Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Nexus 7 folding bike £213 today only (UK only)

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 03-11-18, 01:04 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts

https://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfo...lcode=93304130

Great price for a Nexus 7 folding bike for those in the UK and possibly other parts of Europe with an increased postage cost.

You need to use the app and 'APP20' code.

A lot of bike for little money.

Even cheaper if you buy a cashback site like topcashback to buy discounted giftcards from Zeek and use a discount code on the Zeek site. Could go well under £200 as final price.
Old 03-11-18, 09:07 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 586 Posts
I tried to order it (im in the USA, and they deliver to my location), the code didn't work. Too bad,...looks like a great deal for those that can get it.
Old 03-12-18, 01:49 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Originally Posted by tds101
I tried to order it (im in the USA, and they deliver to my location), the code didn't work. Too bad,...looks like a great deal for those that can get it.
I think postage would have been prohibitive and you would have been hit by custom's duty as well. It only made sense for people in the UK and in Europe. You had to use the app for the code to work.
Old 03-12-18, 02:23 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
I think postage would have been prohibitive and you would have been hit by custom's duty as well. It only made sense for people in the UK and in Europe. You had to use the app for the code to work.
Wrong. I hit the link and was sent to the USA site, and shipping was $.99. I believe it's $380usd, and that's still a good price.
Old 03-12-18, 07:16 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Code FW20 in USA
Old 03-12-18, 07:54 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Code FW20 in USA
That code is for footwear,...it's useless for the bike. It doesn't work,...

Last edited by tds101; 03-12-18 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-12-18, 01:51 PM
Bonzo Banana

Wrong. I hit the link and was sent to the USA site, and shipping was $.99. I believe it's $380usd, and that's still a good price.
Fair point. I didn't even realise sports direct were in the USA. I can see they have a limited selection of bikes but the Nexus 7 folding bike is there.

Look out for the discount offer being available for app users in the USA I suppose if the current code doesn't work in the USA. It's been extended 1 day I think.
Old 03-13-18, 06:25 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Man,...there's no in app discount. But, for $390.99 shipped and delivered, it's still a dawg gone great deal.
Old 03-13-18, 07:52 AM
Bonzo Banana

This is pretty much the same bike (identical frame);

Carrera Transit Folding Bike

It's just the muddyfox bike has a 7 speed nexus instead of 3 speed and has stronger wheels with 36 spokes and I believe a higher rider weight capacity but that's really the main differences.
Old 03-13-18, 06:12 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Are the wheels single or double wall? That's a deciding factor for me,...
Old 03-14-18, 03:18 AM
Bonzo Banana

I'm not sure but in that other thread 'Snoopy20' said the wheels were bullet proof but then I think he changed the front hub to something else but kept the rims. As soon as he got it he started upgrading it and I think claimed got it down to a 10kg weight after the upgrades (which is pretty amazing with a Nexus hub).
Old 03-14-18, 10:06 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I'm not sure but in that other thread 'Snoopy 20' said the wheels were bullet proof but then I think he changed the front hub to something else but kept the rims. As soon as he got it he started upgrading it and I think claimed got it down to a 10kg weight after the upgrades (which is pretty amazing with a Nexus hub).
I'm going to see if @snoopy20 can give me an answer. If they are double wall I'm probably making a purchase of 1 myself.

THANKS!!!

Last edited by tds101; 03-14-18 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-15-18, 03:28 PM
gdlerner

Bikes: Pocket Llama

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Any one know what is the weight of the bike?
Old 03-16-18, 03:23 AM
Bonzo Banana

Originally Posted by gdlerner
Any one know what is the weight of the bike?
In the region of 12-13kg probably closer to 13kg. Some parts could be removed if you didn't need them like the kickstand but most of the parts are aluminium alloy including seat post, handlebars and handlebar stem. Many of the cheaper steel based 20" folders are around 15-16kg. The Shimano Nexus hub does add some weight compared to a basic derailleur system especially one freewheel based.
Old 03-18-18, 01:00 PM
gdlerner

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I just ordered one de will see
Old 03-18-18, 05:28 PM
Bonzo Banana

This is the basic spec.

Alloy Folding Bike Frame

> Alloy Rigid Front Forks

> Alloy Handlebars

> Alloy Telescopic Folding Handlebar Stem

> 7 Speed ​​Shimano Nexus in-hub gears with Shimano Nexus Revoshift Shifter

> Prowheel Chainset - 46T

> Promax Front and Rear Alloy V-Brakes

> 20 " Alloy Wheels - Front Quick Release

> Alloy Pannier Rack

> Alloy Kickstand

> Front & Rear Mudguards

> Saddle with Bumpers

> Recommended for inside leg measurement 29-35 inches

> Recommended age:from 12 years old

> Total weight: About 13 kg

Worth double checking assembly before use. It's a pretty decent bike but assembly from the factory can be less than stellar.
Old 03-19-18, 07:48 AM
Bonzo Banana

I can confirm that the only steel on the bike is the spokes, headset, front chain ring (not crank arms), saddle mounting and saddle railings, rear cog and chain.

Frame welds are excellent, japanese made nexus hub, single wall wheels (look pretty generic quality but the 36 spokes and small size should ensure they are strong), feels very strong and decent but the frame has a sticker stating bike+rider+luggage=105kg so we are talking about a rider weight limit of 90 or so kg officially. I don't feel the weight limit is dictated by the frame and certainly not the Nexus hub so would feel more likely limited by the basic wheel quality or possibly aluminium forks, stem, handlebars or seat post.

