Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

poison oak anyone

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

poison oak anyone

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-04, 08:55 PM
rockstar
damn straight

Bikes: aluminum, carbon, steel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
poison oak anyone

well i went to the ER today after work (i work in the operating room so it wasn't to far) when i noticed a god awful rash on my leg that started on my ankle to the top of my knee and felt the worst itching i've ever felt. i rubbed my hand across my blistered leg and my skin literally sloughed off i was freaking out, i thought it could be poison ivy/oak but i honestly don't remember coming in contact with either. i was thinking F*&K i must have contracted a flesh eating bacteria, i mean you see alot of stuff while operating on folks. i was suprised and relieved when the doc said it was poison oak although he also said i was a bad case and that i really reacted badly to the oils. i really have no idea when i came in contact with it, i ride 2-3 times a week but i guess you never know
Old 04-15-04, 09:49 PM
Deanoldo

Bikes: '05 Yeti 575, , 01 Cannondale SI1000, 03 Felt F65, 07 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar
well i went to the ER today after work (i work in the operating room so it wasn't to far) when i noticed a god awful rash on my leg that started on my ankle to the top of my knee and felt the worst itching i've ever felt. i rubbed my hand across my blistered leg and my skin literally sloughed off i was freaking out, i thought it could be poison ivy/oak but i honestly don't remember coming in contact with either. i was thinking F*&K i must have contracted a flesh eating bacteria, i mean you see alot of stuff while operating on folks. i was suprised and relieved when the doc said it was poison oak although he also said i was a bad case and that i really reacted badly to the oils. i really have no idea when i came in contact with it, i ride 2-3 times a week but i guess you never know

OH, YEAH!!!! I've been fighting it for a week and a half. I finally went to the Dr. a couple of days ago and have been taking Prednisone. I'm not sure when I came in contact with it either. Nothing over the counter seems to work for me. My doctor told me to take a couple of benedryl before I go to bed and if it doesn't stop the itch, at least it will knock me out for the night....

Dean
Old 04-15-04, 10:47 PM
forum*rider
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yuk, poison oak is nasty stuff.

Did the sores/itchy spots spread to your hand when you touched it? Because I remember thats what happened to my uncle a few months back. He got it on his leg then scratched it, then started scratching his back and well, you get the idea.
Old 04-16-04, 02:52 PM
veghead
BikeJunky

Bikes: Santa Cruz Superlight, Redline Proline 24, Felt F45, Fuji Cross Pro, Specalized M2 Stumpjumper, Surly CrossCheck, Atala track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had good luck using Tecnu and CalaGel from Oak-n-Ivy.
Old 04-16-04, 03:58 PM
BlackDiamond

Bikes: 03' BigHit Comp/DH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'm immune to it. I have ridden and fallen in the patches my frinds just have to look and they are wiped out. With no ill effects. You should have seen my friend though...looked like some lizard or snake. NANAANNA does not bother me nanananana
Old 04-19-04, 10:13 AM
themuffinman149

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
my friends a real nature guy, he says that it often looks like apart of a bush, or is very close to other plants, i dont no why. he also says the way its shaped even if ur jjust riding down a hill the leafs tend to wrap ur leg.

poison oak is just out there hunting u. u r the pray. thats why i where very light jogging pants wen biking :-p

Old 04-19-04, 10:16 AM
kona_roastbika
Kona_roastbika is YOUNG

Bikes: kona roast with 2004 dirt jumpers ll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yikes i got stung by a bee when i was rideing
Old 04-19-04, 01:14 PM
kona_roastbika
Kona_roastbika is YOUNG

Bikes: kona roast with 2004 dirt jumpers ll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heres a pic of posion oak
Old 04-19-04, 01:19 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackDiamond
I think I'm immune to it. I have ridden and fallen in the patches my frinds just have to look and they are wiped out. With no ill effects. You should have seen my friend though...looked like some lizard or snake. NANAANNA does not bother me nanananana
Don't get too complacent. I understand that successive exposure to poison oak/ivy may cause you to become increasingly reactive to it.
Old 04-19-04, 04:50 PM
cryptid01
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've found the best temporary relief comes from getting in the shower and blasting the infected patch with increasingly hot to very hot water. It will make you itch like crazy, but once you've depleted your body's supply of histamines, it won't itch again for four to six hours.

