Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Emonda & recurring chain suck: what are your thoughts?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek Emonda & recurring chain suck: what are your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14, 03:39 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by cydewaze
I don't have a lot of experience with SRAM cranks, but my wife's Serotta came specced with an FSA Gossamer crank, and it shifted atrociously. We made two visits back to the shop, but they couldn't fix it by adjusting it. Finally they swapped it out with an Ultegra crank, and it's shifted flawlessly since.
That's all fine, but it is not exactly apples to apples. The Gossamer is close to the bottom of the FSA line while the Ultegra is close to the top of the Shimano line. Not a fair comparison. FSA SL-K Light and K-Force Light cranks have always performed excellently well for me.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-04-14, 06:27 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
That's all fine, but it is not exactly apples to apples. The Gossamer is close to the bottom of the FSA line while the Ultegra is close to the top of the Shimano line. Not a fair comparison. FSA SL-K Light and K-Force Light cranks have always performed excellently well for me.
Sorry, I didn't realize that lower end cranks were all expected to shift lousily. The STX cranks on my old mountain bike shifted just fine.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 12-04-14, 06:45 PM
bt
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
at this point in my amateur mup trail career, I would only buy a shimano crank, period.
Old 12-04-14, 06:57 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Sorry, I didn't realize that lower end cranks were all expected to shift lousily. The STX cranks on my old mountain bike shifted just fine.
I said nothing about expectations. I said your comparison was unfair. It is therefore useless.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-06-14, 08:31 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When I recently fitted a red yaw front derailleur, i didn't follow the instructions and set it up like an older red unit. It shifted incomprehensibly poorly. Make sure that isn't an issue.
Old 12-09-14, 09:34 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Any new updates? Still waiting?

Old 12-09-14, 09:56 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Lower end cranks from Shimano should shift almost as well as the high end ones, what will be different is the finish, weight and materials used, lots of steel in the low end ones, Alu and Carbon fiber in the high end ones. STX were mid range, and pretty good BITD. For FSA Gossamer, would look at these as being spec'd on 105/Ultegra level bikes to get them to a price point, have used a couple, some have worn badly, others, just keep going
Old 12-09-14, 02:29 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Any new updates? Still waiting?
I haven't heard anything from my dealer since my last update on 3 Dec.
Old 12-11-14, 11:41 AM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
If Trek would offer me Dura Ace Di2 that'd be a no-brainer . . . I could easily justify a little over half a pound for improved reliability and confidence. But being realistic, Dura Ace Di2 is much more expensive than Red22, so I'm not even going to mention that to them because that's just unreasonable. Anyways . . . I still haven't decided if Ultegra Di2 is worth the weight penalty in my situation, assuming Trek would even be willing to swap groupsets to appease my misgivings with Sram.
You live in Florida. Unless you make a lot of trips north, weight is simply not a significant factor in your riding.
Old 12-11-14, 01:05 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Originally Posted by nhluhr
You live in Florida. Unless you make a lot of trips north, weight is simply not a significant factor in your riding.
I'm in the military. I've moved 4 times in the past 6 years, so though I may reside in FL, it's temporary and thus has no bearing on my desire for a light weight bike. I make frequent trips back to my home state of NC, and when there I do a lot of riding around the Blue Ridge Mountains (ever heard of Mt. Mitchell? It's the tallest peak east of the Mississippi) and in the foothills. Were I to permanently reside here in FL, I'd agree with you . . . but that's not my situation.
Old 12-12-14, 11:20 AM
gerard2013

Bikes: Domane 4.5, Miyata 1000, Bike Friday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nhluhr
That's interesting. So is it due to colder weather up north that lighter bikes are an advantage where you have to dress warmly and need to be more concerned about the bike weight, or just because of higher latitudes where you're riding in a tighter circle around the north pole and the lower weight helps reduce centrifugal force?
Old 12-15-14, 08:09 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

UPDATE 15 Dec:

My dealer called. He installed the new replacement chain rings and FD that SRAM sent. He said that although he did not get the chain to drop, he did notice a real bad hesitation when shifting from the small to large chain ring that he really didn't like. He spent a while talking with Trek, and Trek wants the entire bike shipped to them for fault-tracing. So my bike will get shipped out to them tomorrow.

In the meantime, my dealer offered me a S4 to ride - I anticipate that bike will shift flawlessly.

I also received a call from a Trek rep shortly after taking with my dealer. At this point I'm choosing to withhold some details out of an abundance of concern to be fair to Trek. Suffice it to say, I was able to express my concern and desired resolution. At this point, Trek is following their standard protocol for situations like this, which is that they inspect my bike.

