Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Expansion of Withlachochee Trail

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Old 11-19-13, 06:56 AM
Lindaosm

Bikes: Trek 7100 WSD & Trek Skye SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wasn't sure if anyone saw this or not but thought I'd post. It was in our Ocala paper. The route is different than what I had expected. Looking forward to seeing this finished. Haven't been posting much but have been riding but mostly on weekends. Hubby broke his second frame on his mtn bike and now has a new Trek he's getting used to. He's riding a lot at Santos.
https://www.ocala.com/article/2013111...31119740?tc=cr
Old 11-19-13, 03:21 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Lindaosm
Wasn't sure if anyone saw this or not but thought I'd post. It was in our Ocala paper. The route is different than what I had expected. Looking forward to seeing this finished. Haven't been posting much but have been riding but mostly on weekends. Hubby broke his second frame on his mtn bike and now has a new Trek he's getting used to. He's riding a lot at Santos.
https://www.ocala.com/article/2013111...31119740?tc=cr
Tht's awesome! I was just up in Dunellon a couple weeks ago. Great area up there.
Old 11-19-13, 07:31 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was checking that out yesterday.... Trying to figure out the route of the trail... I'm not really that familiar with the area so it took me awhile. Looks like it will be a really cool segment of trail when its finished...
Old 11-20-13, 07:46 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I was talking with Grant at Blue Run Bicycles about this a few months ago. As the article states, the extension will be nowhere near the actual Withlacoochee Trail. Too bad. It would be nice to ride the trail all the way into downtown Dunnellon.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-21-13, 09:27 AM
Lindaosm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
I was talking with Grant at Blue Run Bicycles about this a few months ago. As the article states, the extension will be nowhere near the actual Withlacoochee Trail. Too bad. It would be nice to ride the trail all the way into downtown Dunnellon.
I'm a little disappointed as well as it seems like to get to the north end you to come off of the trail and get onto a very busy road to get to the other side to cross the river. Interested to see what the exact route will be.
Old 01-27-14, 02:53 PM
TrailViewMount

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.2 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was supposed to get a behind the scenes tour of the new extension from someone at the Greenways and Trails office in Crystal River the last part of 2013, but I believe he must have forgotten about me. My plan was to get as many pictures and video to share on my website to let others know about it.
Old 01-29-14, 08:28 AM
TrailViewMount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just received a map of the new extension for the Withlacoochee State Trail in Dunnellon. Completion date is scheduled for sometime in March 2014. Extension roughly 1.5 miles long with a bridge over the Withlacoochee River. See if this link works for photo of map: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 01-29-14, 09:35 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Cilla and I went to the Blue Run park last week on a "too cold to ride" type of day. At the junction of the Pool trail and the main trail we saw the new paved bike trail. So we decided to walk it. We were able to get to the bridge on the Dunnellon side. It will be quite lovely. The deck is almost done. In talking to a worker who said they were pulling out in another month. The first layer of pavement has been done. They just need to finish the ramps on both side of the bridge and do the final pavement. We walked the rest of the trail on the Dunnellon side. It was a little over 1.5 miles from the bridge to the trail head at the Dunnellon ball field complex. The road from the ball field to 441 (Pen Ave) is not the best shape for a road bike. 441 into Dunnellon would NOT be a road I would ride on either would 41 from the Citrus Spring side to E. Martenilli Road (entry point to the northern trail head for the Withlachochee (Gulf Junction). Total mileage for the new section is 3 miles. btw, it's not entirely FLAT. But EVERY scenic. Can't wait until it's officially opened.
Old 02-03-14, 02:49 PM
TrailViewMount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DowneasTTer how did you find info about where you accessed the trail? I'm just curious. Also I would love to make an early visit to the extension ahead of the opening, but it is too far to drive from Sarasota. I'll wait until it's officially open.
Old 02-23-14, 01:33 PM
Lindaosm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's an update in today's Ocala Star Banner. Hubby and I were out there last weekend. Barricades were still up so we didn't ride. Looks like it will be opening soon. Looking forward to riding this section soon.

https://www.ocala.com/article/2014022...40229889?tc=cr
Old 02-23-14, 01:56 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Originally Posted by TrailViewMount
DowneasTTer how did you find info about where you accessed the trail? I'm just curious. Also I would love to make an early visit to the extension ahead of the opening, but it is too far to drive from Sarasota. I'll wait until it's officially open.
We kind of found it by accident. We were hiking in Blue Run Park off Pen Ave in Dunnellon and found the trail. We walked the trail to the bridge and back to the new trail head near the sports complex. A worker told us that there are plans for a rest room at that trail head but we didn't see any work going on there. Yesterday we picked up our new bikes and ran into a couple of guys that had ridden from the sports complex to the bridge even though it isn't opened. The final pavement is going down so it should be a matter of a couple of weeks until done. Realize it is only 3 miles long with really the only way to get main trail is riding on busy RT 41 (not in the cards for me).
Old 02-23-14, 02:55 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
You can access the north end of the trail just east of Dunnellon. Take Pennsylvania Ave (the main east-west road) to San Jose Blvd. There's a sign there for the baseball fields. Turn right and go south less than 1/2 mile. They're still paving so park where you can and walk the trail. Might be best to do this on the weekend when they're not working.

