Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My Bernard Carre Special Competition

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-20, 02:54 AM
Addamsmith

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 18 Posts

would love to find out more about it like year and if rare.

Old 12-19-20, 08:47 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Looks interesting- lack of braze ons suggest earlier than later.
I have seen a few with vertical dropouts.
I would reward it with new paint.
not powdercoat
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-19-20, 08:48 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

dating -

appears could not be earlier than '73 nor later than '75

presence of Jubile cable guide suggests that it may have been last kitted with a Freres Huret gear ensemble

member @CV-6 will be along shortly with his usual outstanding help

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 12-19-20, 10:01 AM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Nice frame Addam. Diamond cut-outs in Prugnat S lugs suggests a top tier Carre...and with his stamp on willow-leaf seat stay caps...very nice (not all bikes with willow-leaf caps are from Carre so always nice to see that) . The vertical dropouts are pretty unique further suggesting to me its a custom. With brazed on cable guides but no water bottle bosses I think mid- 70s. Carre switched to another seat stay cap in 80s, What is the stack height?
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 12-19-20, 10:26 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Excellent find! I'm a Carre´enthusiast, but most of what I can share is largely repeating what the experts on here have shared with me. Those others will be along soon enough to offer more insightful commentary. Meanwhile, this is my Bernard Carre´, honestly one of my all time favorite bikes.

Mine is outfitted with SLJ mechs, Stronglight crank, and (interestingly) MAFAC cantilever brakes. Mine is, at a guess, late 60's/early 70's, and likely precedes yours only by a couple years. It rides great, as I'm sure yours will as well. Are you able to discern who Carre´ built your frame for? I can't decypher the decal remnants.
Likes For AZORCH:
Old 12-19-20, 10:45 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by AZORCH
Excellent find! I'm a Carre´enthusiast, but most of what I can share is largely repeating what the experts on here have shared with me. Those others will be along soon enough to offer more insightful commentary. Meanwhile, this is my Bernard Carre´, honestly one of my all time favorite bikes.

Mine is outfitted with SLJ mechs, Stronglight crank, and (interestingly) MAFAC cantilever brakes. Mine is, at a guess, late 60's/early 70's, and likely precedes yours only by a couple years. It rides great, as I'm sure yours will as well. Are you able to discern who Carre´ built your frame for? I can't decypher the decal remnants.
That is gorgeous. I love the look of the Stronglight crankset and your stunning paint job. It appears to be geared like a stock PX-10 of the same era, 52-45 / 14-21 -- a bit stiff for my abilities and local terrain.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 12-19-20, 10:54 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

In fact, the 53/45 Stronglight and 14/21 rear came off a PX-10. Gearing is indeed stout, but I can slowly struggle up the nearby bluffs as long as I pretend I'm still a 70's era teen.

OP: what plans are you formulating for your bike? I'm not one to often go the route of re-paint but yours may call for it. If you're so inclined, I actually recreated the Carre´ head badge artwork for one of the decal makers and I'd be happy to provide a file for you.
Likes For AZORCH:
Old 12-19-20, 11:44 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,796 Times in 2,282 Posts
If you're considering a repaint, I'd find someone who can do braze-ons. Shifter, derailleur cable guides and stops, and bottle cages wouldn't cost much to put on.

I agree that this one is worth a proper wet paint. If the price scares you off, Groody Brothers can do that work for you and powder coat it nicely, along with applying decals and clear coat. Here's one that was done for me:

Up close you can tell it's been powder coated, from 5-10 feet away it's had to tell the difference between wet paint and powder coat.

Cleaning it up, removing rust, and touching up the paint is a zero cost option. It's fine to ride as is. Another option would be to rattle can it yourself, get the decals, and clear coat it.
Old 12-19-20, 03:12 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Nice find. I pretty much agree with Markeologist with the exception of early 70s for the dating based on the position (under TT) of the brake cable stops. Also think it is more likely a private label bike shop build rather than custom. A good look at the remains of the head badge and whatever that is on the down tube could tell us more. On closer inspection, the remains of the head badge kind of looks like Bertin. Might be wishful thinking on my part. You don't see all that many Carré with 1060 drops. I would paint and not powder coat. But that is my preference. Click the link in my signature and you will find some Carré photos. One below, a later frame.

