Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Any trails near Dr. Phillips (Central FL)?

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10, 08:48 PM
Redeemed07
Clydetastic Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've checked all the places I know of and can't find any but I'm also not familiar with the area. Taking a friend biking and she lives in that area. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Old 05-08-10, 07:28 AM
Porter20

Bikes: Trek Madone 6.9; Madone 5.1; Trek 6500 & Trek 1500

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
There are not really any trails of sorts in the Dr. P area. I would suggest heading to the West Orange Trail which is a little north & a little west of there. The easiest way there is take the Turnpike North to the second 50 exit & the trail head is right there. You can get there through non-toll roads; just go a little west of Oakland. It is a nice trail with water & bathroom stops & you will see lots of others on the trail with you.

There is suppose to be an offroad trail off I-Drive south of the Sea World; but I have never ridden on it so I really can't reccommend it; but it will be closer to you.
Old 05-08-10, 07:36 AM
Porter20

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
There are not really any trails of sorts in the Dr. P area. I would suggest heading to the West Orange Trail which is a little north & a little west of there. The easiest way there is take the Turnpike North to the second 50 exit & the trail head is right there. You can get there through non-toll roads; just go a little west of Oakland. It is a nice trail with water & bathroom stops & you will see lots of others on the trail with you.

There is suppose to be an offroad trail off I-Drive south of the Sea World; but I have never ridden on it so I really can't reccommend it; but it will be closer to you.
Old 05-08-10, 06:27 PM
Redeemed07
Clydetastic Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I ride the WOT in the Apopka stretch and it's very nice (except for a rough neighborhood). I was hoping to find one closed to my friend as I'm not sure she can transport the bike she'll be borrowing but if the WOT is the closest then that will work! Thanks!
Old 05-09-10, 03:32 AM
France
Armstrong

Bikes: Ridley Noah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use the bicycle mode on Google map. Just enter your address to any destination and notice all the trails represented by Green lines.
Old 05-16-10, 08:17 PM
Porter20

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Redeemed07 - Just a thought, they do have a bicycle rental shack (west of Oakland). Not sure of the rates, but that might be an option to at least try it out. I get the feeling that it is much better neighborhoods at the west end of the trail then what I have heard of from the Apoka side.
Old 05-17-10, 04:42 AM
sci_femme

Bikes: cyclotank

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the rental shack WOT goes west into downtown Clermont and the lake. About 8 miles of gentle hills, ride around the lake in early morning...All combined, WOT and South Lake trail gives about 60 mi RT.

Have fun!!

SF
Old 05-20-10, 10:49 PM
SpoonyGSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
West Orange Trail, like most people are saying, i took the trip down there last weekend and did 46 miles.. i entered the trail after the rough spot in Apopka. (My mother rode through the rough spot, and she said there were numerous unfavorable people standing in the middle of the trail yelling and throwing stuff at riders) I rode it all the way down to Lake Minelola (sp).

Its a great trail, there are stations set up where you can fill up your water, and your tires with air, there are bike shops, and places to eat.. going throught the town section.. watch out for cars, they dont seem to see any of us.

Also when you get to the kilarney (sp) station, going to the Lake, the hills there are pretty big.. for Florida.. My GPS recorded 300 ft of elevation changes, which doesnt sound like much, but they were kinda rough for me (i usually ride on very flat trails and roads.)
Old 02-16-13, 09:38 AM
BlakeRoby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walking/Jogging trails

While there are not many biking trails in the area, there are plenty of walking and jogging trails. Parkside of Dr Phillips is a new community that will offer plenty of these types of trails. With Dr Phillips Community Park just behind the community, there are plenty more trails, both paved and dirt.

Originally Posted by Redeemed07
I've checked all the places I know of and can't find any but I'm also not familiar with the area. Taking a friend biking and she lives in that area. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Old 04-10-13, 01:47 AM
TrailViewMount

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.2 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I learned early on to research the trails before riding. I never want to be a casualty.