Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Yet another try at "Is carbon faster?"

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Yet another try at "Is carbon faster?"

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-14, 11:42 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Buy these are generally not, particularly on stock bikes. Additionally, shape and certain structural characteristics of carbon fiber frames are difficult to achieve with aluminum and steel. Keep in mind also that for some reason, top end aluminum bikes just aren't spec'd as well as carbon fiber bikes.

He didn't ask if he could upgrade all of his components, buy better wheels and tires, and commission a hydroformed aluminum frame, would that make him faster. He asked if someone having an aluminum framed bike, not cognizant of all of the details that make a bike and rider faster, could expect more speed if he bought a "nice carbon bike".

rpenmanparker's suggested testing method would work, is valid scientific method in my opinion, but wouldn't answer the question. If you really want to know the answer, take a number of representative bikes, put power meters on them, and run the tests. Or else ask the cyclists who have experience with upgrading from an aluminum bike, as OP did.
Your analysis isn't wrong, but I think your take-away is. How would you provide an accurate answer to the question? Test every carbon bike? Provide anecdotal information as is so popular on the 41? Such as, "Well my carbon bike made me faster." It is a nearly impossible task, but I think testing the CF bike that is most highly regarded for speed against similarly reputed bikes of other materials is about the best that can be done as a first approximation. Limiting the variables as much as possible to only the frame is just further simplification. Never fear, there is plenty of complication to be worked into the database down the road.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-13-14, 11:51 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Wrong question ? Please explain.

I don't trust first hand experience in trying to determine a difference in speed from 1 frame to another. One may "feel faster" than another, but that doesn't make it faster.
Now that suggests an interesting test with useful results for questions like these. Blind A-B tests of riders, using bikes known to be unequal or identical, to determine the probability that a rider really could tell the difference. Then data from first hand accounts could be weighted to appropriate confidence intervals.

Or you could take it with a grain of salt, and note that a large preponderance indicates a likely result.
Old 07-14-14, 12:01 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Some of us suggest that rigorous testing protocols may show if one frame material enables a bike to go faster than a different frame material.

Others think that riders can feel the difference, and we should accept their "feeling" as a conclusion.

OK, difference of opinion here I guess.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-14-14, 12:04 AM
tonski 

Bikes: Ritte 8055, Felt TK3, Cervelo S2 & P3, Giant TCR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wrong question ? Please explain.

I don't trust first hand experience in trying to determine a difference in speed from 1 frame to another. One may "feel faster" than another, but that doesn't make it faster.
It looks like he's saying that you're putting artificial constraints on the OPs question. Don't really know for sure though and the "study" is flawed anyway, if you wanted to know if you'd ride faster the riders would need to ride at the same W every day to ensure a valid test, since the OPs W is presumably the same day to day
Old 07-14-14, 12:04 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i do go faster on my carbon.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 07-14-14, 12:07 AM
HiFiGuy1

Bikes: 2009 Kestrel evoke SL frameset with SRAM Red/Force 22 components

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting question, and one without a simple answer. I can say that I personally rode a Felt Z4 carbon bike after riding a Felt Z85, which is a decent practical comparison between carbon and aluminum, with the same geometry by the same manufacturer but different materials. I was certainly able to ride more quickly on the Z4 because it was less jarring, so I felt better pressing harder. The ride was more comfortable, so I was more comfortable riding at a higher speed. Is the carbon frame itself "faster" than it's aluminum brother? Not likely. Did it allow ME to go faster? Definitely.
Old 07-14-14, 12:09 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Yes, it would be very difficult to actually carry out a valid test. But saying "I feel faster" is not much of an answer. At least testing, if possible, would give a legitimate answer.

You'd need to set up a robot cyclist, putting out a constant wattage, in an indoor velodrome, on the various bikes, then measure the elapsed distance after a specific time.

Old 07-14-14, 12:10 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i don't just feel faster. i am faster by half an hour over 100 miles.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 07-14-14, 12:19 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by coasting
i don't just feel faster. i am faster by half an hour over 100 miles.
How many centuries have you ridden on each bike ?
And what are the differences between your bikes : Wheels ? Tire pressure? Fit ? Body aerodynamics ? Weather conditions ? # of poops each day ? sleep the night before ? hydration ? nutrition ? Were you on the drops/hoods/ tops the exact same amount on both bikes ?

