Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Going to try out a Brooks Saddle, which one to start out with?

Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 04:30 PM
Flounce

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a relative newb to randonneuring, only having done 200km rides and my longest solo ride to date being around 140 mi / 225 km, but I am training / preparing for longer brevets leading up to 2019 PBP.

I KNOW THAT everyone's bum/rear is unique and that a saddle must be tried out to know how well it works with my bum. No one can predict what saddle will be a good fit for me.

I went through a saddle demo program previously (only racing type saddles, no Brooks) and found the saddle that worked best for me is the Sella SMP Glider, that is 136mm wide x 266 mm long. I tried various saddles wider and more narrow that the Glider. The Sella SMP Glider was the best of the bunch. I've since found that works OK for me, but its still makes my bum sore after 130 miles, and once in a while ( not commonly) I do get some numbness down there which I really want to avoid.

I'd like to try a Brooks saddle because of all the positive reviews among long distance cyclists.

So having said that, my question is: in trying out the Brooks Saddles available to me through REI (1 year return policy), where should I start? Should I start with those Saddles closest in width to my current saddle (136mm), e.g. Cambium C15 (width 140mm) and Cambium C13 (width 132mm)? Or should I start with a B17 that is much wider than my current saddle.

I got a B17 Imperial sitting on my counter, but just thought about this and wanted to see if it would be wiser to start my trial with a saddle closer to my current saddle dimensions.
Old 09-12-16, 07:57 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 85 Posts
I don't think the order in which you try them matters very much. How well a given saddle works for a person is an isolated experiment and is not affected by the saddle you had been using previously.
Old 09-12-16, 08:11 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
If your bars are above your saddle, try the B77. If they're below the saddle, try a Team Pro or Cambium. You can add a cutout or laces at a later date of you're a little bit handy with an exacto knife.

They take a long time to break-in. Riding in the rain will accelerate the break-in process if necessary. Use Proofide on the saddle after breaking it in to protect it from rain.
Old 09-12-16, 08:46 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
My Raleigh Sojourn came with a Brooks pre-aged B17, and that saddle was comfortable from the get-go, so take that wording about breaking in with a grain of salt. And that's the model I'd recommend, just because it worked for me, not because I tried them all or anything.
Old 09-12-16, 09:49 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
My Raleigh Sojourn came with a Brooks pre-aged B17, and that saddle was comfortable from the get-go, so take that wording about breaking in with a grain of salt. And that's the model I'd recommend, just because it worked for me, not because I tried them all or anything.
+1 IME, if a leather saddle isn't comfortable from the start, no amount of "breaking in" will help. If it fits you'll know it right away.

SP
OC, OR
Old 09-12-16, 10:01 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I have a B17 that I think fits very well. It is wider than conventional (modern) saddles that I like, so I don't think that should put you off. If you already have it, what have you got to lose? Then if you try a narrower version, you will be able to judge whether it is an improvement.
Old 09-13-16, 07:15 AM
Flounce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, all.

I'll try the B17 Imperial I just bought and see how it goes.
Old 09-13-16, 07:38 AM
seajaye

Bikes: 650b traditional rando, 700c SS rando, 700c fast rando..... plus a mountain, folder, and retired urban track in the basement

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wanted to throw in that you'll want to play around with saddle tilt. Assuming close to zero saddle-bar drop, most leather saddles fit best tilted slightly upwards. But don't be afraid to experiment to find what works for you.
Old 09-13-16, 07:52 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by seajaye
I just wanted to throw in that you'll want to play around with saddle tilt. Assuming close to zero saddle-bar drop, most leather saddles fit best tilted slightly upwards. But don't be afraid to experiment to find what works for you.
I find that tilt angle to be very obvious. If the nose is too high, well, you're gonna feel it in the front . If the nose is too low, you'll find yourself sliding forward. There's a happy medium in the middle.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-13-16, 09:18 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2612 Post(s)
Liked 1,956 Times in 1,226 Posts
One more vote for the B17 to start with. You'll want the wider width, since Brooks saddles have some unusable width at the rivets on the outside. You want to be suspended between those instead of sitting on them!
Old 09-13-16, 09:05 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I'd go with the Select version of a Brooks saddle. I have a couple of newer B17 saddles and both got stretchy and sagged very fast and needed to be laced in less than a year of use. A saggy Brooks won't support you properly, resulting in numbness and saddle sores.
Old 09-18-16, 07:51 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3472 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,151 Posts
B17 or Flyer (Flyer is essentially a sprung B17) is very popular for touring, but I prefer a Conquest (essentially a sprung Pro) because it is a bit narrower and less flat. I have one Pro and four Conquests on the five bikes that I regularly use. (And a non-leather saddle on my errand bike.)