B. Carre July 2016 by L Travers, on Flickr

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 12-19-20, 05:06 PM
Addamsmith

A few more of my B.Carre

Likes For Addamsmith:
Old 12-19-20, 05:25 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
Addamsmith-

As cv-6 said, it's likely a product for a smaller shop although Carre also built for firms like Gitane, Lejeune and, for 1 year, Bertin. It is one of the higher end bikes because Carre used the diamond cut outs on his own bikes and only the highest end production bikes. It looks like a later 70s period. The photo below is a restored Carre/Bertin in Reynolds 531 which was Carre's preferred tubeset until the 80s when he switched to Vitus. Some Carre history and the restoration process is detailed here: https://bertinclassiccycles.wordpres...-andre-bertin/

I quite agree with AZORCH that the Carre is one of my most preferred bikes.
Likes For bertinjim:
Old 12-19-20, 05:58 PM
Addamsmith

Thanks everyone
i contemplating selling it or trading for a top end Gitane from 50s to 70s.
I have another carre and several Raphael Geminiani
but im trying to complete my Gitane collection.
If some one has a early 50s 60s Gitane top end frame they may want to consider swapping please let me know.
i may end up restoring, it did come with Campagnolo bottom bracket and headset that looked original.
Old 12-19-20, 06:00 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Originally Posted by CV-6
Nice find. I pretty much agree with Markeologist with the exception of early 70s for the dating based on the position (under TT) of the brake cable stops. Also think it is more likely a private label bike shop build rather than custom. A good look at the remains of the head badge and whatever that is on the down tube could tell us more. On closer inspection, the remains of the head badge kind of looks like Bertin. Might be wishful thinking on my part. You don't see all that many Carré with 1060 drops. I would paint and not powder coat. But that is my preference. Click the link in my signature and you will find some Carré photos. One below, a later frame.

B. Carre July 2016 by L Travers, on Flickr
Just so I'm clear Lynn, are you thinking its a early 70s because the cable stops are under top tube? No argument from me you know your stuff, I'll add that to my mental notes! Local shop makes sense too with your pointing out head badge...but that could still be a custom, a local shop owner ordering a top tier bike to represent his shop. As far as Bertin, I'm sure others will weigh in but has anybody seen a Bertin with the B Carre stamp on cap? Not saying they don't occur, I'm just not sure I've seen the stamp on a Bertin.

Last edited by Markeologist; 12-19-20 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-19-20, 06:15 PM
Markeologist

Is the head badge (decal) Carre's own?

Old 12-19-20, 06:21 PM
repechage

In 1972, the Carre attributed LeJeunes had under the top tube guides on the left when intended for a Campagnolo or same sided brake.
What tempers my declaration as to year is the fork crown.
Suggest you reference that. I have a C.N.C. from 1975-76 that has a similar crown.
You might brush up on your French and inquire at the tontonvelo forum.

is there a brand of steerer on the fork?
Is the head tube seamed? Most of my Lejeunes have such.
Old 12-19-20, 06:22 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by Markeologist
Is the head badge (decal) Carre's own?

one variation, yes.
Old 12-19-20, 06:25 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by bertinjim
Addamsmith-

As cv-6 said, it's likely a product for a smaller shop although Carre also built for firms like Gitane, Lejeune and, for 1 year, Bertin. It is one of the higher end bikes because Carre used the diamond cut outs on his own bikes and only the highest end production bikes. It looks like a later 70s period. The photo below is a restored Carre/Bertin in Reynolds 531 which was Carre's preferred tubeset until the 80s when he switched to Vitus. Some Carre history and the restoration process is detailed here: https://bertinclassiccycles.wordpres...-andre-bertin/

I quite agree with AZORCH that the Carre is one of my most preferred bikes.
Handsome bike, but must have seen a ghost and was scared to white from Black.
Old 12-19-20, 06:31 PM
Markeologist

Originally Posted by repechage
one variation, yes.
I’m referring to the badge (what remains of it anyway) on Addam’s frame we are discussing.

Here is my Carre in progress. First gen Campy Record.
Old 12-19-20, 06:34 PM
AZORCH

This was scanned and cleaned up from a rarely seen Carre badge. "Rare," because he seems to have seldom branded his frames other than stamping the leaf.

