Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy shifter cables same as Shimano

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-16-12, 07:55 PM
Lawrence08648
Advisor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A friend dropped off his Campy to change his shifter cables and housing. I have shifter cables I've been using for Shimano bikes. Are they the same for Campy, aka will they work on a Campy?
Old 02-16-12, 08:13 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
No they are not. Campy Ergos use a very slightly smaller barrel end than Shimano STIs and using Shimano cables in them will likely jam the end fitting in very firmly. It will work until you have to replace that cable and can't remove the old one without drilling it out. Jagwire makes double ended shift cables with a Shimano barrel on one end (embossed "S") and a Campy barrel at the other (embossed "C") and you just cut off the unneeded end.

If you can't get the proper cable, you can file down the diameter of a Shimano cable end to fit the Campy brifter using the old cable end as a size guide.
Old 02-17-12, 12:33 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,346 Posts
+1,

Campy heads are a bit smaller. When I ran Campy's east coast service center I had a steady volume of levers sent in with the old cable jammed into the cam. it was enough that I ended up making a small tool for the express purpose of pushing the jammed heads out.

Regardless of markings test the fit by putting the head into the pocket for it backwards before treading the wire. it should fit absolutely freely. A borderline fit that's sort of snug will bind later on because corrosion swells the zinc head slightly making a kiss fit into a jammed fit.

While you're at it, dip the cable head in grease or oil to make your life easier when you go to remove it a few years later.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-17-12, 05:56 AM
Lawrence08648
Advisor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The LBS said they were the same so I got the standard Shimano. I'll have to go to a different bike shop.

The only thing different is the head, and putting a tap of grease on it is a good idea. I have synthetic grease I use for the wheel bearings, that will work well as it won't harden or get thick. A creme consistency.

What about the housing? Is it the same for Shimano and Campy? aka will the diameter of the cable be the same if I get the correct Campy cable.
Old 02-17-12, 08:35 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by Lawrence08648
The LBS said they were the same so I got the standard Shimano. I'll have to go to a different bike shop.

The only thing different is the head, and putting a tap of grease on it is a good idea. I have synthetic grease I use for the wheel bearings, that will work well as it won't harden or get thick. A creme consistency.

What about the housing? Is it the same for Shimano and Campy? aka will the diameter of the cable be the same if I get the correct Campy cable.
It's amazing how many LBS's are unfamiliar with Campy components and their foibles. Either get the correct cable or modify the Shimano cable end so it fits freely in the Campy brifter. Yes, the housings are the same.
Old 02-17-12, 08:44 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
actually, the compatability is a bit interesting. The older ergopower and newer ultrashift veloce levers will work with shimano shifter cables, but the new powershift levers will not.

The cable OD and housing ID are slightly different for campy as well. It's not enough to cause binding problems, but it's less than ideal.
Same issue with the brake cables. The heads and diameter of the cables are slightly different between shimano and campy, but not so much that they are problematic.

It's nothing that can't be solved if you use a metal file.
Old 02-17-12, 08:53 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by AEO
actually, the compatability is a bit interesting. The older ergopower and newer ultrashift veloce levers will work with shimano shifter cables, but the new powershift levers will not.....It's nothing that can't be solved if you use a metal file.
My 2006 Ergopower brifters will not take the standard Shimano shifter end fitting properly and require the smaller "Campy" end. They also need a slightly smaller brake cable end fittings. As noted, a file solves all problems.
Old 02-17-12, 09:12 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
My 2006 Ergopower brifters will not take the standard Shimano shifter end fitting properly and require the smaller "Campy" end. They also need a slightly smaller brake cable end fittings. As noted, a file solves all problems.
ah, that's interesting. my 2007 veloce levers accept shimano shifter cables no problem.
Old 05-04-20, 09:05 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO
ah, that's interesting. my 2007 veloce levers accept shimano shifter cables no problem.
2007-2008 Veloce and below are Escape, along with 2005-2007 Xenon.

Every other Campagnolo lever is different.
Old 05-04-20, 02:29 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO
actually, the compatability is a bit interesting. The older ergopower and newer ultrashift veloce levers will work with shimano shifter cables, but the new powershift levers will not.

The cable OD and housing ID are slightly different for campy as well. It's not enough to cause binding problems, but it's less than ideal.
Same issue with the brake cables. The heads and diameter of the cables are slightly different between shimano and campy, but not so much that they are problematic.ee

It's nothing that can't be solved if you use a metal file.
my 1999 Chorus shifters won’t take Shimano cables, but as has been mentioned, a minute with a file makes them fit fine. I don’t expressly grease the cable end, but it likely ends up getting greasy as I thread the greased cable into the shifter
Old 05-04-20, 02:59 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I have like 02 or so Chorus Ergo's. Seems that some brands of cable fit and others need a file. It's not a high tolerance piece.