Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

New tires question. I have a 2019 Trek checkpoint ALR5

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 03:34 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts

hi. i’m looking to replace my tires. i put on around 200km a week or so and do maybe 65% off road in the woods/trails. Looking to upgrade the stock tires that come with this bike, Bontrager GR1 COMP 700x40, (which i’ve replaced once so far). Any suggestions? i’d like to keep i’d say at the same size possibly slightly wider. i’m good to spend around 40 bucks (US $) per tire max.

Last edited by eaglesandcycling; 06-10-20 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-10-20, 07:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Thats some relatively heave use and tires are going to wear out rather quickly.
No idea what width tires you have now, but here are a couple...

WTB Resolute 42mm. I have them now and they are a great mixed use tire. They dont seem sluggish on pavement, they roll well on gravel, and I use them for flat twisty singletrack too. They are $50ish per tire on most sites, but I ordered a pair for $39/tire last fall so they can be had for within your range.

Panaracer GravelKing SK 43mm. $31-38 depending on where you look. These are heavily used around me. Ive read comments that they can pick up small rocks, no idea. Either way, its a well used tire.
Sale on Panaracer GravelKing SK 700x43c TLC Tubeless Ready Gravel Road Bike Tires
https://www.backcountry.com/panarace...BK-S700CXS35MM
Old 06-10-20, 08:09 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Thats some relatively heave use and tires are going to wear out rather quickly.
No idea what width tires you have now, but here are a couple...

WTB Resolute 42mm. I have them now and they are a great mixed use tire. They dont seem sluggish on pavement, they roll well on gravel, and I use them for flat twisty singletrack too. They are $50ish per tire on most sites, but I ordered a pair for $39/tire last fall so they can be had for within your range.

Panaracer GravelKing SK 43mm. $31-38 depending on where you look. These are heavily used around me. Ive read comments that they can pick up small rocks, no idea. Either way, its a well used tire.
Sale on Panaracer GravelKing SK 700x43c TLC Tubeless Ready Gravel Road Bike Tires
https://www.backcountry.com/panarace...BK-S700CXS35MM

Thank you for the info and links! Here are the tires i have now:
Bontrager GR1 COMP 700x40