Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Death Fork Dilemma

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Death Fork Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-11, 10:33 AM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 105 Posts
Death Fork Dilemma

Found a nice Viscount at a garage sale friday, complete with death fork. My dilemma is deciding what to do with it now. It's a little bit big for me so I will probably flip it, but not sure how to proceed. Should I................

a) Clean it up and sell it to a collector as an Aerospace technilogical oddity?

b) Swap out the fork and clean it up?

c) Swap out the fork and "fix" it, parts bin the leftover components?

d) Let it hang in the basement for eons with the rest of the backlogged projects?

Old 08-28-11, 10:37 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2957 Post(s)
Liked 3,026 Times in 1,541 Posts
is it a complete bike or just a frame? if it is a 'little' big swap out the fork with a medium priced replacement, tune it up and ride it. then you will have some experience with Viscounts bikes. this is the Alloy one with the pressed BB?

you can always just wax it and resell it.

PICS??

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-28-11, 11:03 AM
frenchbikefan

Bikes: Miyata 110, Schwinn super le tour 12.2, Schwinn super sport, Lemond Zurich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hopefully yours is in better shape than mine. seat post and stem are pretty much welded in by whatever chemical oddity has happened over the last 30 years. The fork sells for $20ish dollars on Ebay, almost pay for a replacement.
Old 08-28-11, 12:10 PM
flash2070

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I went to a garage sale about a year ago. There was no garage sale items in the front of the house, but the signs indicated to go around the back. I entered the enclosed patio, and all I saw were nickknacks, Christmas stuff, and household items. I was about to leave, but decided to ask the owner if she had any bikes. She thinks about it for a minute, and saids "come with me" She is leading me towards the back of her property, and in the distance I see a huge barn. My mind starts going off, and I'm visualizing that she opens the door to the barn, and once the doors open I see bikes, and more bikes hangin from the rafters! :-) The doors to the barn were not opened, but on the side of the barn there are two bikes. One is a folding bike, and the other is a beautiful Viscount (white and red color scheme). I look over the bike, and I determine that it is in great shape. I then ask her how much she wants for it, and she looks at me with a sweet lovely smile and saids "You may have them for free!" I asked her if she was sure, and she responded that they were not being used and to just take them. I rode the Viscount with the death fork for about a month, and I can still report that I have all of my teeth. I ended up selling it with full disclosure of the fork pressumed challenges. It was definitely a light bike, and rode extremely nice. I would recommend that you ride it, and since it has some collectability, sell it in the future.

Flash
Old 08-28-11, 01:09 PM
realestvin7
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
They have strange geometry. If that doesn't bother you, ride it. I would. Replace the fork if you want.
Old 08-28-11, 04:03 PM
robatsu

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I'd choose the first option.
Old 08-28-11, 04:10 PM
bikemeister

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Sell the death fork to a collector who wants to keep his Lambert/Viscount "pure", and install a nice fork on your Viscount and ride it. They are so light for a steel frame, and very nice riding. I turned the Lambert I had into a S.S., and sold it for $120.
Old 08-28-11, 05:06 PM
r0ckh0und 

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
is it a complete bike or just a frame? if it is a 'little' big swap out the fork with a medium priced replacement, tune it up and ride it. then you will have some experience with Viscounts bikes. this is the Alloy one with the pressed BB?

you can always just wax it and resell it.

PICS??
It is a complete bike, tig welded aerospace tubing I think I read somewhere, pressed BB. I do have a chrome replacement fork for it.

Sorry, I am "pics" illiterate.................it's not letting me load any new pics for whatever reason.

Old 08-28-11, 05:13 PM
r0ckh0und 

This thing is scarry light...........It is light grey with black headtube, Shimano 333 hubs, 1st gen. Suntour Cyclone RD and sports a nice jim blackburn rear rack.

Old 08-28-11, 05:22 PM
frenchbikefan

Bikes: Miyata 110, Schwinn super le tour 12.2, Schwinn super sport, Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
none of those things are original to it, mine also is heavily modified.
Old 08-28-11, 05:31 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3116 Post(s)
Liked 6,745 Times in 3,861 Posts
Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
This thing is scarry light...........It is light grey with black headtube, Shimano 333 hubs, 1st gen. Suntour Cyclone RD and sports a nice jim blackburn rear rack.
My Aerospace Pro weighs 22.5 lbs with a replacement steel fork and sewups. The new fork weighs less than the Death Fork did. Not so scary, really.

What is so odd about the geometry?

Old 08-28-11, 07:25 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,451 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
It is a complete bike, tig welded aerospace tubing I think I read somewhere, pressed BB. I do have a chrome replacement fork for it.
No, not TIG welded but fillet brazed (or "bronze welded" in British parlance) by Trusty in England. Tubing is straight gauge chrome-moly, 0.5mm IIRC. The bottom bracket shell is unthreaded and used pressed in cartridge bearings with an untapered spindle held in place by circlips. The fork was solid cast aluminum, with a steel steer tube pinned in place to a plug on the top of the crown. This was the source of the problems with the forks -- the pin site was a stress riser and could fail without warning.
Old 08-29-11, 07:14 PM
753proguy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What size is it?
Old 08-29-11, 07:24 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 2,610 Times in 1,087 Posts
Go for choice (b) or choice (c). Use the Death Fork to roast marshmallows two at a time (use a pot holder).
Old 08-29-11, 07:45 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 638 Posts
Part it out, sell the main frame on ebay. Or get a really, really, good umbrella liability policy. Myself, I am not selling something with a known defect, even with full disclosure. If something happens, buyer will get amnesia, and it will all be back on you.

Just noticed you have a replacement fork, so install it and sell the bike. But have you noticed what gen 1 Cyclone has been going for lately?
Old 08-29-11, 08:29 PM
frenchbikefan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm looks like my gen 1 cyclone is going on Ebay tomorrow