Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Road-to-Fixed conversion dilemma

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Road-to-Fixed conversion dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-19, 12:14 PM
icecarver

Bikes: Gitane Tour De France, parts bin fixie(Death Machine), Diamonback MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All right, time for plan B. After sitting in my pile of bike parts and pouting for a bit I started measuring and re-measuring parts and coming up with another plan. I found that the stock Tourney crank arms are 165mm. Yay. The stock spindle was 122.5mm Thus the 107 BB currently in the bike is a no-go. I tried a 110 and since the chainring is permanently attached to the drive side arm it rubs the BB shell but barely. A 113 might get me where I want to be. I got the 110 BB on Amazon so I returned it and ordered a 113 and a 122.5 BB. Those are on the way. In other news the secondary chainring patter is 130BCD so I ordered up a 46t 1.8 130bcd chainring off Ebay. My intention is to turn the currect fixed chainring into a spider and mount the new chainring on whichever side gives me a proper chainline. After looking everything over I'm feeling good about this. itching to get this thing on the road. Added bonus: I scored some 700x28c Continental Gatorskin clincher tires from a guy who was getting rid of his old wheelchair. I hope I'm not too excited to document the process. Will update with pics.
Old 07-09-19, 08:48 PM
icecarver

Bikes: Gitane Tour De France, parts bin fixie(Death Machine), Diamonback MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok... progress, sorta. bought a fistful of BBs in different spindle lengths. Found one that will work so I can return the rest (love prime shipping). Did a test fit and mock up:

Ended up grabbing the Kenda 700x25c tires w/tubes at a yard sale for $10!! Gonna hang onto the gator skins for another project. This crank will work but the chainring is fixed to the drive side crank arm. I'm going to have to do surgery. I have a 46T 1/8" chainring and the holes on the Tourney cranks happen to be 130 BCD!! Woot! Will post the process.
Old 07-20-19, 05:21 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
You could strip out the bottom bracket and take the frame to a lbs and have them face the bb down 2mm each side and you will be close to a 68mm bb length.