Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show me your Galmozzi

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show me your Galmozzi

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-14, 07:20 AM
slotcar55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
please https://plus.google.com/photos/10563...98398309383809

https://plus.google.com/photos/10563...19436526114849
Old 09-13-14, 11:56 AM
Realsly

Bikes: Galmozzi 60's, Tommasini 1998, Kotter 1988

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi folks

just found that forum and registered.

I got by the father of one my coworker and old Galmozzi from the 60's

I guess it is a Galmozzi Super Competizione

I had it restored by a guy here in Munich.
Results can be seen under
GALMOZZI 1978
Next year I will ride with a group of 8 others riders L'Eroica on it.

See, if I can make with it the famous "stradi bianchi" around Pieve a Salti: a dream place for riders who like it it really tough.
Old 09-13-14, 02:02 PM
Ed.

Bikes: 1938 Raleigh Record Ace (2), 1938 Schwinn Paramount, 1961 Torpado, 1964? Frejus, 1980 Raleigh 753 Team Pro, Moulton, other stuff...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
The first link didn't work, but the second.... beautiful. Funny, I was thinking this morning of David Newsomethingski (can't remember how to spell it) and his Galmozzi. He wanted a Masi, and I don't know whatever happened to his Galmozzi.

Wishing you a fun ride!
Old 05-12-15, 09:52 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I should probably put these here for posterity. I'm surely biased, but I think these are both exceptional examples.

The Pinarello was Galmozzi built...mid-60s, almost entirely original/period appropriate.

The Galmozzi is a 63'...also all time apprioriate:

Old 05-12-15, 09:58 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Those two look very of similar geometry at the seat tube. But up front very different. Which of course brings the question... How do they compare?
Old 05-12-15, 10:09 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I haven't ridden either enough to make any intelligent comments. I have 20 miles on the Galmozzi...and the saddle is horrendous. The Pinarello is waiting for tires...I rode it with some that were at the end of their life span...i have three rides on it or so...probably about 60 miles all told.

I think differences in the fork and headtube have more to do with photos and angles than actual differences...they're very similar bikes.
Old 05-12-15, 10:22 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
I like the Pinarello, Aaron(Green is a weakness here). what is the story with your saddle? Is that a Rudi special? The profile is unique to say the least.
Old 05-12-15, 11:02 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Those two look very of similar geometry at the seat tube. But up front very different. Which of course brings the question... How do they compare?
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I think differences in the fork and headtube have more to do with photos and angles than actual differences...they're very similar bikes.
I see it, too. Both photos seem to have been taken from a very similar angle. The Galmozzi appears to have a steeper head tube as well as less and later bend to the fork.
Old 05-13-15, 05:01 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by gaucho777
I see it, too. Both photos seem to have been taken from a very similar angle. The Galmozzi appears to have a steeper head tube as well as less and later bend to the fork.
The difference does exist, but I think it's less pronounced than it looks in the photo. The front of the Galmozzi is more aggressive.

Originally Posted by Roger M
I like the Pinarello, Aaron(Green is a weakness here). what is the story with your saddle? Is that a Rudi special? The profile is unique to say the least.
Yes...Rudi did make it. The idea was sort of along the lines of Otussi.
Old 05-13-15, 07:33 AM
repechage

I haven't ridden either enough to make any intelligent comments. I have 20 miles on the Galmozzi...and the saddle is horrendous. The Pinarello is waiting for tires...I rode it with some that were at the end of their life span...i have three rides on it or so...probably about 60 miles all told.

Some careful measuring I think will reveal quite a bit of difference, at least forward of the bottom bracket.
The question to be answered later is how does that translate to the handling.
(swap wheels too if you do that, make it apples/apples.)

One could say Galmozzi was more forward thinking with his own bikes.