I'm a land surveyor, and I used to have frequent exposures. Pure agony. I ultimately went with a homeopathic treatment (actually ingesting the oil orally to build a tolerance) and never caught it again.
Old 04-19-04, 04:52 PM
trekkie820

Bikes: 2004 Trek 4600 SS, 2016 Cannondale Cujo 2 SS

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wait a tick, you work in the O.R., and you had poison oak? damn, patients will think that their bloods itching!
Old 04-19-04, 05:27 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gastrocnemius
I've found the best temporary relief comes from getting in the shower and blasting the infected patch with increasingly hot to very hot water. It will make you itch like crazy, but once you've depleted your body's supply of histamines, it won't itch again for four to six hours.
Hitting the infected areas with a rag soaked in semi-diluted hydrogen peroxide also works pretty well.
Old 04-19-04, 07:59 PM
Jim311

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember the last time I got an awful rash. That's the last time I ever go on a bender in Vegas.
Old 04-19-04, 09:15 PM
Duffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Poison oak/ivy cannot be spread from one person to another or from one part of the body to another simply by touching. The oils penetrates the skin and stays there. I am very much alergic to both and have to be very careful when riding. I use an ivy block which works pretty well. I also make sure I do not touch or grab on to any trees,especially if they have a vine wrapped around them. If I suspect contact I immediately wash the area with water or use baby wipes to remove the oil.
Old 04-20-04, 03:09 PM
BlackDiamond

Bikes: 03' BigHit Comp/DH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope, I think I'm still immune. Even in the military I never had any problems, while my buddies would get eaten up.
Old 04-20-04, 06:54 PM
Hopper
Ride bike or bike ride?

Bikes: MongoosePro DH, Dart custom road bike, .243 Racing FR street bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick and easy solution involves a saw... he he he. Nah just kidding you may get in trouble for destroying the plant.

I don't know much a bout it cept it's a ***** when you touch it. When I was 4 I was camping and just grabbed a hand full of the stuff, it totally sucked.
Old 04-20-04, 07:01 PM
thedopefish

Bikes: Nakamura 9000 FS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i dont think ive ever gotten poison oak or ivy... and ive never broken a bone or had stitches....the worst ive gotten is some big nasty gashes... and i once sprained my ankle pretty bad skateboarding.
Old 04-20-04, 09:47 PM
Structure0

Bikes: Super V (Can-Endo)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zanfel. Zanfel. Zanfel. This is the best over-the-counter anti-Oak treatment. It actually works. Try some searches on it.

It is hyper expensive. Upwards of $35 for one tube. I thought I was crazy when I bought it the first time, since that sort of crap never works. But I was in horrible shape so I tried it. It worked. Amazing. And it has saved me from much misery since. If you apply it the next day or as soon as you notice you've contracted a case, you can almost eliminate it. Not quite magic (the rash won't go away once started even if the itch does) but damn close to it.
Old 04-22-04, 03:33 PM
rockstar
damn straight

Bikes: aluminum, carbon, steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trekkie820
Wait a tick, you work in the O.R., and you had poison oak? damn, patients will think that their bloods itching!
haha it's a good thing my patients are asleep cause it would probably hurt while we crack the chest and work on their heart... i was scrubed in for 7 hours standing on 1 foot and scratching with the other it was the worst feeling ever
Old 04-23-04, 05:33 AM
Jay_2004
-RiDe On-

Bikes: 1 Supercycle Hoolagan ...(i need a new bike as you can see)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the only place where poison ivy affects me is inbetween my toes...the worst spot...I guess i shouldnt be running around my house in bare feet though...lol
Old 04-23-04, 05:59 AM
MsVicki
Victoria's secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackDiamond
Yeah, yeah...I have heard that one before. I took my students on a field trip to the park once, and there was a big patch of poison ivy or oak. I told the kids to stay away from it and before I could stop him, one of my students whipped off his shirt, said "I'm not allergic to it!" and went and ROLLED in it.

The next day he came to school covered in Calamine Lotion. I guess he was allergic after all!
Old 04-24-04, 12:23 PM
GT_ATB32
Sport Class Racer

Bikes: 2003 Leader Bike LD 515 <----race bike, 1991 Cannondale SR 400, Haro Escape 8.3(dead, will revive to ride urban on),2003 Ironhorse Hollowpoint Expert, Random Frames and BMX stuff

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get A Chain Saw and cut down that evil oak!!!!!!