I think it would happily take a 100kg rider to be honest. Unfortunately I can't ride it currently so it's going to have to wait until I lose more weight. I'll have to stick to my mountain bikes for the moment.

Comparing this bike to a Dahon Vybe I saw in Halfords sometime ago the frame here looks much better quality than the Dahon however the Dahon I seem to remember had double wall wheels plus the Dahon had possibly stronger high tensile steel forks rather than the lightweight aluminium forks of this bike. So these 2 differences while adding weight may make the Dahon stronger.

The Carrera Transit sold in Halfords has a weight limit of 85kg for the rider and that is pretty much an identical bike except a 3 speed hub gear rather than 7 speed. I guess that 85kg weight limit is pretty much the official line here. Allowing for the bike weighing 12-13kg and some amount of luggage capacity.

Bike looks and feels very decent quality. A real step up from entry level and probably competitive in quality of components with hub geared Dahon and Tern bikes. However I suspect I will need to examine and re-assemble it to make sure everything is spot on. For the moment though its going to get folded up and stored unfortunately I hope to be riding it by the summer.
Old 03-19-18, 10:15 AM
gdlerner

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
For me will be ok I am light only 70kg
Old 03-20-18, 03:45 PM
Bonzo Banana

Don't forget to tell us how you get on with it.

I'm not keen on the twist shifter on mine. That and the saddle are the only things I'm thinking of changing. It's going to cost me about £20 to change the shifter to a rapid shifter and I'm thinking about it. As I won't be riding it for a while I may play the waiting game for an offer. Tried to find one of the cheaper microshift nexus shifters but no luck on sourcing one of those at a more competitive price.

I really like the bike I have to say.
Old 03-20-18, 05:21 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

70kg? Grab this bike,...you should get tons of enjoyment from riding it. And please, do tell us about your thoughts on it.
Old 03-21-18, 03:43 AM
slowwheeler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having been mulling over folding bikes for a little while, I also bought one of these when the offer appeared.

I've just opened the box, interestingly, the frame sticker on my one says 115Kg...
Old 03-21-18, 09:40 AM
Bonzo Banana

Originally Posted by slowwheeler
Having been mulling over folding bikes for a little while, I also bought one of these when the offer appeared.

I've just opened the box, interestingly, the frame sticker on my one says 115Kg...
Could you take a picture maybe I have misread mine, will check again when at home.

If it's like mine it shows the bike plus rider plus luggage is 105 or 115kg so you have to subtract the weight of the bike anyway which is 12-13kg so its 92kg or 102kg without luggage.

If you have a magnet check your forks to see if steel or aluminium, mine are aluminium its possible you have steel. I only mention that as I saw something previously that indicated they were steel forks but mine are aluminium. Maybe a spec change at some point.

My bike wasn't bought from sports direct, it was a shop soiled model from ebay so may not represent the same age of stock as currently shipping from sports direct. I didn't receive a manual or any literature with it. A slightly shop soiled example with a few scratches.
Old 03-21-18, 09:43 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

The weight of the bike isn't counted in it's specifications. A bike listed as being able to carry 115kg is for rider + baggage.
Old 03-21-18, 12:08 PM
Bonzo Banana

The weight of the bike isn't counted in it's specifications. A bike listed as being able to carry 115kg is for rider + baggage.
You'd think that logically but that isn't how the certification is written sadly.

When you see that symbol it shows bike+rider+luggage=105kg it actually means including the weight of the bike. It isn't very common sense and may be something more related to Europe than elsewhere. If you read the manuals below (scan for kg) you will see the btwin bike has a total weight allowance of 100kg including the weight of the bike and the Carrera/13 manual has a weight limit of 160kg including the weight of the bike. I've double checked my bike and it is a combined weight of 105kg on mine sadly not 115kg. However many cycle manuals give clearer instructions and don't mention this stupid combined weight rubbish but I think some bikes that have low strength weak frames like to show the maximum weight including the bike weight because they think it looks better. What annoys me about this is that if they give a standard maximum capacity like 100kg like btwin that means a 8kg carbon bike allows for a 92kg rider without luggage but a 18kg comfort bike only has a weight capacity of 82kg despite being much stronger. So it makes little sense and you have to bypass your logic chip to accept it.

https://www.btwin.com/notices/wp-cont...5V_EN_PE12.pdf

https://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/lib...manual_new.pdf
Old 03-21-18, 09:35 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

You'd think that logically but that isn't how the certification is written sadly.

When you see that symbol it shows bike+rider+luggage=105kg it actually means including the weight of the bike. It isn't very common sense and may be something more related to Europe than elsewhere. If you read the manuals below (scan for kg) you will see the btwin bike has a total weight allowance of 100kg including the weight of the bike and the Carrera/13 manual has a weight limit of 160kg including the weight of the bike. I've double checked my bike and it is a combined weight of 105kg on mine sadly not 115kg. However many cycle manuals give clearer instructions and don't mention this stupid combined weight rubbish but I think some bikes that have low strength weak frames like to show the maximum weight including the bike weight because they think it looks better. What annoys me about this is that if they give a standard maximum capacity like 100kg like btwin that means a 8kg carbon bike allows for a 92kg rider without luggage but a 18kg comfort bike only has a weight capacity of 82kg despite being much stronger. So it makes little sense and you have to bypass your logic chip to accept it.

https://www.btwin.com/notices/wp-cont...5V_EN_PE12.pdf

https://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/lib...manual_new.pdf
In the USA the way I've stated it is the way it's legally described. In Europe the laws are different, and oftentimes we see different bikes with different specs for different locals. There is no need for me to mentally make an adjustment,...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.