Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

4L in a backpack?

Old 02-18-19, 02:33 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
4L in a backpack?

I'm thinking about some h2o options.

Comfort over 10+ hours is important. So is not spending a gazillion dollars on hydration systems that I'd only need once or twice a year. I'd love to use stuff I already have. My 70oz bag and single bottle on the frame is a little small.

I have a 4L dromedary bag. I also have a BD bullet pack. It's more meant as a trade-off bag for multi pitch rock climbing, I can't say I'm in love with how it carries the big ol bladder. I'll take a short ride with the entire load and see. $0 extra

Are there other bags that can carry it in a more Camelback shape?

Tempted to get a 100oz bag on sale at STP and carry 2 bottles on the frame. Probably $80.

What are some of your water systems on long days? Mostly what I see looks super frustrating to ride all day with.
Old 02-18-19, 03:47 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Two bottles on the frame and I can mount another two on the forks if needed. I prefer a decades old 70 oz Camelbak Classic over fork mounted bottles unless it is blistering hot out. The Camelbak doesn't bother me and I forget it is there.

I have a newer Camelbak and a Platypus 100 oz system but the old, first generation Camelbak continues to be the most comfortable for me.

Other than that I bring a Sawyer filter and make my own water. Nuun tabs take care of electolytes.

Platy 1L and 2L soft bottles were cheap enough to experiment with but without a way to carry them apart from a frame bag they become cumbersome. They are better suited to camp use IMO.

All of this is just my opinion and preference. YMMV.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-18-19 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-18-19, 07:29 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
From my experience 4L in a backpack would not be a comfortable set up for long distance riding.

Three issues:

1. 4L is nearly 9 lb's which will wear on you after a while. I sometimes use a small pack touring but it only has light day clothes and a down jacket.
2. Air movement and heat rash. On a hot day that pack will press against your back and you will get sweaty. The sweat will not evaporate as it usually does and you may get a rash or worse, the sweat will trickle down the back and into your butt, making you more prone to saddle sores.
3. That weight presses down on your spine and into the saddle, making you heavier and again more prone to saddle sores.

Bottle cages are good or, if you want to use a dromedary, look at a frame bag. That keeps the heavy water weight within the triangle where it is most stable.
Old 02-19-19, 10:05 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
2 on the frame, 2 on the fork, and one on the top tube should get you at least 120 oz