I recreated the art in a vector file for one of the decal sellers. They sent me a couple of the decals, although I created a waterslide version for my bike. Incidentally, the gray color is actually a silver mylar. Here is the recreated art:
Old 12-19-20, 06:45 PM
Markeologist

sorry I wasn't clearer...I know these are Carre's badge...and I know they are rarely seen...is the badge on Addam's Carre we are looking at here
one of these rarely seen badges?

Old 12-19-20, 08:45 PM
repechage

Not much to work from
Old 12-19-20, 09:35 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Originally Posted by Markeologist
Just so I'm clear Lynn, are you thinking its a early 70s because the cable stops are under top tube? No argument from me you know your stuff, I'll add that to my mental notes! Local shop makes sense too with your pointing out head badge...but that could still be a custom, a local shop owner ordering a top tier bike to represent his shop. As far as Bertin, I'm sure others will weigh in but has anybody seen a Bertin with the B Carre stamp on cap? Not saying they don't occur, I'm just not sure I've seen the stamp on a Bertin.
I should preface my comments each time with this is what I have seen or learned from others. Norris Lockley is probably the person who knows the most of BC and even he says he learns something all the time. Please do not confuse me with an expert or the final say. BC is a bit of a mystery man and a prolific builder.

That out of the way, yes to the cable stops under the TT. The "Carré built" Lejeunes carried the under the TT stops until the association ended in 1975. That date from a person who worked for the Lejeune team. So it could run into mid 70s. And upon further consideration, I think the fork crown moves it that way. AFA the head badge, I would really like a closer shot. But it does not appear to me to be the head badge AZORCH shared. I see some yellow. You don't see that headbadge very often on a frame. Kind of like the L.B. Carré markings that pop up from time to time. Those head badges are available from a firm in the UK. They do a nice job on them.

Bertin: I cannot say I have seen a Bertin with the B. Carré stamp on the seat cap. As I said, it might be wishful thinking on my part. I do have a Carré built Bertin but it is a C35. And oddly enough, when I queried Norris Lockley on it, he said he had the exact same frame, same color. My Bertin is nearing completion.

Pic below is a Columbus frame (ala Markeologist) that is at Franklin Frame for repair and refinish. Note on my frame it has all the extra cost chroming, but not the square cut outs of a top of the line frame. This frame was a shop frame. I could make out Abel Borne on the DT panel.

Bernard Carré/Abel Borne 1 by L Travers, on Flickr

Lynn Travers

Photos

Last edited by CV-6; 04-07-21 at 11:20 PM.
Likes For CV-6:
Old 12-19-20, 10:41 PM
Addamsmith

Close up of head tube decals

Old 12-20-20, 12:09 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Whatever that head badge is, it is not Bernard Carré.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 12-20-20, 12:46 AM
Markeologist

Originally Posted by CV-6
I should preface my comments each time with this is what I have seen or learned from others. Norris Lockley is probably the person who knows the most of BC and even he says he learns something all the time. Please do not confuse me with an expert or the final say. BC is a bit of a mystery man and a prolific builder.

That out of the way, yes to the cable stops under the TT. The "Carré built" Lejeunes carried the under the TT stops until the association ended in 1975. That date from a person who worked for the Lejeune team. So it could run into mid 70s. And upon further consideration, I think the fork crown moves it that way. AFA the head badge, I would really like a closer shot. But it does not appear to me to be the head badge AZORCH shared. I see some yellow. You don't see that headbadge very often on a frame. Kind of like the L.B. Carré markings that pop up from time to time. Those head badges are available from a firm in the UK. They do a nice job on them.

Bertin: I cannot say I have seen a Bertin with the B. Carré stamp on the seat cap. As I said, it might be wishful thinking on my part. I do have a Carré built Bertin but it is a C34. And oddly enough, when I queried Norris Lockley on it, he said he had the exact same frame, same color. My Bertin is nearing completion.

Pic below is a Columbus frame (ala Markeologist) that is at Franklin Frame for repair and refinish. Note on my frame it has all the extra cost chroming, but not the square cut outs of a top of the line frame. This frame was a shop frame. I could make out Abel Borne on the DT panel.

Bernard Carré/Abel Borne 1 by L Travers, on Flickr
Thanks Lynn and I know of Norris and some of his Carre's including his team bikes with initials stamped on seat stay cap. If I recall, he has both a JA (Anquetil) and a LA (Aimar) stamped frames...grails.