Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Beginner - Really need some help!

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-14, 07:20 PM
PaulGauger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

Looking at purchasing a hybrid bike to use around town and also on paved paths. Nothing off road.

I have a new questions and need bike suggestions...

1. How should the bike "fit?" Like, how much should I leaning down toward the handle bars, should my legs be completely extended when pedaling, etc? The guy at my bike store said the 22.5 Trek "looked fine." I am 6'1 with moderate length legs and arms, nothing too long or too short.

2. Bike suggestions... I am looking spend less than $800. The few I have looked at are...

Trek 7.2 FX Disc
Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc
Cannondale Bad Boy 9

I initially wanted the 2014 Trek 7.2 FX Disc, because the Matte Black looked awesome, but apparently the entire country is sold out, according to my bike shop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

PG
Old 08-06-14, 07:57 PM
pepsiblue

Bikes: 2010 Trek Marlin, 2012 Trek 7.5fx, 2007 Trek Pilot 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cant help with all your questions, but this is what I can say. I have the Trek 7.5, and love it. I like the looks of the Cannondale BB, and the flat black models of the Sirrus. And, my local bike shop has the flat black 7.2's on the floor. Let me know and Ill send you the contact info.
Old 08-07-14, 10:39 AM
PaulGauger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

What is your local shop called and where is it? I see you're in Kentucky. I'm in Indiana, so might be worth the drive.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-14, 10:48 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
A good first starting point for seat height is to sit on the bike, either on a trainer stand or while coasting, and put your heel on a pedal with the pedal at the bottom of the rotation.

If your heel just touches the pedal, then you'll have a reasonable amount of bent leg when you pedal on the ball of your foot. Then try small adjustments from there if needed.
Old 08-07-14, 02:18 PM
desertdork
just pokin' along

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The 22.5" frame sounds right for your height. At ~2" shorter than you, my 20" FX fit me. I did watch someone who is 6'1" ride my FX. He thought it fit fine, but he was a bit cramped to me eye.

Yes, your leg should be extended at the bottom of the rotation. The heel of your shoe should just rest on the pedal with your knee straightened. You don't ride in this manner, but it's a common means to determine saddle height.

Like other modern hybrids, the FX has a tall headtube, so the riding position is fairly upright. Not beachcruiser upright,...you're still leaning forward. A longer, inverted stem can get you a little lower yet, but your back won't be flat like a road racer's "drop" position.

FWIW, some people complain of maintenance issues ("glossy" stains, chipping,..) of matte clear coat. I don't blame you for wanting to get a bike that is aesthetically pleasing, but you might want to check into this if concerned.
Old 08-07-14, 02:46 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulGauger
I have a new questions and need bike suggestions...

1. How should the bike "fit?" Like, how much should I leaning down toward the handle bars, should my legs be completely extended when pedaling, etc? The guy at my bike store said the 22.5 Trek "looked fine." I am 6'1 with moderate length legs and arms, nothing too long or too short.

2. Bike suggestions... I am looking spend less than $800.
The shop that sells the bikes you've listed can answer all your questions. They will put you on the correct size bike and they will take care of "bike fit".
There are several choices in your price range.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-07-14, 03:19 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Check out Giant Escape 1 ($700). If you like black, then you might like the metallic color of this bike. I think the angles fit a taller rider well. All the bikes you have selected are nice. Also, I think the bikes you've selected have spacers on the stem that allow you to adjust the handlebar height.
Old 08-07-14, 05:57 PM
mcrow
Pedal Pusher/Pundit

Bikes: Motobecane Jubilee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
22.5" sounds about right for most guys your height. Might vary between 20-22" depending on frame geometry. When you sit on the bike with your heal on the pedal and leg straight it should be about the right seat height, that will mean with your foot in regular pedaling position that your should have a slight bend in the knee. Stand over height doesn't matter as much unless you are talking about mountain biking where you might come off the bike hard, frequently and down want squash your jibblets.

However, it is a good idea to have some pace betwen your jibblets and the bar just for comfort's sake, IMO. You just need less if you are not mountain biking.

It also makes a difference how long your arms, legs and torso are. For me, I'm about the bottom end height for recomended "medium" sized bikes (18" or so) but I have short arms so riding mediums almost always endup with me leaning too far forward and they are uncomfortable. So, while my height might say I should be OK on an 18" I end up getting a 16" (for most frames) and they fit great.

As for the bike to get:

There are tons of good ones for what you are looknig for in your price range so I'd just go to as many shops as you can and test ride as many that look like what you want and see which you like best.
Old 08-08-14, 11:07 AM
pepsiblue

Bikes: 2010 Trek Marlin, 2012 Trek 7.5fx, 2007 Trek Pilot 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a link to the Facebook page. Ask for Mike Borger!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Outdo...70029859692655

Originally Posted by PaulGauger
Thanks!

What is your local shop called and where is it? I see you're in Kentucky. I'm in Indiana, so might be worth the drive.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-14, 11:21 AM
MissDaisy

Bikes: Salsa Vaya 2; Giant Anthem X4; Trek FX 7.2; Giant Escape 3; Giant Simple Single cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My SO is your height and the 22.5 inch 7.2 fits him well.
Old 08-10-14, 12:33 AM
Frizlefrak

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2 & Motobecane 529HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a matte black Trek FX 7.2 and love the look of the bike. So far, no issues with keeping it looking good....I just wipe it off with a damp cloth and it looks great.