Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

grease on rotor bolts?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

grease on rotor bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 07:12 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
grease on rotor bolts?

I religiously grease everything when cleaning/repairing, especially bolts. It looks like I bathe in it after working on the bike. What about the bolts holding the disc rotor? Without grease they might lock up, so I grease. Is this bad practice for the rotor bolts, perhaps I should even use blue Loctite?

Thanks.
Old 02-22-21, 07:39 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Blue loctite on rotor bolts. I try to keep petroleum products away from my brakes, as much as possible.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 02-22-21, 07:39 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
I religiously grease everything when cleaning/repairing, especially bolts. It looks like I bathe in it after working on the bike. What about the bolts holding the disc rotor? Without grease they might lock up, so I grease. Is this bad practice for the rotor bolts, perhaps I should even use blue Loctite?

Thanks.
As an obviously advanced member of the greasing school, I am looking to you to answer that question. Do you use copper grease for the rotor bolts? I have yet to fit one, but a long time ago, in my wasted youth, I would use copper grease for brake calliper bolts on cars, and the locating pins for the pads. But they got very hot and wasted, and I have never checked the temperature of a bicycle rotor.
Likes For Geepig:
Old 02-22-21, 08:58 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I grease 'em. Or better still use anti seize compound. Never had any come loose, and never heard of it happening. Best of all I never had heads stripped out when attempting to remove because they were frozen stuck.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 02-22-21, 09:01 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
For rotor bolts I would use a mild threadlocker like blue Loctite. Those are the bolts I do not grease everything else gets grease or anti-seize. Also when installing a rotor do not touch the actual braking surface of the rotor and if you do clean it with isopropyl alcohol with a clean paper towel (or something that would not have oil on it like some rags.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-22-21, 09:03 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Loctite 242 or alternative brand equivalent is the appropriate "blue" thread-locker to use.
Old 02-22-21, 09:22 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
On the tube container of my Lithium compex EP grease, there's a writing that says the grease is ideal for lubricating disk brake components of automobiles, especially, the front wheel bearings where the disc brake rotor is attached. The grease being tolerant of high temperatures.

Of course, an automobile disc brake is different than a bike's
An old drill I had sounded like the bearings could use grease, so I tried to spray a touch of white lithium grease into bearing. Bad idea, the electric rotor briefly caught on fire from the grease spray. So I wonder of the heat tolerance on brakes.
Old 02-22-21, 09:27 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
An old drill I had sounded like the bearings could use grease, so I tried to spray a touch of white lithium grease into bearing. Bad idea, the electric rotor briefly caught on fire from the grease spray. So I wonder of the heat tolerance on brakes.
There are different types of lithium grease and I assume some conduct electricity well possibly causing the fire plus the spray variety may have some type of flammable propellant. Check the specs on the grease containers for ratings.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 02-22-21 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-22-21, 10:28 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Spray-on grease, catching things on fire- this thread has potential!
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 02-22-21, 10:41 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by Geepig
I have never checked the temperature of a bicycle rotor.
I checked. They get hot!

Likes For dsaul:
Old 02-23-21, 12:57 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
I checked. They get hot!

So, hot enough to leave a mark on the skin, but not hot enough to singe the hair...
Likes For Geepig:
Old 02-23-21, 01:32 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Blue LocTite or Vibra-Tite. I would not use a lubricant on your rotor bolts. Me? I use Blue Vibra-Tite Gel. It's a competitor to LocTite. I like the gel because it sticks where you put it and doesn't run all the way into the threads...or other places you don't want it to. And, if you need to remove the bolts, they come out fairly easily as long as you have a quality Torx or hex wrench that fits tightly (Bundhus or PB Swiss).

Last edited by drlogik; 02-23-21 at 06:35 PM.