I'll post further updates as I receive them. Thanks everyone for your moral support and input throughout this ordeal.
Old 12-15-14, 09:25 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the update.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 12-15-14, 10:36 PM
timmbo

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.9ssl (brand new 12/30/15)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am very interested in hearing the outcome, thanks for keeping us posted!
Old 12-15-14, 11:12 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
UPDATE 15 Dec:

My dealer called. He installed the new replacement chain rings and FD that SRAM sent. He said that although he did not get the chain to drop, he did notice a real bad hesitation when shifting from the small to large chain ring that he really didn't like. He spent a while talking with Trek, and Trek wants the entire bike shipped to them for fault-tracing. So my bike will get shipped out to them tomorrow.

In the meantime, my dealer offered me a S4 to ride - I anticipate that bike will shift flawlessly.

I also received a call from a Trek rep shortly after taking with my dealer. At this point I'm choosing to withhold some details out of an abundance of concern to be fair to Trek. Suffice it to say, I was able to express my concern and desired resolution. At this point, Trek is following their standard protocol for situations like this, which is that they inspect my bike.

I'll post further updates as I receive them. Thanks everyone for your moral support and input throughout this ordeal.
I've got my money on it being a frame crack in the seat tube near the front derailleur hanger... You heard it here first! Once you are done replacing every component, it's time to start looking to the thing all these components are attached to.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 12-16-14, 05:29 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
I have been wondering if there was something wrong with the frame that shouldn't have passed QC but did because someone was in a hurry at the end of the day. There are stories about Raleigh frames from the 70's (I know steel is different as it was actually welded, but still, people are people) about how you could tell what time it was made because, as it got closer to closing time, especially on Fridays, tubes weren't put as carefully into jigs and lots of frames came off pretty poorly aligned. Almost killed the company's reputation.

Old 12-16-14, 05:50 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
UPDATE 15 Dec:

Sounds like your hard and thoughtful effort is paying off. There should be good resolution to this.

How about a review of the S4...as in Cervelo S4?...compared to your Emonda?...aside from the shifting difference.
Old 12-16-14, 06:22 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
How about a review of the S4...as in Cervelo S4?...compared to your Emonda?...aside from the shifting difference.
S2, S3, S5... no S4.
Old 12-16-14, 06:53 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
I've got my money on it being a frame crack in the seat tube near the front derailleur hanger... You heard it here first! Once you are done replacing every component, it's time to start looking to the thing all these components are attached to.
First!!!! I kinda said something similar on the last page. . Sounds to me like the frame is flexing and causing this shifting issue. That kind of flex would either be from a crack or just bad manufacturing.

I'd say it's flex coming from the chainstay though.
Old 12-16-14, 09:19 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My prediction is more subtle. Most FD hangers are held onto the frame by two bolts or rivets. I think it's a crack between the two bolt holes. Causes the FD mount to flex when shifting into the big ring.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 12-16-14, 10:11 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Sounds like your hard and thoughtful effort is paying off. There should be good resolution to this.

I've got my fingers crossed for a good resolution. The Trek rep, while polite and professional, was very careful not to commit to any sort of resolution other than taking the next step of letting them examine the bike.

The bike I'll be riding will be the Emonda S4 (entry-level model) with Shimano Tiagra components. No Cervelo, but I'll happily provide you with a review, lol! I'm currently out of town, so I likely won't get a ride on the S4 until the weekend.

Bringing things full circle, Jan 2nd is the date the movers demolished my '08 Madone, which precipitated the purchase of this Emonda as a replacement. So I'm almost to a year of inconsistent riding due to damaged bikes. Yippee.
Old 12-16-14, 10:26 AM
jtwilson

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bringing things full circle, Jan 2nd is the date the movers demolished my '08 Madone, which precipitated the purchase of this Emonda as a replacement.
Just curious, how did the movers demolish your Madone? Was it a JPPSO move?
Old 12-16-14, 10:37 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
S2, S3, S5... no S4.
There is reference of the S4 on the web. Cervelo doesn't show one on their website.
OP likely didn't mean a S4 Cervelo.
Old 12-16-14, 10:48 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
My prediction is more subtle. Most FD hangers are held onto the frame by two bolts or rivets. I think it's a crack between the two bolt holes. Causes the FD mount to flex when shifting into the big ring.
I'm very intersted to find out what it is.

I ride with a lady who has had issues with a Madone project one from a few years ago that has front shifting issues. She has Sram Force on it and I've always wondered if she had some weird frame flex going on because the groupset seems set up correctly.
Old 12-16-14, 11:09 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
There is reference of the S4 on the web. Cervelo doesn't show one on their website.
OP likely didn't mean a S4 Cervelo.
The OP clarified:
The bike I'll be riding will be the Emonda S4
And I stand corrected:

Last edited by GlennR; 12-16-14 at 11:16 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.