Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

E-Bike Hub Motor Wheel Building

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 12:44 AM
aaronmichael

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello fellow bicycle enthusiasts,

As usual, I'm back with a wheel building question. I've found answers here and there on the web but it has been difficult to find answers to some wheel building questions. Particularly about e-bike wheels. I have recently had multiple e-bike hub motor wheels presented to me, in terms of lacing the (Bafang) hub motor to a regular wheel. This has left me with some questions.
  1. Can a regular double wall wheel (of any quality) withstand the forces of a hub drive motor? Or will the rim give way because of spoke tension or over stress?
  2. Can a hub drive motor be laced to a rim using 14G spokes with brass washers underneath the head? Is that enough to reduce the play in between the oversized hub drive motor holes and a standard 14G spoke?
  3. Will a 14G spoke withstand the forces of the hub drive motor? Or will spokes break prematurely? I suppose a spoke hardly ever (if at all) breaks in the middle due to stress. This maybe ties directly in with question #2 .
  4. If it is possible to build with 14G, is this safe?
  5. Does the weight of the hub affect required spoke tension? If the answer is yes, then this should play a huge roll in hub motor wheels.
  6. For a regular sized 26" or 29" hub drive motor wheel, would a 2x pattern be sufficient for a build?
I think I'm forgetting something else that popped through my head, but I'm sure it'll come up later. If anyone is bored and has some input on these questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 10-06-20, 11:23 AM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmichael
Hello fellow bicycle enthusiasts,

As usual, I'm back with a wheel building question. I've found answers here and there on the web but it has been difficult to find answers to some wheel building questions. Particularly about e-bike wheels. I have recently had multiple e-bike hub motor wheels presented to me, in terms of lacing the (Bafang) hub motor to a regular wheel. This has left me with some questions.
  1. Can a regular double wall wheel (of any quality) withstand the forces of a hub drive motor? Or will the rim give way because of spoke tension or over stress?
  2. Can a hub drive motor be laced to a rim using 14G spokes with brass washers underneath the head? Is that enough to reduce the play in between the oversized hub drive motor holes and a standard 14G spoke?
  3. Will a 14G spoke withstand the forces of the hub drive motor? Or will spokes break prematurely? I suppose a spoke hardly ever (if at all) breaks in the middle due to stress. This maybe ties directly in with question #2 .
  4. If it is possible to build with 14G, is this safe?
  5. Does the weight of the hub affect required spoke tension? If the answer is yes, then this should play a huge roll in hub motor wheels.
  6. For a regular sized 26" or 29" hub drive motor wheel, would a 2x pattern be sufficient for a build?
I think I'm forgetting something else that popped through my head, but I'm sure it'll come up later. If anyone is bored and has some input on these questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1. No super lights or light weights . . . middle weights on up. You want inner wall thicknesses of 2.2mm or higher.
2. Washers are NOT hole fillers - they are head / elbow spacers.
3. The bigger the hub and the smaller the rim, the more likely the spoke breakage. Overall, spokes on hub motors will not last as long as non hub motor wheels. Hub motors apply instant full torque. This is why you see a trend toward crank / bottom bracket centric motor setups.

I recommend 2.34 / 2.00 single butted or 2.34 / 1.8 / 2.0 triple butted at a minimum - just to put a teeny bit of beef where it matters while still building a traditional pre-stressed wire-spoked wheel.

4. What does a single 14g broken spoke do? Poke you in the eye? Scream "Geronimo", and force you over a cliff? Wrap itself around your fork or stay for dear life and send you flying into the back of an opportunistickly placed ambulance?

5. Weight = Load = Stress

6. https://www.mrrabbit.net/wheelsbyfleming/php Spoke length calculation spreadsheet has a t-chart tab. If it's a small cute motor at 36 holes in a 26" - 29" rim...both 3x and 2x will do.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Likes For mrrabbit:
Old 10-07-20, 09:00 AM
aaronmichael

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your input!