But if I am sitting more upright, I can use a B17 or Flyer. My B17 is on my indoor trainer bike where I sit upright to watch TV or read the news on a tablet. When I go mountain biking where I sit more upright I use a Flyer. But I find these saddles are not very comfortable when I am using drop bars and leaning more forward. But everyone is different.
Old 09-18-16, 03:16 PM
alois

Bikes: Avaghon series 28; Fuji Touring 2016; Santos Travelmaster 2.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I myself am quite content with a Brooks Colt, not yet mentioned in this thread. Main difference with the other Brookses is the down sloping front of the saddle. The Colt I have was already broken in (by my father, who bought it 30 years ago) which is good because the leather is very thick and rigid.
Old 09-18-16, 10:25 PM
vwchad

Bikes: 2013 Focus Izalco Pro, Soma Grand Randonneur

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loved my B17 right out of the box, but the width didn't agree with me and caused some chaffing for longer rides (over 80 miles or so). I've since swapped it out for a Brooks Professional. I'm comfortable on both really, but the professional is better on long rides. However, everyone is different and the opinion of your backside may vary.
Old 09-21-16, 03:49 AM
Ride-Fly

Bikes: Colnago Mix, Dean El Diente Ti S&S, Lynskey Cooper CX Disc Ti S&S, Mondonico Futura Legerro, DeRosa Primato, Tommaisini Tecno, Ciöcc Mokva80, Colnago Classic, Brompton M6L, Bob Jackson Audax End-E

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got to echo the sentiment regarding the B17. I have it on my Brompton and it has been super comfy from the start. I also have a Swift on another steel roadie and it still isn't comfortable. But I don't ride it that often, so par for the course.

I have a Team Pro ready to go on my next bike (audax/rando style) and I'm curious to see how I like it. Hope it is as comfy as the B17.

To the OP- I think you'll love the B17 Imperial. Even without the cutout, the normal B17 is by far the most comfy saddle I've ever sat on.
Old 09-21-16, 01:02 PM
thebulls

Bikes: SOMA Grand Randonneur, Gunnar Sport converted to 650B, Rivendell Rambouillet, '82 Trek 728, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 500, C'Dale F600, Burley Duet, Lotus Legend

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flounce
I am a relative newb to randonneuring, only having done 200km rides and my longest solo ride to date being around 140 mi / 225 km, but I am training / preparing for longer brevets leading up to 2019 PBP.

I KNOW THAT everyone's bum/rear is unique and that a saddle must be tried out to know how well it works with my bum. No one can predict what saddle will be a good fit for me.

I went through a saddle demo program previously (only racing type saddles, no Brooks) and found the saddle that worked best for me is the Sella SMP Glider, that is 136mm wide x 266 mm long. I tried various saddles wider and more narrow that the Glider. The Sella SMP Glider was the best of the bunch. I've since found that works OK for me, but its still makes my bum sore after 130 miles, and once in a while ( not commonly) I do get some numbness down there which I really want to avoid.

I'd like to try a Brooks saddle because of all the positive reviews among long distance cyclists.

So having said that, my question is: in trying out the Brooks Saddles available to me through REI (1 year return policy), where should I start? Should I start with those Saddles closest in width to my current saddle (136mm), e.g. Cambium C15 (width 140mm) and Cambium C13 (width 132mm)? Or should I start with a B17 that is much wider than my current saddle.