I just finished doing an initial measure of two Colnagos, '72 and a '73. Same size. The '73 has a longer front center surprisingly. It is not in the top tube but 6 mm more fork rake. Who would have thought?
Old 05-13-15, 08:11 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I'll get that measured...I'm curious now. The Galmozzi certainly looks more aggressive on the front end (on an earlier model)...but keep in mind it's very possible both were customs.
Old 05-13-15, 04:52 PM
repechage

I'll get that measured...I'm curious now. The Galmozzi certainly looks more aggressive on the front end (on an earlier model)...but keep in mind it's very possible both were customs.
Yes, but a rider did not "order" angles from an Italian builder, you went to him for his view on what you needed.
With a relationship, the rider's feedback on how the bike behaved and the builders observations of the rider on the bike might encourage a suggestion on how to make the next bike different.

As one bike might be assumed to be contract built for Pinarello, to a spec. The Galmozzi might be assumed to be more of the world view of the builder.

A story from the 70's, I know of a few British builders who would build you whatever you wanted, even though it may not work!
A friend got his dream frame, built perfectly to the drawing… but the designer/client did not take into account the uneven or inflated diameter of a tire.
The rear tire hit the seat tube, so much so that the bike was unridable save for the narrowest (and smallest diameter) of tubular tires.
Be careful to ask for what you want! And get it! A front derailleur? not possible, single chainring only up front.
Bike had vertical dropouts, which trapped the error solid.
So it goes.

Last edited by repechage; 05-13-15 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-13-15, 06:51 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Heh!

I don't want to end up in an argument with IAB again about this, but to me...when you go to a builder, you are buying their knowledge of fit and performance. I know others see it differently, and I respect their view.

Given how small a shop it was then, i don't think it's impossible that the pinarello was custom as well. I'd love to know more about early Pinarello - there's not much info out there and you just don't see many pre-80s.
Old 05-13-15, 10:10 PM
repechage

Heh!

I don't want to end up in an argument with IAB again about this, but to me...when you go to a builder, you are buying their knowledge of fit and performance. I know others see it differently, and I respect their view.

Given how small a shop it was then, i don't think it's impossible that the pinarello was custom as well. I'd love to know more about early Pinarello - there's not much info out there and you just don't see many pre-80s.
I admit I would be a terrible custom frame client, I have ridden enough bikes now to know what does what and what I like.
Your Pinarello is the earliest I have seen yet, I have seen a few from the 70's, but not many even from that period.
Old 05-14-15, 06:17 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
My favorite anecdote on client design, from Ko Zieleman (of course):
Originally Posted by Ko Zieleman
Zieleman sighs. ‘Many people nowadays have read some little book or another. They arrive here, booklet or ad in hand, to show me how a bike should be made. They sometimes can ask even the shirt from your back! In the old days once in a while I built a frame as the customer wanted it, while I actually didn’t support the way it was done. I once finished a frame for a very well known Peugeot rider. It couldn’t be done like that, really, but he insisted. He returned after one month and said: ‘Ko, that bike won’t run. Can’t you take it back
from Fiets magazine date unknown.

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 05-14-15, 07:12 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Just fantastic.

I should probably put these here for posterity. I'm surely biased, but I think these are both exceptional examples.

The Pinarello was Galmozzi built...mid-60s, almost entirely original/period appropriate.

The Galmozzi is a 63'...also all time apprioriate:

Old 05-14-15, 07:29 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Interesting that the same builder used two very different lugs.

Old 05-14-15, 07:43 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by himespau
I've seen Galmozzi branded bikes from the period when the Pinarello was built and they did have the more standard Galmozzi lugs. I really like the contrast and similarity between the two. I think the Pinarello actually shows a bit more filing. Both have paint a step above most Italians from the period.
Old 05-14-15, 09:10 AM
Citoyen du Monde

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I admit I would be a terrible custom frame client, I have ridden enough bikes now to know what does what and what I like.
Your Pinarello is the earliest I have seen yet, I have seen a few from the 70's, but not many even from that period.
When I was living in Treviso I saw quite a few Pinarello bikes from the 50's, the large majority being city bikes but a few racing bikes interspersed. Very few if any were however as nice as Aaron's.
Old 05-14-15, 09:16 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde
When I was living in Treviso I saw quite a few Pinarello bikes from the 50's, the large majority being city bikes but a few racing bikes interspersed. Very few if any were however as nice as Aaron's.
What were Pinarello's production/sales figures like? Were most of their bikes from the period sub-contracted?

