Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Colorblind cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Colorblind cycling

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-19, 04:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Colorblind cycling

I have mild red-green color-blindness. I used to think that I couldn't wear sunglasses because they made it impossible to read traffic lights. After a little reading, however, I found out that grey-tinted sunglasses don't have that effect on my kind of colorbindness, but that any other color tint will. This checks out irl.

I bring this up for a couple reasons. One is that colorblind people are more prone to traffic accidents when driving, so I suspect there may be a similar effect with bicycling, and second, it is very common for people not to know they are colorblind. If you've never been tested for it, there are several tests online that you can administer yourself. I didn't realize it myself until I took a test in a college science lab class.

I suspect it makes it harder for me to spot obstructions on the road as some items just don't contrast with the ground as well for me. I'm super careful about the road ahead as a result.

Any other colorblind riders? How do you deal with it?
Old 03-27-19, 06:29 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Blue-green colorblind. I’ve known about it ever since I started school and couldn’t pick out certain colors. I’m now 72, and have not had any major issues with the colorblindness other than the wife *****ing at me for the clothes I decide to wear. I must admit that I have never seen a traffic signal that everyone tells me has a green light. It looks very white to me, so I stop on red, take caution on whatever color that middle light is (they say it’s amber) and go on white. However, I have never had any issues with sun glass tints. I currently ride with grey photochromatic lenses. With some shades, they actually bring out more color for me, even though I still can’t distinguish the difference with some colors.

BTW, colorblindness is hereditary and is predominantly a male issue but handed down through the female. I have one uncle, two cousins and two grandsons that are all blue-green colorblind.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-27-19, 06:51 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
IRT recongnizing traffic lights...does color blindness affect your ability determine whether or not the light is illuminated? Are you able to see that one of the lights is illuminated, just not the color of it? The reason I ask is that we all (U.S. drivers) know that red is the top light, yellow middle, and green bottom.

Dan
Old 03-27-19, 06:51 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
I would think that horizontal traffic signals would be more of an issue than vertical. At least you know red is on top.
EDIT: Think I was typing this as the poster above made his submission. There are places, like Quebec for example, where horizontal lights are common.
Old 03-27-19, 07:06 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Saw lots of horizontal traffic lights in Texas, I think they're all set up that way there. And they swing around on cables too. Weird. I guess it's to keep the frequent hurricanes from knocking them down.
Old 03-27-19, 07:41 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I have mild color blindness, enough to keep me out of Navy ROTC, and I probably couldn’t get a pilots or ship captain license if I were to try. I can’t see the numbers in those color test books full of dots, and the Navy told me I have difficulty distinguishing between green and white lights. I can see traffic lights and their colors just fine fortunately. I will sometimes call something orange and my wife says it’s red or vice versa. If I stray from my routine clothing combinations I will ask my wife if the colors are ok. That’s about it.
Old 03-27-19, 07:51 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
My red-green color blindness has not presented any issues with road cycling. Red and green blend with each other when objects are close together. It kept me out of potential law enforcement and military careers.

On the other hand, I have to pay particular attention when hiking to watch for rattlesnakes on the local trails. They blend into the adobe dirt. I have walked over two rattlers basking on the trail.
Old 03-27-19, 10:07 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My (Late) Father was colorblind, he , I recall , once commented, at a traffic stop, about the Blue light ...
on the overhead R Y G traffic lights.

Old 03-27-19, 10:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
IRT recongnizing traffic lights...does color blindness affect your ability determine whether or not the light is illuminated? Are you able to see that one of the lights is illuminated, just not the color of it? The reason I ask is that we all (U.S. drivers) know that red is the top light, yellow middle, and green bottom.

Dan
If I'm wearing brown, blue, yellow or green lenses, I literally cannot tell which light is on, so position is irrelevant. For reasons I don't understand, it filters out the light I need to distinguish the brightness of the lights.

With gray sunglasses, I am able to distinguish the colors of the lights as well as the brightness, perhaps even better than without sunglasses.

BTW, part of why people can have this without knowing it is because they really have no basis for comparison. I can tell whether something is red, yellow or green, but I have no direct way of knowing how the contrast I'm perceiving compares to a "normal" person.
Old 03-27-19, 10:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I swear this company chose their livery just to mess with my head:

TRUCK TRAILER Transport Express Freight Logistic Diesel Mack Peterbilt Kenworth Volvo Freightliner: YELLOW ROADWAY Volvo Day Cab Truck Dry Van Double Trailers, YRC Yellow Roadway Trucking Company Tifton Georgia
Old 03-27-19, 10:42 AM
jimincalif

If that's yellow, my colorblindness is worse than I thought!
Old 03-27-19, 11:25 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
I am color blind and it has gotten worse as I have aged. I drive a school bus and that requires a physical examination each year. Them exam includes both vision and hearing. When I am shown the color charts I can see some spots but cannot see the numbers as a whole. The examiner simply points at something that is the color red, color green and color yellow. I have no problem with that. Various shades of red, blue, and green and gray I evidently do not see correctly. When I was married I cannot remember all the times my ex asked my if I was really going to wear those color combos together. Not a problem anymore.
Old 03-27-19, 11:54 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
There are lenses available to correct color blindness. Try Google. Also in my case, a pair of cheap yellow or orange eyeshields enabled me to pick out reds and green where before I saw something like grey.
Old 03-27-19, 12:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ironwood
There are lenses available to correct color blindness. Try Google. Also in my case, a pair of cheap yellow or orange eyeshields enabled me to pick out reds and green where before I saw something like grey.

