Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

81(?) Schwinn Voyageur 11.8

Old 03-23-19, 05:45 PM
Buellster

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
81(?) Schwinn Voyageur 11.8

So I picked this beauty up today. She is a little worse for wear but I did only pay $50 dollars so I'm pretty happy. I've been wanting a chrome bike in my size and I mismeasured this as a 24" when I picked it up. After I got home I noticed they did not make this model in a 24" and measearued again It is unfortunately a 23". I may be able to make it work but with this mishap in mind I'm interested in what I could resell it for.
From what I see the Voyageur 11.8 was only made in chrome for 2 years. 80 and 81.
the serial number is 81 04 16968. I imagine this means it was made in 81?
At some point it was converted into a three speed with a couple of 26" wheels and a hub from 1962. It looks as though the person who did so may have cut a notch in the rear chain stay. The notch looks quite well done though so perhaps they come with this? Regardless I imagine for resale I'd likley want to put some 27 or 700c wheels back on it with some wrap around DT shifters. Or perhaps the frame alone on Ebay or here is more my best bet?
Thoughts on worth current(3 speed after clean up and lube of course) and post refurb to more traditional?

pics below

I belive this is the right catalogue picture 81

Notch cut in to accomadate chainring. Why not just get a longer spindle?

SA hub says 62 maybe an 8 instead of 6 but I'm doubting it.

Last edited by Buellster; 03-24-19 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-24-19, 07:13 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Notch is not original and depreciates the value a lot in my eyes. I don't sell damaged frames like this on Ebay due to the buyer friendly claim process there. I'd find a better saddle at a co-op, or take one out of my parts bin. Install a longer BB, touch up the gouge, and sell locally.

Positives: Its chrome, and to the 3 speed world, its big.

Personally, I never worry about exact year, 1980 or 1981 has no impact on value. Selling locally, I'd call it a 1981. Serial number similar to Kuwahara, which would make it April 1981. I thought only Bridgestone or Panasonic made these, but I am not sure.

Cost to put it back to original will equal or exceed added value of finished project. So I wouldn't do it.

Last edited by wrk101; 03-24-19 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-24-19, 07:58 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
I'm weeping a little over that chainstay. And that's about how I would have to have the bars and saddle jacked up to ride that comfortably. Seems 24" in Schwinn geometry is about small as I can go. There's a rather frightening U-bolt right on the down tube. Wonder what that's there for. I'd scrub it up, put a little lipstick on it, have a little fun on it this Spring then move it along, or part it out as you see fit.
Old 03-24-19, 09:24 AM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Notch is not original and depreciates the value a lot in my eyes. I don't sell damaged frames like this on Ebay due to the buyer friendly claim process there. I'd find a better saddle at a co-op, or take one out of my parts bin. Install a longer BB, touch up the gouge, and sell locally.

Positives: Its chrome, and to the 3 speed world, its big.

Personally, I never worry about exact year, 1980 or 1981 has no impact on value. Selling locally, I'd call it a 1981. Serial number similar to Kuwahara, which would make it April 1981. I thought only Bridgestone or Panasonic made these, but I am not sure.

Cost to put it back to original will equal or exceed added value of finished project. So I wouldn't do it.
Just why would a person do the notch!? I mean I see why but I would never consider it "easier" to cut a piece out of my bike than to spend the 15 bucks for another BB, or (in portland) 5 bucks for a different spindle. It's just weird.
Cost to value is ratio is about what I figured with that handy notch.

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
I'm weeping a little over that chainstay. And that's about how I would have to have the bars and saddle jacked up to ride that comfortably. Seems 24" in Schwinn geometry is about small as I can go. There's a rather frightening U-bolt right on the down tube. Wonder what that's there for. I'd scrub it up, put a little lipstick on it, have a little fun on it this Spring then move it along, or part it out as you see fit.
You and me both! See my above indignation. Haha
24" I could do but this is a 23". I'm considering giving it a try but the smallest im comfortable on seems to be 24" even then I usually have a pretty tall stem. I've read the TT length is the same on these as on the 25" of this model so perhaps I can give it a shot, it looks like somone my height was already giving it a go with how high up it all is.

