Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Ebike Suggestions 2024

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Ebike Suggestions 2024

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-24, 09:42 AM
LuckyLyndy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ebike Suggestions 2024

I would appreciate suggestions for a first time ebike that I can transport on my light trailer hitch.I don't need an aggressive position type bike. My scenario: USA, Honda Fit, Trailer Hitch, light off road, Types of riding, light gravel roads and trails, Mickelson Trail (Black Hills),Katy Trail (Missouri), lower Wisconsin and Michigan. Nothing too challenging, fire roads.
I am 72, 210 pounds.
Something that can carry enough for water, overnight camping. rear rack, panniers, or frame bags, etc.
Local dealers are limited to central Illinois. They seem to cater to commuters. Which makes sense.
TIA!
Old 04-07-24, 12:30 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 174 Posts
Budget, budget, budget.

I'd consider a Gazelle if you can pay the freight. Beautifully made, known reliable components, belt drives, serviceable.

Example:
https://mikesbikes.com/collections/g...-c380-mid-step

I'd think a hardtail with suspension fork will handle conditions you describe. I have a gravel ebike but it's not outfitted for racks and such. It would handle the roads/less challenging trails but not cargo.

Happy shopping!
Old 04-07-24, 06:30 PM
LuckyLyndy

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Rick. That is an excellent bike, but a bit pricey for my first endeavor. I do like the mid-motor, and the belt drive.
I will be visiting friends in Salt Lake this month, and will see many different models.
Old 04-07-24, 08:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked 4,011 Times in 2,677 Posts
A +1 for Gazelle. Spend the money now and get the bike you want now, the less you spend the more you spend. A lot of people will buy a bike they are less happy with to "save" money and then end up going for the bike they want after that so they are buying two bikes but not two bikes to own at the same time like many people on this forum would do but one after the other.

Belt Drives are super low maintenance and last a long time and an Enviolo hub is even less maintenance (aside from occasionally replacing cables and housing like you would on anything) and with a Bosch motor they are extremely well supported with little you have to do so in the end. They seem a little expensive at the front end but in the back end they are low cost bikes to own. You are buying parts with good support from a brand that also has good support so you really are spending less overall.

Try and find a local shop or try one when you travel and you will be happy. If you don't have a lot of great shops near you then Bosch is your friend where a lot of shops don't have any interest in servicing bikes with random no-name motors most shops will support Bosch or can easily get support for Bosch without having a ton of knowledge so it is a good way to go.
Old 04-08-24, 11:45 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 825 Times in 624 Posts
I agree with the above and have a friend who rides her Gazelle "e" daily and loves it. The other consideration which may be valid is this is a 50 pound bike AFAICT, and you'll need a good bike rack (I recommend 1 UP).
Old 04-08-24, 10:23 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckyLyndy
I would appreciate suggestions for a first time ebike that I can transport on my light trailer hitch.I don't need an aggressive position type bike. My scenario: USA, Honda Fit, Trailer Hitch, light off road, Types of riding, light gravel roads and trails, Mickelson Trail (Black Hills),Katy Trail (Missouri), lower Wisconsin and Michigan. Nothing too challenging, fire roads.
I am 72, 210 pounds.
Something that can carry enough for water, overnight camping. rear rack, panniers, or frame bags, etc.
Local dealers are limited to central Illinois. They seem to cater to commuters. Which makes sense.
TIA!
I bought a Trek Dual Sport+ (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/dual-sport-plus/) to use to get back in shape about a year ago (I'm 64 and down 60# to 240). It's a very good bike and served its purpose. I don't know much about various eBikes that are available, but there are two general powertrains. Hub motors and crankset motors. The hub motors are cheaper, but the weight makes the bike very tail heavy and also makes fixing rear flats annoyingly difficult. I only took mine off-road once and a more evenly balanced bike would have handled better.
Old 04-10-24, 10:35 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 198 Posts
You never said what your budget is, except that Gazelles are too expensive. (understandable; they're a nice Dutch brand)
Also, what's the story on your trailer hitch? How much weight can it handle and how big is the square?

I will recommend the Ride1Up Portola. With this bike and a Honda Fit, the trailer hitch is optional; you just fold it up, put it in a big Rubbermaid tote and slide it into your hatch. (if you can lift 60 lbs or so) I have an ongoing review thread on the bike here:
https://ebikesforum.com/threads/ride...a-thread.5915/

Even if you won't be lifting it, you might find the folding aspect to be nice when it's time for winter storage: just fold it up, remove the battery to inside your house and stick it in a corner of the garage or basement.