I got a B17 Imperial sitting on my counter, but just thought about this and wanted to see if it would be wiser to start my trial with a saddle closer to my current saddle dimensions.
FYI, a ton of randonneurs ride on Selle-Anatomica saddles. Main reason for me and many others: Impossible to get the Brooks set back far enough (even on a long setback seatpost like a Nitto S83). The last Brooks I rode on a brevet was a Flyer (sprung B17) on a 600km in 2006. At the end, my butt was black and blue from the pounding I got from the frame under the back of the saddle. S-A saddles have longer rails and therefore can be set back further.

As to seat angle, take a look at Peter White's article on Bike Fitting. In essence, with the bike properly fitted, the right angle is perfectly neutral between sliding forward and sliding backward when you take your hands off the bars:
How to Fit a Bicycle

Nick
Old 09-21-16, 01:26 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Brooks Cambium C17 Carved .... 100% waterproof, comfortable out of the box and also looks good .... I've had a few leather Brooks, but the C17 Cambium carved is the best .... it's designed for long rides, and you dont even need padding/bibs.... and it comes with a 10 year guarantee if you register the serial number on the Brooks website

If you are adamant on having a leather saddle, get a Gilles Berthoud Aravis .... I have one on my Surly Long Haul Trucker

Old 09-22-16, 08:43 AM
Flounce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone.

Since I already bought the B17 carved (Imperial), I will try that first, and if it doesn't work out, I may try a carved Cambium with width determined by my experience with the B17. I really appreciate all the input.

I just need to find the time to ride more now. The mind and body are willing but the work schedule (and 4 young children) are not!
Old 09-22-16, 02:34 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Flounce
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone.

Since I already bought the B17 carved (Imperial), I will try that first, and if it doesn't work out, I may try a carved Cambium with width determined by my experience with the B17. I really appreciate all the input.

I just need to find the time to ride more now. The mind and body are willing but the work schedule (and 4 young children) are not!
Quit dicking around and try it already!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-29-16, 02:45 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm a long-time Brooks high-mileage rider and right now have a B17 Select on one bike and a B17 Special on the other.
The Select is worth the price because its stretch life will more than pay for itself compared to the lower grade Brooks, including the Special.
I'm also 6'3", 200 lbs.
Old 11-03-16, 11:02 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
If your bars are above your saddle, try the B17. If they're below the saddle, try a Team Pro or Cambium.
(I corrected B77 to B17, and I assume you mean the relatively wide B17 Champion Standard, rather than the B17 Champion Narrow, which is narrower than the Professional.) This is, I think, the most important point. If you want the theory behind it, the "sit bones" (ischial tuberosity) are curved semicircles, rather like an exaggerated version of the rockers of a rocking chair, but backwards. If you tip your pelvis forward, the lowest point on the sit bones is fairly close together; as you straighten your back, and your pelvis rotates backward, a more widely spaced part of the sit bones comes to bear.

Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
You can add a cutout or laces at a later date of you're a little bit handy with an exacto knife.
This is true, but either of these things changes the structure of the saddle pretty radically, and is not necessarily a good idea. Lest we digress, let's discuss it elsewhere if anyone is interested.

Originally Posted by thebulls
FYI, a ton of randonneurs ride on Selle-Anatomica saddles. Main reason for me and many others: Impossible to get the Brooks set back far enough (even on a long setback seatpost like a Nitto S83).
The steel frame, on which the B.17 "Champion Standard" and B.17 "Champion Narrow" and related saddles are based, has not changed in shape since 1950 (and even then, the main change was in the nose hardware). The Professional uses a slightly redesigned frame that dates to the late 50's. Since that time, bicycle frames have changed, but Brooks saddle frames have not. Brooks saddles were built for bicycles with a more relaxed seat tube angle than is fashionable today.

To give you more setback, the clamping area on the rails would have to extend farther forward, and this would necessarily make the front part of the saddle wider, which would change the shape of the saddle. I don't think that would be such a bad thing, but evidently Brooks doesn't want to do it.

Anyway, I realize Brooks saddles are not for everyone. I like them; but I ride older frames, that they tend to fit pretty well.