Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake Release Problems

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brake Release Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-04, 08:58 AM
kiingfinny
DC fixie-commuter

Bikes: Outback fixed gear (commuter), Giant TCR (tri's and road), Cannondale f700 (XC)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brake Release Problems

I have a '99 Giant OCR with Ultegra/105 mix. My rear brake (105) doese not release all the way when I release the lever after braking, and as a result the pads continue to rub the rim. I took it to my LBS, and they tweaked the barrel adjuster and lubed the brake joints (at the pivot, i guess?) and it solved the problem for the remainder of that ride, but it has come back. Any suggestions? Is there something that is overtightened, do I need to replace a spring?
Old 04-20-04, 10:54 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by kiingfinny
I have a '99 Giant OCR with Ultegra/105 mix. My rear brake (105) doese not release all the way when I release the lever after braking, and as a result the pads continue to rub the rim. I took it to my LBS, and they tweaked the barrel adjuster and lubed the brake joints (at the pivot, i guess?) and it solved the problem for the remainder of that ride, but it has come back. Any suggestions? Is there something that is overtightened, do I need to replace a spring?
I'd try this: There is a little screw on one of the brake arms. It's purpose is to equalize the return spring tension on the two arms. Adjusting this screw so that both arms retract together may solve your problem. You have to exercise the brakes WITH THE LEVER to see how your adjustment is going. Just squeezing the caliper with your hand doesn't seem to work as well.

If it seems like you have to screw the screw in farther than it will go to make it work, try this: Unscrew the screw about half way. Now loosen the bolt that holds the caliper onto your frame and carefully reposition your caliper so that the two arms are about equi-distant from the rim. Now you can fine tune your brake with the spring adjuster screw again.

Hope that does the job for you.
Old 04-20-04, 11:25 AM
kiingfinny
DC fixie-commuter

Bikes: Outback fixed gear (commuter), Giant TCR (tri's and road), Cannondale f700 (XC)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Ill give them a try tonight.
Old 04-20-04, 11:38 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 52 Posts
I don't exactly know but does the 105 caliper have this equalizing screw? My feeling is either your brake cable is sticking somewhere or the caliper itself is not 'centered' at the pivot mount. This usually causes one pad to continuously be very close or ride on one side of the rim.
Old 04-20-04, 12:40 PM
Avalanche325

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would make sure that the cables are clean and lubricated. If they are the originals from 99, they are overdue for replacement.
Old 04-20-04, 12:49 PM
jpel85

Bikes: specialized p.2, schwinn predator, to be built ss road/track machine.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Avalanche325
I would make sure that the cables are clean and lubricated. If they are the originals from 99, they are overdue for replacement.
what he said^.... definetly sounds like worn cables/housing. especially on a 5-6 year old bike. although it could be a spring tension problem.
Old 04-20-04, 01:27 PM
Calvin Jones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is possible the brake pivot is adjusted too tightly. Disconnect the brake cable and squeeze the pads to the rim. If the arms are not returning fully, the pivots may be the problem. For dual pivot service see https://www.parktool.com/repair_help/...ualpivot.shtml
Old 04-20-04, 05:50 PM
Jay_2004
-RiDe On-

Bikes: 1 Supercycle Hoolagan ...(i need a new bike as you can see)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its not likely....but if you are consinuously engaging / disengaging your brakes....it COULD be that your brake return springs are weak now....if turning the adjustment screw wont help....try taking off the arm and repositioning the spring
Old 04-20-04, 08:09 PM
Rev.Chuck
The Red Lantern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My b et would be on the cable binding in the housing. I would loosen the cable binder at the brake and check for the free movement of the cable in the housings. You will probably find that the cable/housing at the bar has a lot of striction. If so, go ahead and replace both front and rearcables and housings and put on some new bartape. I would also do shift cables and housings as well.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 04-21-04, 07:41 AM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
It could be the cable or housing. But it could also be the calipers themselves. I have Ultegra dual pivots from 1999 on one of my road bikes and was having similar problems with the rear "sticking". So I replaced the cables with teflon coated brake cables. No change. I took apart the calipers and saw crud and grime on the pivot surfaces. After cleaning them up, the brakes now work great. Silky smooth and no sticking.