Grant said some of the locals know of a way to get from Citrus Springs Blvd and cross US41 and go east a short way and wind around thru neighborhoods to the south end of the trail. That way you don't have to ride on US41.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 02-23-14 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-23-14, 09:50 PM
TrailViewMount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info Ron and DowneasTTer. It is going to be a treat to bike this section when it opens.
Old 02-23-14, 10:25 PM
TrailViewMount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The new extension is set to open in March 2014. Ocala.com is reporting on this story. Google 'withlacoochee state trail updates' to get all the specifics.
Old 03-03-14, 10:08 PM
TrailViewMount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just received an update on the scheduled opening of the new Withlacoochee State Trail extension in Dunnellon Florida. It's March 26th. Hope many can bike this at that time.
Old 03-04-14, 04:11 PM
Lindaosm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just received an update on the scheduled opening of the new Withlacoochee State Trail extension in Dunnellon Florida. It's March 26th. Hope many can bike this at that time.
Thanks! we are looking forward to this opening.
Old 04-01-14, 09:11 AM
Yankeetowner

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does anyone know if it has opened??? If it has opened I plan on checking it out this weekend. Thanks.
Old 04-01-14, 10:47 AM
DowneasTTer

Originally Posted by Yankeetowner
Does anyone know if it has opened??? If it has opened I plan on checking it out this weekend. Thanks.
I rode past today (1 April) and there were still large work vehicles in the roadway of the trail head. The road closed signage is still up. So my guess is not yet.
Old 04-01-14, 05:02 PM
TrailViewMount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My information was incorrect on March 26th. That was the scheduled construction completion date. I haven't heard when it will officially open. Ocala.com has been following the progress. So that's a great place for any announcements. Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-14, 10:46 AM
DowneasTTer

IT'S OPEN!!! Sorry to yell but this is indeed GREAT news Sometime during the afternoon of 3 April the road closed signage was taken down. On our way to Gulf Junction trail head today we noticed that the road was opened to the new trail head. So on our way back home we stopped to LEGALLY ride the trail for the first time.

Here are a few shots of the new section. This is the new southern trail head off from RT 41.

Riding from the trail head toward the bridge over the Withlacoochee river.

Just before the bridge.

The bridge is all new but made to look like a railroad trestle bridge.

And finally a shot from the bridge.

Here is a copy of an email I received this week about a meeting in Inverness next week to discuss connecting the new Dunnellon section with the existing Withlacoochee. If interested Please attend.

The Citrus County Board of County Commissioners is meeting Tuesday, April 8, and one topic of discussion will be “closing the gap” between the north end of the Withlacoochee State Trail and the Dunnellon Trail. This will directly impact the usage of our trail. Commissioner Rebecca Bays asks that as many Trail supporters as possible attend this meeting and be prepared to speak in favor of the project to close the gap.

You do not need to live in Citrus County to attend or speak at this meeting. If you would use this connector trail, it is important to let Commissioners know that you visit Citrus County because of the trail system.

The meeting will begin promptly at 1 p.m. in Room 100, Citrus County Courthouse, 110 N. Apopka Avenue, Inverness, FL, with public comment at 1:05.

In order for us to make a visual impact, please wear either your orange or yellow T-shirt from the 2013 Bike Ride, if you have them.
Old 04-06-14, 12:40 PM
Lindaosm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great News! We rode over last Saturday to the end near the baseball field but the barriers were still up. No riding this weekend but I might talk hubby into a late afternoon ride this week. We did ride it several weeks ago. The barriers were not up but the bridge was closed. Going to be a beautiful ride.
Old 04-07-14, 08:37 AM
Yankeetowner

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is the first photo of the trail head across from the Sunoco station? When the trail is connected, won't it have to cross 41?
Old 04-07-14, 11:54 AM
DowneasTTer

Originally Posted by Yankeetowner
Is the first photo of the trail head across from the Sunoco station? When the trail is connected, won't it have to cross 41?
Yes the 1st photo is the trail head across from the Sunoco Station off from Withlacoochee Trail. The northern end trailhead is near the ball fields. To connect this part to the main trail will require getting across 41. Here is a pic showing the 3 proposed connectors.

If you are interested you can read the entire proposal to be discussed at the 8 April meeting. You will find it on starting on page 362 of the following:

https://citruscountyfl.iqm2.com/Citiz...21&Inline=True
Old 04-12-14, 01:19 PM
TrailViewMount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally biked the new extension on 4-11-14. What a beautiful trail section. More scenic than I anticipated. Video is going on YouTube as I write this. More photos on my website. 2.25 miles from Highway 39 trailhead to back trailhead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6775.jpg (99.9 KB, 7 views)
IMG_6753.jpg (88.6 KB, 7 views)
IMG_6758-001.jpg (85.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-12-14, 06:59 PM
Lindaosm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lookinUp
Is there a good route from the North end of the trail to the extension? Looks like Citrus Springs Blvd. to hwy 39 then north to the extension trailhead might be good. Riding US 41 from Martinelli to 39 isn't something I prefer to do.
Actually you could park at the north end (Gulf Junction) and ride Martinelli east to 41. I think it comes out just south of the Sunoco. You would just have to cross 41 to get to the new trail head. I think we're going to park over at the new north end near the baseball field off of 484 and ride south tomorrow. Have not been riding much at all. It's been a crazy tax season but I plan on getting back to it real soon. This is a beautiful trail. I'm really curious about the extension that will eventually go east from the ball field.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.