Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake Hood Install / Gear Shifter Cable

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-05-21, 07:36 PM
SethL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I just purchased new brake hoods for my cannondale road bike. I saw the youtubes to remove the old ones and put in the new ones and its pretty straight forward. The only problem is my gear cables are on the top part of he shifters/breaks and the brake hoods have to pass through the cables to be installed. So to install I would have to remove the gear cables from the shifters which I don't know how to do or cut the brake hoods slip them over the cables and glue back together.

I think not but is removing the gear shifter cables and putting them back easy to do? If so, is there a video or instructions on how to do it. I can't find it online.

Are there any other suggestions?

Last edited by cb400bill; 01-05-21 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-05-21, 08:07 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by SethL
I just purchased new breakhoods for my cannondale road bike. I saw the youtubes to remove the old ones and put in the new ones and its pretty straight forward. The only problem is my gear cables are on the top part of he shifters/breaks and the breakhoods have to pass through the cables to be installed. So to install I would have to remove the gear cables from the shifters which I don't know how to do or cut the breakhoods slip them over the cables and glue back together.

I think not but is removing the gear shifter cables and putting them back easy to do? If so, is there a video or instructions on how to do it. I can't find it online.

Are there any other suggestions?
there are stacks of YouTubes on installing mechanical group sets, including installing cables and setting up the shifting. GCN has several, and I imagine Park tools has some. If you’re doing it, I would consider getting a couple of new cables rather than reusing the old ones - easier to thread new cable through the housing. New OEM shifter cables are maybe $6-7 each. Double benefit of learning to do stuff with your bike, and not having to cut up new brake hoods
Old 01-05-21, 08:26 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,690 Posts

Old 01-05-21, 08:37 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
I'm not seeing a good video on the hoods, but look up replacing cables on your model. You don't want to cut them.
Old 01-05-21, 08:52 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
This video is virtually useless to the OP.
Old 01-06-21, 12:17 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Remove the cables, remove the tape from the bars, remove the brake levers from the bars. Then install the hoods onto the brake levers. reinstall the brake levers onto the bars, cables, then tape.
Do Not Cut The Hoods!
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 01-06-21, 08:41 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Before you do anything spend a few minutes looking at the the way the cable runs and how it works.
Does it shift and work properly now?
Put it in the lowest gear.
Pluck the cable inner so you can to get an idea of how much tension the cable has now.
Do not move any barrell adjusters now.
Once you have watched and noted what way it goes you can start to disassemble.
Make sure the cable ends are good so they can easily be reinstalled.Any fraying of the ends get a new cable before you start
You can loosen the pinch bolt from the derailleur and thread the cable out of the outer.
You can get slack by pulling on the outer cable at the lever or the derailleur and then pulling the inner cable out from there. It should pull out easily.
Assembly is reverse. There should only be a tweak of the barrel adjusters when you are finished.
Old 01-06-21, 09:49 AM
SethL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks everyone for these great ideas. This forum is really amazing. I am not mechanically inclined so I am very hesitant to unscrew or pull any cables from my bike. I am most likely going to go with cutting the new hoods (the only cost $12) and gluing them or taking it to a mechanic.

If I do the gluing, I can just order a new set and have my mechanic install them when I take it the next time when it does actually need cables or something bigger
Old 01-06-21, 09:58 AM
cxwrench

Do NOT cut the hoods.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-06-21, 10:51 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Ha, ok, cut them...you can paste them back together with shoe-goo. We had a guy that would shave off the brazen-on's named Andrew and the process is still known as being 'drewed. If you post a picture, we can archive it as the "seth"...
Old 01-06-21, 11:36 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
The only hoods I know of where brake cables are routed through the hoods are for vintage non-aero brakes. There are no shift/brake levers routed through the hoods, in fact I can’t recall any shift cables routed through the hoods.

You will have to remove the brake cables from the brakes and re-install them. Something even a non-mechanical person, (who can magically identify and track down vintage brake hoods but seemingly cannot loosen a brake cable) is able to accomplish.

John
Old 01-06-21, 11:44 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
The only hoods I know of where brake cables are routed through the hoods are for vintage non-aero brakes. There are no shift/brake levers routed through the hoods, in fact I can’t recall any shift cables routed through the hoods.

You will have to remove the brake cables from the brakes and re-install them. Something even a non-mechanical person, (who can magically identify and track down vintage brake hoods but seemingly cannot loosen a brake cable) is able to accomplish.

John
I imagine the OP is using old Shimano STI with the "flying" shifter cables - he mentioned "brake hoods", but he's not talking about brake cables.
Old 01-06-21, 02:30 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO

John
Read the first post again. OP is talking about the gear cables being the problem, not the brake cables
Old 01-06-21, 02:34 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Yep. External routing of shift cables on older “and” lower end STI’s.

My brain was thinking through the hoods.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 01-06-21 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Edit to amend to statement that older did not mean lower end.
Old 01-06-21, 03:01 PM
curbtender

Should be older and* some low end shifters. You don't want to get the 7700 crowd going...
Likes For curbtender:
Old 01-06-21, 03:08 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 953 Posts
The brifters with externally routed shifter cables do NOT have cables going through the hood. This is a 105 5600 shifter:

You do NOT have to take off the derailleur cables to change hoods. You just have to take off the brake cables, and then remove the levers from the handlebars, and then pull the hood off the back of the lever body. The secret to changing hoods, is to squirt some armor all into the inside of the hood. That will make removal and installation way, way easier.
Old 01-06-21, 10:49 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The brifters with externally routed shifter cables do NOT have cables going through the hood. This is a 105 5600 shifter:

You do NOT have to take off the derailleur cables to change hoods. You just have to take off the brake cables, and then remove the levers from the handlebars, and then pull the hood off the back of the lever body. The secret to changing hoods, is to squirt some armor all into the inside of the hood. That will make removal and installation way, way easier.
Only if you want them to slip around for a week or 2. Isopropyl is the hood lubricant of choice.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-07-21, 09:24 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee

If you reread post #8 you will see that the OP does not feel comfortable with that method either