Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ultegra Crankset Info Search Fail

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-18, 11:33 AM
LKA 

Bikes: '17-Haanjo Trail '09-H-a-o-l-e '88-712

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All,

Sorry to present such a mundane question, but I could not find an answer from Google, the Shimano tech doc site, or a search here.

I am looking at possibly purchasing the Ultegra FC-6600A crankset for my H-a-o-l-e, and I found that two types were made: an FC-6600 and an FC-6600A. Other than different part #s, I can find no other information whatsoever that even hints at what the difference[s] might be. Given the depth of the search I made, I realize that it's quite possible that no one knows the answer, but I thought I'd give it a try here anyway.

Here is a link to the Shimano tech doc:
EV-FC-6600-2365E.pdf

Thanks in advance for your time.
Old 03-09-18, 11:50 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I checked Shimano's dealer manual and also found no explanation. The only differing part numbers seem to be the left side crank arms and all lengths (165 to 175 mm) have two different parts, one for the FC-6600 and one for the FC-6600A, but no way to tell what the differences are from the picture. All the other parts are identical.

You might call Shimano USA and see if anyone there knows.
Old 03-09-18, 11:51 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the differences. There was likely a small design revision that Shimano incorporated, so I'd guess the 6600a is newer.

In general xx03 models are "triples".

I'm also seeing a 6604 crankset that looks like it may be painted in darker colors, and may be a newer release.
Old 03-09-18, 11:54 AM
CliffordK

Oh, one thought.

When did Shimano release the SG-A chainrings? Could that be related?
Old 03-09-18, 12:02 PM
LKA 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Oh, one thought.

When did Shimano release the SG-A chainrings? Could that be related?
Haha, I was thinking the same thing. That whole A-type, B-type chainring nonsense still makes my head hurt. But I couldn't find even a hint as to whether that was the case. Learning the differences between MegaExo & Hollowtech II was already pushing me to the edge, LOL.

Thanks to all for your input. The part's aren't ridiculous expensive so I think I'll just go for it. And all this because I want to pre-empt a MegaExo/FSA SLK failure.
Old 03-09-18, 04:14 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Maybe the 6600A was the Ice Grey colored crank?
Old 03-09-18, 04:31 PM
desertdork
just pokin' along

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just took a look in a box of parts and there's a NOS Ultegra crank which happens to be FC-6600A. The only reference the accompanying instructions makes regarding the "A" designation is to make sure you don't try to mismatch the arms; e.g., don't try to mix a 6600 right arm with a 6600A left arm. I don't know but suspect it probably has to do with the pattern of the splines or the orientation of the "key." The chainrings are "B-type" which I believe is Shimano's standard 53/39 double, whereas "A-type" rings mate with a 42 inner.
Old 03-09-18, 04:33 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by LKA
Haha, I was thinking the same thing. That whole A-type, B-type chainring nonsense still makes my head hurt. But I couldn't find even a hint as to whether that was the case. Learning the differences between MegaExo & Hollowtech II was already pushing me to the edge, LOL.

Thanks to all for your input. The part's aren't ridiculous expensive so I think I'll just go for it. And all this because I want to pre-empt a MegaExo/FSA SLK failure.
SG-A, SG-B, and SG-D isn't quite "nonsense".

The idea was to match small and big rings for better shifting.

I think the problem is that Shimano never expanded it enough to really offer a full range of sprockets.

And, now, everything has shifted as they've added more gears on the rear, although I'm still not convinced front sprockets needed to be changed that much.

And, of course, they've failed to continue to support the products, so about the time a chainring might wear out, Shimano discontinued selling spares.

I like the possible color distinction above as a difference between 6600, 6600a, and 6604. I'm not sure I have any of those cranks... I like the 6500 series
Old 03-09-18, 04:41 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by desertdork
I just took a look in a box of parts and there's a NOS Ultegra crank which happens to be FC-6600A. The only reference the accompanying instructions makes regarding the "A" designation is to make sure you don't try to mismatch the arms; e.g., don't try to mix a 6600 right arm with a 6600A left arm. I don't know but suspect it probably has to do with the pattern of the splines or the orientation of the "key." The chainrings are "B-type" which I believe is Shimano's standard 53/39 double, whereas "A-type" rings mate with a 42 inner.
IIRC Shimano made a change in the 5600/6600/7800 left side crank arm mounting to include the ‘key’ on the NDS crank arm mount to prevent that arm from loosening and coming off if not properly tightened. Perhaps that’s the A model designation.
Old 03-09-18, 04:50 PM
desertdork
just pokin' along

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ultegra SL was the "ice grey" version. FC-6601-G was the double, and FC-6604-G was the triple.
Old 03-09-18, 05:08 PM
LKA 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
SG-A, SG-B, and SG-D isn't quite "nonsense"....
As a newb poster, I must remind myself that how one words their thoughts here [@bikeforums.net] is under as much scrutiny as the topic. I apologize for making light of a not-so-insignificant technical issue as chainring compatibility, because indeed, you are spot-on.

When I wrote that comment, I was thinking about components in general...that there's just too many darned bike parts to keep straight in the head. I was content just thinking about square-taper BBs for the past 29 yrs; and now that I've gotten back into cycling, parts [all parts, not just BBs] & their variants have proliferated beyond any concept of variety I could ever have imagined.

FWIW: I am so over bottom brackets. Now those with eidetic memory will LMK that bike part proliferation is merely my problem, LOL. <sigh>

G'day & thanks for the input. I'm beginning to like bikeforums.net.

Last edited by LKA; 03-09-18 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-09-18, 05:12 PM
CliffordK

I will agree that the proliferation of incompatible parts is an issue for the bike industry in general, and potentially one of the issues that is harming the LBS model.