There's a lot of different kinds of colorblindness. Anything yellow or orange would definitely make my problem worse, I've proven that to myself by running a couple of red lights before I understood what was happening.

I know about and am skeptical about the colorblindness lenses--the results they claim don't replicate, and they actually won't make the glasses correction strong enough for my nearsightedness prescription so it's a moot point for me.
Old 03-27-19, 12:39 PM
TheRef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
They are orange!
Old 03-27-19, 12:49 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Mild blue-green colorblindness uncovered during a military entrance physical. There is a specific configuration of traffic signals, when combined with a particular type of street lighting, that can cause me no end of problems unless I am paying close attention. In Washington, DC and some other urban areas I have visited, some vehicle traffic signals are mounted on poles on street corners and not over the roadway. To make matters worse, DC has some somewhat low and decorative street lighting. I have see the street lights as the same color as the green light of the traffic signal and, failing to pay attention to the location of the actual signal, I have started to enter intersections on what was not a green signal. Color confusion is only part of the problem, most of it I attribute to not driving regularly where the pole mounted signals are common and the lower height street lighting. I normally have no problem recognizing and obeying signals mounted over the roadway.
Old 03-27-19, 12:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by TheRef

I actually found that before because I did want to make sure it wasn't my colorblindness. I didn't know about the "Yellow Taxi" connection although it was not THE Yellow Cab company.
Old 03-27-19, 02:31 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

Any other colorblind riders? How do you deal with it?
I deal with it by being observant. I can tell red from green, but can't always tell red from amber. Amber is always in the middle. Red is at the top or on one end in the case of a 3-light display. In the case of a single blinker, red always has a stop sign to augment the light.

When in doubt, slow down and take clues from other traffic. Treat it as a stop sign if you must.

Edit: I only see about half the numbers in those color vision tests. A few of the screens will look like different numbers depending on your color vision. So I might see a 6 where someone with normal vision would see a 14. Others are just a mess of dots to me.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 03-27-19 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-27-19, 03:43 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
When I was a kid I could tell the numbers in the circles of dots. When I went through military enlistment processing, that's when I found out that I had gone colorblind. I could see the number in the very first one, however I failed the rest of them. Then they put me in a dark room with a small light that would be either white, green, or white, and I failed that test too. They still let me enlist but they put me into radio because my ears were perfect.

I can tell most colors apart just fine but I have a really hard time with brown/green. In anything other than very bright light, I can't tell those colors apart at all. Clothes that are hunter green look brown to me.

But when it comes to traffic signals, I can easily determine red, yellow, or green, so I never have a problem with driving or biking. Now if they were to introduce a brown light, I might have problems.
Old 03-27-19, 04:23 PM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
When I was a kid I could tell the numbers in the circles of dots. When I went through military enlistment processing, that's when I found out that I had gone colorblind. I could see the number in the very first one, however I failed the rest of them. Then they put me in a dark room with a small light that would be either white, green, or white, and I failed that test too. They still let me enlist but they put me into radio because my ears were perfect.
Yup, same drill for ROTC. First the number books, failed that, then the Farnsworth Lantern test, same little light in a dark room. I remember the name as they referenced my failing the test in the rejection letter. This was around 1975.
Old 03-27-19, 04:52 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Then they put me in a dark room with a small light that would be either white, green, or white, and I failed that test too.
Oops, I meant either white, green, or red.
Old 03-27-19, 05:19 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I am not colour blind but I am very interested in this thread. Our sight is useful but without the input here I might not have understood how much we rely on colour in our daily life. I can remember many years ago my nephew was visiting us. We had a small place and we had a portable washing machine that we kept in our kitchen. He couldn't understand why we didn't use it to wash dishes. He also thought that our television was broken because the pictures were in black and white. He didn't know that our "dishwasher" was a washing machine for clothes and he had never watched anything but a colour TV. This thread has been very instructive.
Old 03-27-19, 06:39 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Imagine my dismay when I discovered I had a green tail light.

Joking... my color blindness is mild and really manifests in browner shades of green and red. I have no trouble at all with primary colors or traffic lights. I'm sorry for people who have more serious problems.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-27-19, 11:52 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7651 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I would have thought this would be a joke thread ... instead it turns out we need a "Colorblind Cycling" forum page.
Old 03-28-19, 02:46 AM
markjenn

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
From what I've read, companies claim to have lenses that correct color blindness, but none truly do. Some lenses may shift the perception of color to a color blind person one way or the other such that that they may do a bit better in distinguishing colors in certain situations, similar to how certain sunglasses might improve vision for certain activities. But these glasses will never let you see like a person with normal color vision.

I'm moderately red-green colorblind, discovered in grade school. This has discouraged me from pursuing a piloting career (which may be a blessing), but not from flying as you can fly non-commercially with faulty color vision. Otherwise, it hasn't affected my life much, but I am occasionally befuddled distinguishing things that others see easily. (For example, some color-coded bar charts and the like can give me fits.) Traffic signals aren't much of an issue as I easily read the red and yellow signals, but I do occasionally find that the green signals blend in with background lights at night. I'm a little more cautious perhaps, but no big deal. I see some greens, like a lime, very vividly but the green of a fir tree is pretty subtle. Color blindness, especially red-green, is pretty common - I recall that about 8% of males have it to some degree, but it is much rarer in woman. But woman carry the defect between generations.

There is cutting edge research being done to come up with a color blindness "cure" using gene therapy and it has worked in monkeys. But work is moving very slowly and human trials haven't started yet. I doubt I'll see a cure in my lifetime.

https://www.neitzvision.com/research/gene-therapy/

- Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.