Stefano has an eye.
Old 05-14-15, 09:42 AM
peugeot mongrel

Bikes: 84 Coppi - 94 Hujsak - 82 Colnago Superissimo - 78 Ciöcc - 70's Galmozzi - 73 Lambert - 78 Motobecane Grand Record - 87 Peugeot Triathlon - 66 Peugeot H-40 - 78 Peugeot U08 - 85 Raleigh C-40 - 82 miyata 310 - 82 Univega - 85 Sterling SIS Mixte

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 14 Posts
You are indeed a lucky man!

Originally Posted by himespau
I've seen Galmozzi branded bikes from the period when the Pinarello was built and they did have the more standard Galmozzi lugs. I really like the contrast and similarity between the two. I think the Pinarello actually shows a bit more filing. Both have paint a step above most Italians from the period.
A Galmozzi from the 70s had lugs very similar to the Pinarello so it must have been a direction Angelo Galmozzi was going. Does anyone know when Angelo began to have full influence over the shop?
Old 05-14-15, 09:43 AM
Citoyen du Monde

Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
What were Pinarello's production/sales figures like? Were most of their bikes from the period sub-contracted?

Stefano has an eye.
It was one of many shops in the city of Treviso, but it only sold from its own shop until some time in the 60's. I believe it was a smaller than the brand Tarvisium (at least from the number of bikes that you see around Treviso) until the 70's. I believe that they subcontracted the building of frames for the most part, although I had a friend who did work as a framebuilder for them in the 80's, a time in which they were building about 5K bikes a year according to him.
Old 05-14-15, 11:02 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde
It was one of many shops in the city of Treviso, but it only sold from its own shop until some time in the 60's. I believe it was a smaller than the brand Tarvisium (at least from the number of bikes that you see around Treviso) until the 70's. I believe that they subcontracted the building of frames for the most part, although I had a friend who did work as a framebuilder for them in the 80's, a time in which they were building about 5K bikes a year according to him.
Thanks CDM!

I feel very fortunate to have one as unusual and special as it is...you were right, although I liked it from the beginning, it's more unique than I appreciated originally.

The blurb on the Pinarello site tries to imply they were all hand made by Giovanni, but I'd heard that Cinelli built bikes for them if you go back a bit.
Old 05-14-15, 11:34 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@KonAaron Snake - Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing! Another great thread true to C&V. I just have to say for those cruising, note that the brakes at the time were Universal, typically MOD 61 Center Pulls. For some crazy reason, I really like them. I think it is left over from my younger years with the experience of center pulls being able to space from the rims evenly compared to sidepulls. This would be the late 60's, early '70's. At the time, I couldn't understand why Campagnolo would offer the latter design.

Curios that the brake routing is opposite between the two bikes. My memory of the time period was left rear.
Old 05-14-15, 11:56 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by SJX426
@KonAaron Snake - Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing! Another great thread true to C&V. I just have to say for those cruising, note that the brakes at the time were Universal, typically MOD 61 Center Pulls. For some crazy reason, I really like them. I think it is left over from my younger years with the experience of center pulls being able to space from the rims evenly compared to sidepulls. This would be the late 60's, early '70's. At the time, I couldn't understand why Campagnolo would offer the latter design.

Curios that the brake routing is opposite between the two bikes. My memory of the time period was left rear.
Oy. You're right, I goofed. I am prone to silliness like this with bikes. Somehow I can be extremely meticulous and detailed with work, but when it comes to this sort of thing, I'm a bit of a doofus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.