Plenty of factors than can have a cumulative effect.

Old 07-14-14, 12:21 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
How many centuries have you ridden on each bike ?
And what are the differences between your bikes : Wheels ? Tire pressure? Fit ? Body aerodynamics ? Weather conditions ? # of poops each day ? sleep the night before ? hydration ? nutrition ? Were you on the drops/hoods/ tops the exact same amount on both bikes ?
back when i was in london i would do a century each month if i had the time. i did this when i hd the steel and first got into cycling and after i got the carbon.

the faster carbon rides are consistent.

Old 07-14-14, 12:25 AM
HiFiGuy1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it would be very difficult to actually carry out a valid test. But saying "I feel faster" is not much of an answer. At least testing, if possible, would give a legitimate answer.

You'd need to set up a robot cyclist, putting out a constant wattage, in an indoor velodrome, on the various bikes, then measure the elapsed distance after a specific time.
Well, to be fair, it's not much of a question, now is it? Empirically speaking, at least. And I certainly didn't say my answer was definitive by any stretch, but just a simple observation of two otherwise very similar bikes by one rider on the same day on the same route. It is, of course, subjective.

The truth is, almost any scenario can be picked apart. The problem with a velodrome, in your example, is that it would essentially be constant speed, as offered by constant wattage from a robot. So except for the initial acceleration, there wouldn't really be much in it, because after that the bike would reach steady state, and unless one or the other were significantly "lossy" due to flexure, they would be roughly the same. The reality is that you would need to engineer two largely identical frames to have the same deflections under constant load, and basically test them under dynamic load with your robot, to see if they performed differently dynamically. The lore of a Ti frame, for example, is that under small deflections the frame will "give", but Ti stiffens under larger deflections, so it rides comfortably over road imperfections, but is responsive when accelerating or climbing.

Now, a robot that could ride all the hills and descents and flats of the Tour de France by itself, once with a steel or aluminum frame, and once with a carbon frame, that would be a start. You think Google would hook us up with the test equipment?
Old 07-14-14, 12:31 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1

Now, a robot that could ride all the hills and descents and flats of the Tour de France by itself, once with a steel or aluminum frame, and once with a carbon frame, that would be a start.
Miguel Indurain ?

Old 07-14-14, 12:33 AM
e_guevara

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10 Team, Giant TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
He didn't ask if he could upgrade all of his components, buy better wheels and tires, and commission a hydroformed aluminum frame, would that make him faster. He asked if someone having an aluminum framed bike, not cognizant of all of the details that make a bike and rider faster, could expect more speed if he bought a "nice carbon bike".
From the OP first post:

Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
... Say Joe Schmoe does his normal weekend hard 50 mile ride on his steel race bike. He always goes "all out" on this ride. He always tries to beat his personal best time. He buys a nice cf bike, say a Madone or something, with similar components and wheels to his steel bike. Does easily beat his personal best? ...
He apparently knows what constitutes a bike - frame, wheels, and components.

Geometry, positioning, components, wheels, placebo.
Buy these are generally not, particularly on stock bikes. <sic>
You can choose a particular bike geometry depending on your intended use, or for comfort reasons, without going custom. As for positioning, a good LBS can get you into a "good enough" fit. You can go to a reputable fitter if need be. Positioning helps, but you can do it on your old bike first and see if it improves your riding. Aside from weight and comfort, what benefit can components (handlebars, stem, seatpost, saddle) provide that relates to being "faster"?

Additionally, shape and certain structural characteristics of carbon fiber frames are difficult to achieve with aluminum and steel.
Aero tube shapes can be done with aluminum through hydroforming, but not so in steel. As far as structural characteristics is concerned, aluminum and steel are stiff enough. Where CF trumps aluminum or steel is in it's stiffness-to-weight and the ability to "tune" the system. But tuning can also be done on aluminum or steel but not as good as with carbon.

