Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Riese and Muller Tinker

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Riese and Muller Tinker

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 04:07 PM
chainlink

Bikes: Brompton, Tern eLink D7i (sold). RM - Tinker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riese and Muller Tinker

Just made a decision to plunk down some change on a R&M Tinker ebike. I've been reading reviews and am wondering if anyone here has any experience with them? Beltdriven and Nuvinci hub.
Old 07-23-18, 10:04 AM
maddy13
late night rider

Bikes: masi vincere/ san jose

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you looking at the 20mph version (I think that is what the Nuvinci is) or the speed version?

i saw one of these in my lbs the other day, and could see this filling the need for a fast commuter if space was at a premium.
Old 07-23-18, 07:31 PM
chainlink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking at the 20 mph with the Nuvinci. Test rode it and loved the way it handled. Need to wait a little longer to scare up some more funds first!
Old 07-26-18, 07:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,645 Posts
I have not ridden the Tinker but have ridden various R+Ms and love them all (Delites, Chargers, Packster, Load, Nevos...) I can say I hated the Nuvinci on non-electric bikes but on electric bikes that hub is the bee knees especially with a belt drive it is quiet efficient and allows you to change "gears" anytime even while pedaling though the gear shifting motion is backwards from everything else and I still cannot keep it straight all the time but I surmise if I rode one daily instead of occasionally I would get more used to it..

I think for an urban bike a belt drive makes a ton of sense because all you have to do is ride the damn thing. No lubing or degreasing and only occasional cleaning if it gets really dirty and even that is spraying a touch of water generally and maybe a tiny bit of silicon spray.

I wish I had the money for a Supercharger and a Load and also the need for a Load (I don't really ever haul cargo and my touring is done with panniers). Those are my dream e-bikes put a 28mph motor two batteries and an XTR Di2 drivetrain with a Fox Kashima coated fork in that Electric Blue color Supercharger and I am happy!
Old 08-04-18, 02:09 PM
mkatz

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One thing I'd watch out for. I had the Nuvinci model of the Tinker. Power assist was great. Hills disappeared. Range was good. Power assist generally was transparent. The annoying problem that neither I nor my LBS techs were able to resolve was that under pedalling load at moderate revs the belt was responsible for an annoying "thrumming" vibration. My impression is that not all Nuvinci Tinkers exhibit this; ideally, test ride the actual bike that you are considering buying.
Old 08-08-18, 06:37 PM
chainlink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkatz
... My impression is that not all Nuvinci Tinkers exhibit this; ideally, test ride the actual bike that you are considering buying.
interesting. Problem with this is that the LBS that id buying from require full payment before ordering since it's like buying a custom ebike for them.