The ubolt doesnt seem to be doing anything... I guess I'll know when I take it apart to lube it down. I'm hoping it does nothing because a bike with one modification may have other surprises haha

I'm thinking that's exactly what I'll do. I'll ride it around for a bit and if I get my 50 dollars back I'll ne happy

Last edited by Buellster; 03-24-19 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-24-19, 09:32 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
My guess is the notch was cut so the drive side crank would clear the chain stay. But guessing why idiots do stupid stuff can be difficult.
Old 03-26-19, 07:54 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Buellster
From what I see the Voyageur 11.8 was only made in chrome for 2 years. 80 and 81.
the serial number is 81 04 16968. I imagine this means it was made in 81?
This frame was manufactured by Kuwahara. Most Voyageur 11.8 frames were manufactured by Bridgestone or Panasonic, but a few were from Kuwahara.
Old 03-27-19, 08:49 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 519 Posts
Me, the notch on the chain stay, puts it at $75 to $100.
Old 03-27-19, 12:39 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I've got some decent 27" wheels with a freewheel on them, some decent wrap around shifters and the FD and RD to go along with it. It would be a Frankenstein build and I imagine it wouldnt actually give me angry added value over just turning it around as is? Thoughts?
Old 04-01-19, 07:12 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Somebody took an old 3 speed bike, stripped the parts and put them on this frame. The crank has cut the notch into the stay. Too much flex in the chainring when used as a single. Probably put that u bolt on there to try and keep the ring away from the stay or at least make a noise when it was going to start chewing on it.

Unless SS you have the original parts, sell it as it is but, clean it up. Presentation on a chrome frame is everything. I love my 81 V11.8

If I didn’t have one, I would be making a deal with you already!
Old 04-02-19, 10:29 AM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Somebody took an old 3 speed bike, stripped the parts and put them on this frame. The crank has cut the notch into the stay. Too much flex in the chainring when used as a single. Probably put that u bolt on there to try and keep the ring away from the stay or at least make a noise when it was going to start chewing on it.

Unless SS you have the original parts, sell it as it is but, clean it up. Presentation on a chrome frame is everything. I love my 81 V11.8

If I didn’t have one, I would be making a deal with you already!
I figured as much when I found 26" tires on it haha
that seems so surreal to me. I redo the set up if I was having that many hiccups, especially on such a beauty.
Somone did take it down to the frame at some point I think, the BB was a sealed Shimano so they made it that far at least. They just put it back together a little haphazard haha
hopefully somone else shares your enthusiasm!
Old 04-02-19, 10:32 AM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Update

Down to frame
polished and cleaned it up. This thing is really pretty. Every swipe of the polish made me that much more disappointed it's not my size. I even have a full suntour set up I could put on it.
oh well, not meant to be. Hopefully the person I sell it too will treat it better than the last owner.

Hard to tell against the ugly concrete but this thing really shines now.

Love that lug work, I can almost see myself in them! Haha

The Voyaguer logo is mostly worn away but this one is still looking decent
Old 04-02-19, 10:52 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 2,079 Posts
That frame is worth more than you paid for the bike on the C&V for sale forum even with the stupid notch. If you put it up for $100 plus shipping, it almost become an impulse buy. Heck I might buy it.
Old 04-02-19, 11:23 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
You would get a good riding bike, plus a heavy dose of class!
Old 04-02-19, 04:56 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
That frame is worth more than you paid for the bike on the C&V for sale forum even with the stupid notch. If you put it up for $100 plus shipping, it almost become an impulse buy. Heck I might buy it.
Now there is an Idea.
Considered doing so, thanks for the push. If no one bites I'll probably put it back together and sell it local.