Keep in mind also that for some reason, top end aluminum bikes just aren't spec'd as well as carbon fiber bikes.
Specialized Allez is sold with DA 9000, Cannondale CAAD10 Black Inc. is with Red22, and Giant TCR SLR is with Ultegra. Isn't that comparable to what high-end carbon bikes are spec'd with?
Old 07-14-14, 12:35 AM
HiFiGuy1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miguel Indurain ?
Old 07-14-14, 06:40 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I should say that I accept all the implications of using a particular material in producing a faster or slower result. So CF's ability to be shaped to a greater degree as well as laid up with complexity not possible in the metals would be necessarily inherent in the frame chosen and the result obtained. I regard that as a component of what we mean when we say CF bike. Same for the relative limitations of each of the metals.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-14-14, 07:13 AM
jaggededge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every persons situation is different. For me going from a late 60's steel bike to a average weight carbon bike has been a huge difference.
Now that I have my legs under me after 4 rides I've attained a goal I was trying to meet on my old bike; 20 miles in an hour.
Old 07-14-14, 07:21 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
I gained two miles per hour going from one steel bike to another steel bike. I believe the speed improvement comes from wheels and body positioning on the newer steel bike with the positioning being a combination of fit and design geometry. The weight is a couple of pounds difference, but climbs are not the only place I am seeing gains. I'm faster on the new steel than on an older carbon Madone I owned.

I think that buying yourself a good bike will help you improve your speed, be it steel, aluminum, ti, or carbon, but don't buy that frame material will automatically make you faster.
Old 07-14-14, 07:37 AM
darb85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
at elite levels? maybe? But My Biggest noticed change is fatigue from my aluminum bike. much less. Its quite noticable. Frame was the only change in my case.
Old 07-14-14, 07:43 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
a lot of people in denial.

Old 07-14-14, 07:48 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
a lot of people in denial.
Let me ask this for the second time. In what way did the frame material allow you to ride 100 miles 30 minutes quicker?
Old 07-14-14, 07:53 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
what makes you think it didnt?

Old 07-14-14, 07:55 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
one thing that was noticeable was my arse was more comfy and i didnt have to ease off to stand up as often.

Old 07-14-14, 08:01 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
A high end CF frame is going to be faster than a steel frame for several reasons. Problem is that the difference is pretty darn small.

My perosnal points of reference would be to compare my OS Paramount, with my Wilier. The OS Paramount used shaped oversized tubes, and still is fairly close to state of the art for steel racing bikes.

The Wilier frame and fork is almost 3 pounds lighter than the Paramount's frame and fork.

3lbs will save you about 1 minute on an 5 mile, 8 percent grade.

The 3lbs will also save you some energy, or increase your speed a touch, every time you have to accelerate from a stop, or out of a curve, or to respond to a surge. The difference again is very small, but over the course of a long race can add up.

Biggest difference for me in speed, is that the stiffness of the front end increases my confidence descending and cornering, which allows me to go faster into corners. I'm sure you could corner as fast on the comparitvely flexy steel bike, but in practice, the confidence that the Wilier inspires results in me going faster.

There also may be a small difference in efficiency in the transfer of power from a stiffer bb, although that is subject to debate.

Net, net, there are small, but real advantages to the CF frame. However, anecdotal reports that "my speed increased 2 mph" are either fantasy, placebo, position change, calibration error or a combination therof.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-14-14, 08:02 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by e_guevara
From the OP first post:
Aero tube shapes can be done with aluminum through hydroforming, but not so in steel. As far as structural characteristics is concerned, aluminum and steel are stiff enough. Where CF trumps aluminum or steel is in it's stiffness-to-weight and the ability to "tune" the system. But tuning can also be done on aluminum or steel but not as good as with carbon.
I had a Bianchi EV Boron that had shaped tubes. It was steel.
Old 07-14-14, 08:18 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
what makes you think it didnt?
Because I've had a carbon bike ('06 Giant TCR Composite 2) and I know that it will not instantly drop 30 minutes on a century ride. Some of you act like it's like riding a dual suspension bike or something. It's still a fully rigid bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.