Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

need advice finding a used hybrid bike ($100-$150) in New York city

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-12, 01:30 PM
techman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I'm home on the west coast, I'm car-free. But on occasion I'm in NYC for at least to week - as my parent are eldery and
need more of my help. I'd like to buy a used hybrid bicycle in Long Island (to keep there) to avoid weight gain (all the great NY food) and keep my energy and fitness
up. I don't want to spend $400+ on a new hybrid bicycle. I'd like to find something used. Craigslist is just not practical.
Not enough selection when I'm in town. Can anyone recommend a better strategy in finding a decent quality hybrid bicycle for around $100-$150?
Thanks
Old 06-02-12, 08:26 AM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on how long you're willing to wait. Around the end of the Summer Bike N Roll has been known to sell off some of their rental bikes (Trek) for $150 or so. Trek also makes an entry level hybrid that goes for about $225 new. You might be able to get one cheaper in August when they go on sale.

If you want something sooner I'd keep plugging away at Craigslist. There are several individuals with a stable of used bikes who regularly post there and occasional deals do come up especially if you're willing to consider a vintage bike. You just have to keep looking.

Of course the other option would be to post a "Bike Wanted" listing on Craigslist stating your price and what you're looking for. The only downside is that you may encourage thieves to steal one to fit your needs.
Old 06-04-12, 10:56 PM
pocky

Bikes: '00 Kona Yee Ha, '83 Schwinn World (fix), '96 KHS Montana Descent (w/ RS XC-32), '05 Fort Ro.SLC (totaled), '01 Burley Rumba tandem, '15 Mattioli R1, '14 Nashbar Big Ol' Fat Bike, '96 Fuji Marlboro folder (drops), '04 Jamis Satellite, '04 Giant TCX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd suggest trying community bike co-op shops such as Recycle-A-Bicycle .

Also, I'm not sure why Long Island Craigslist doesn't seem practical to you. A quick search just revealed this new-looking hybrid for $75, which is probably exactly what you're looking for:
https://longisland.craigslist.org/bik/3056659653.html
I also found a number of good-quality rigid mountain bikes within close driving distance of where my parents live (not sure where yours are).
Old 06-05-12, 06:21 AM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
https://longisland.craigslist.org/bik/3048437802.html

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang