. The guns and mixing nozzles for the cartridges, inside which they come in, are cheap provided you get no-name ones.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 08-21-20, 03:08 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Originally Posted by 2_i
Thanks. I did not know about the bicarbonate. The superglue system I have been most often using recently is the GlueSmith one and it comes with an accelerant so effective that smoke, heat and sparks can come out when the glue meets the accelerant. The accelerant there is some carbohydrate liquid.

On that note, further, glues have appeared in retail, called polyolefin bonders, that bond to the so-called inert plastics like polyethylene and can be stronger than superglue, but gain full strength over prolonged time. One is Loctite 1677288 and another Permabond TA4610 (Chem-Set 6110). They are expensive but you can use them to extend life of expensive products that you would otherwise need to replace. The guns and mixing nozzles for the cartridges, inside which they come in, are cheap provided you get no-name ones.
nice products, i did a research and they do exist here.
they are kinda expensive indeed. the dollar skyrocketed here.

Last edited by BromptonINrio; 08-21-20 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-21-20, 07:27 PM
2_i 

Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
nice products, i did a research and they do exist here.
I thought so. Loctite is the name that Henkel uses in the US, but not elsewhere. Industry must be in need of such adhesives, so they should be present for economic reasons.

Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
they are kinda expensive indeed. the dollar skyrocketed here.
There were times when 1 real was valued at about 1 $ and that was a bit outrageous . For US conditions these glues are fairly expensive too. With the cartridges, you use them up, though, very effectively and most projects and repairs end up consuming just small amounts.
Old 08-22-20, 02:12 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I thought so. Loctite is the name that Henkel uses in the US, but not elsewhere.
Nope, Loctite is very common in mechanical application... much easy to find in Europe than Permabond equivalents