Aventon makes quality eBikes these days. Their Pace 500 model might fit the bill. They have local dealers but are not priced like Treks. Not quite the same quality, but I don't think you'll be disappointed, either.

You seem to be in central IL. I'm in SE WI. If you want to make a road trip up here, I'll offer you test rides on my fleet of eBikes:
  • Ride1Up Portola: 60 lb, multi-gear folder
  • Lectric XP Lite: 45 lb, single gear folder
  • Juiced HyperScrambler 2: 120 lb. eMoped
  • Electra Townie GO! 7D: 55 lb. beach cruiser
  • Aventon Level.2: 70 lb. commuter
eBikes weighing under 40 lbs are quite rare. The average seems to be 50-70 lbs.

We'll ride downtown and get coffee or something. Drop me a line by personal message if interested.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 04-11-24, 10:38 PM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
I’m taking a very good look at the Gazelle Eclipse Ultimate C380+, it’s got most of what I’m looking for, price is on the higher side but doable. Haven’t decided whether to go with the chain or belt for here in Colorado.

Last edited by Climb14er; 04-11-24 at 11:05 PM.
Likes For Climb14er:
Old 04-12-24, 10:14 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Climb14er
I’m taking a very good look at the Gazelle Eclipse Ultimate C380+, it’s got most of what I’m looking for, price is on the higher side but doable. Haven’t decided whether to go with the chain or belt for here in Colorado.
If you are looking at the C380 it will be belt and if you are going IGH not having a belt is a non-starter for me. I don't care if the rest of the bike was exactly how I would spec it down to the T if it wasn't belt drive I would pass. There is no real benefit to a chain on an IGH e-bike. It is basically zero maintenance and easy enough to get these days. I will say if you are touring long distances more off grid it might make some sense to have a chain but I can pretty easily carry an extra belt and it weighs very little and if it wears much slower than a chain I really don't have to worry too much.

I think you will enjoy the bike.
Old 04-13-24, 09:58 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
it's all about budget. an ebike in the 1500 range is about the bare minimum sorry to say. The "best cheap" off AMZN will just disappoint you.

The Gazelle as mentioned, or the Tern in various models, are very good choices and the Bosch motor / BMS are well supported.

one of the problems with the low end bikes is that if the electronics fail, they are not easily repairable.

Pro tip: You don't need to strain your back lifting your ebike onto a rear rack. Lock the rear wheel with the brake, pop a "wheelie" and put the front wheel into the tray, then lift the rear of the bike onto the rack. much easier.

/markp
Old 04-13-24, 02:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

[QUOTE=mpetry912;23213541

Pro tip: You don't need to strain your back lifting your ebike onto a rear rack. Lock the rear wheel with the brake, pop a "wheelie" and put the front wheel into the tray, then lift the rear of the bike onto the rack. much easier.

/markp[/QUOTE]

You don't have to even strain for anything, just get a Thule EasyFold or their new one or the Yakima or Küat rack with the ramp and just use the walk assist feature which most of the quality e-bikes have. The EasyFold ramp just makes it super duper easy or if you want it even easier Saris makes the Door Country which is an electric lift rack for your hitch but honestly I haven't played with one yet so I cannot recommend it from seeing it or using it but knowing Saris racks are cheap but generally pretty decent and if nothing else had good customer service (though it has been a while since I have had to reach out to them)
Old 04-20-24, 06:17 AM
YankeeRider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Check out the Ride1Up Prodigy V2 - it has components like you'd normally find on bikes that are twice the price - Brose mid-drive motor with torque sensor, air-spring suspension fork, 4-piston hydraulic brakes, and options for Gates belt drive and Enviolo CVT shifting. Plus for an e-bike with kickstand, lights, suspension fork, fenders and rear rack, it's pretty light at 58-61lb.

https://ride1up.com/product/prodigy-v2/

Last edited by YankeeRider; 04-20-24 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-25-24, 06:22 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 453 Posts
Lectric XPress e-bike launched as $999 torque sensor commuter electric bike

https://electrek.co/2024/04/16/lectr...electric-bike/

Here are the best electric bikes you can buy at every price level in April 2024

https://electrek.co/2024/04/08/here-...y-price-level/
Old 04-25-24, 03:06 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020

Here are the best electric bikes you can buy at every price level in April 2024

https://electrek.co/2024/04/08/here-...y-price-level/
From your article, Ride1Up CF Racer 1 looks like lots of bike for the money, and sub-30 pounds too if the spec is correct. I "can't even" with those 90+ pounders.