Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

80's? Peugeot Mont Cenis?

Old 08-06-19, 03:17 PM
cbonez

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
80's? Peugeot Mont Cenis?

I just got this bike for free. It seems to be in good shape and has been converted to a fixed gear. Sadly, I think it's a little too large for me, but I'm curious to see what it might be worth, if anything. I'm new, so I'm not allowed to post urls or images apparently, but if you go to imgur you can see some photos I took by adding /a/uJ2oI9f to the end of the imgur url.
Old 01-23-20, 11:17 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 130 Posts
Hi cbonez,

I do not know what the peugeot is worth. THe Mount Cenis models that I have seen had Reynolds 501 tube sets. The PSV and Triathlon models had Super Vitus tube sets.
Old 01-23-20, 12:17 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
https://imgur.com/a/uJ2oI9f link assist.

Mont Cenis is not far from being one of the best frames you can get in the mid-80s from Peugeot, the Super Vitus tubing (making it a PSV-10 or PSN-10 if I recall) is, per my recollection, even lighter than the Reynolds 531 frames, although the lack of seat pinch bolt meant you're stuck using a quill seat post, and those often got stuck.

Value as-is? Assuming no rust and no dents/dings and no mechanical issues, just the frame/fork/stem/seatpost/crankset is worth $100-150 on a quick sale to the right buyer, but could fetch up to $200-250 if you sit on it for a while for someone like me who'd really love to have one. But the real put-off for most people will be the current state, stripped of its nearly $150-200 in drivetrain parts and another $150 in wheelset and brakes you'd need to replace to get this back to stock.

Sucks you're not closer, that's my side and or I'd snap that up from you in a heartbeat! It's sad to see something so high up in Peugeot's food chain scraped of all parts and relegated to the life of a fixed-gear frankenbike.

If you get me the serial number of the bottom bracket shell (under the bike) I can get you the exact year and we may be able to nail down the exact model. I suspect the serial will start with "Y4" or "Y5" possibly "B4" or "B5" but the 32nd digit may be a 6. It's mid-80s for sure.

Last edited by francophile; 01-23-20 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-23-20, 12:20 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

PS - pic assist too.

Old 01-23-20, 12:24 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Ok, one last thing here ... just to give you an idea of how awesome this frame is (and I don't think it was ever made in Reynolds 501!) here is the 1986 catalog page: https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Broc...20Page%205.jpg

The Mont Cenis only weight 0.6 pounds more than the PX10, and 0.4 pounds more than the PZ10! It's really, truly a super-light, there's a reason it was around #3 in the chain for a few years, in a line of a dozen or more road bikes.
Old 01-23-20, 02:40 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
That was thoughtful to include a spare helicomatic freewheel in the repair kit.
Old 01-23-20, 09:06 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
That was thoughtful to include a spare helicomatic freewheel in the repair kit.
I've managed to bend axles on three to date. I've only grenaded one helico freewheel. I still think they generally get a bad wrap. Granted, I've ridden tri-bikes but never entered a single tri in my life...

I hate to think about all the other brand of freewheels I've grenaded or had some other failure ranging from stuck pawl to slipping under load versus what I've seen out of the helicomatics.
Likes For francophile:
Old 01-24-20, 08:11 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
The graphics place this 1984 to 1987. However, it doesn't have the set screw for the seat post as used on the 1984 version or the pump paeg used in 1985 & 1987. Consequently, I believe this to be a 1985 model. The serial number will confirm the exact build date. According to extant literature, this model wasn't called the Mont Cenis until the 1986 model year. In 1985, it was known by its model number PSN 10 (USA) or PSV 10M (France).

Super Vitus 980 isn't as light as most cyclists believe it to be. This is because claimed weight published by Ateliers de la Rive does not include the head or steerer tubes. Still, it is a good grade tubeset, comparable to Columbus SL or Reynolds 531C. The down side is that Peugeot built it into frames using mass production workmanship standards.

If the picture depicts the bicycles the bicycle properly set up for the OP, I wouldn't consider the frame to be too large. If anything, I'd go one size larger.

Last edited by T-Mar; 01-24-20 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-26-20, 12:11 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The graphics place this 1984 to 1987. However, it doesn't have the set screw for the seat post as used on the 1984 version or the pump paeg used in 1985 & 1987. Consequently, I believe this to be a 1985 model. The serial number will confirm the exact build date. According to extant literature, this model wasn't called the Mont Cenis until the 1986 model year. In 1985, it was known by its model number PSN 10 (USA) or PSV 10M (France).

Super Vitus 980 isn't as light as most cyclists believe it to be. This is because claimed weight published by Ateliers de la Rive does not include the head or steerer tubes. Still, it is a good grade tubeset, comparable to Columbus SL or Reynolds 531C. The down side is that Peugeot built it into frames using mass production workmanship standards.

If the picture depicts the bicycles the bicycle properly set up for the OP, I wouldn't consider the frame to be too large. If anything, I'd go one size larger.
I agree with T-Mar about the disappointing quality of the SV980 frames that Peugeot made in the mid 80's I had to go through two batch deliveries of PSV's in a Peugeot dealership, before I found mine with good brazing and lug prep quality. Otherwise, most of them either had gaps at the lugs where brazing materials was missing or brazing spatter under the paint or lugs that were filed uneven at the points crooked or severely blunted.
Being that the PSV was my dream bike back then, It was actually quite depressing going through all those bikes and finally finding just one good one that might have been the work of their best builder on the regular production line, which were evidently far and few.
and it wasn't the end of the story after I found what a thought was a good one, as after riding the bike two weeks, the head tube started to develop a bulge right at the front of the head tube, just above the lower head lug. The dealer took it back as a warranty claim and he was nice enough to go search for another well built example of the PSV for me to make it up for me. And he did, by calling the warehouse in NY to find me a good one. Looks just as well done as the first one. The dealer said that it was most likely built by the same guy at Peugeot. He thinks the first one had its head tube overheated during brazing or during heat treatment at Vitus which caused the head tube to be too ductile, causing it to start buckling from road shock.
IMO, Gitanes of the mid 80's and maybe Motobecanes too, were generally better built than Peugeots.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)