Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Am I at elite level? Break down my data/ power data

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Am I at elite level? Break down my data/ power data

Old 05-24-20, 07:09 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Nice ride, no matter how you look at it. How old are you? For reference, I'm 56, 6"4", 165lbs, and rode 67 yesterday solo, with 3800 feet at 188 avg and 216 np, and wasn't particularly pushing it. I'm a good recreational rider, nowhere near elite. You'd do much better to focus on weight loss rather than increasing power. Pic from yesterday's ride, just because.

Likes For jwalther:
Old 05-24-20, 08:24 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
FWIW, the ride route metrics aren't much different than the GFNY route that you somewhat replicated.. results during the 2018 ride below

https://results.chronotrack.com/even...nt/event-40017

Route:
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/23351968
Old 05-24-20, 12:10 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
170 watts at 200lbs even on a relatively long ride is probably not elite level.

Your NP is way higher than your average and you seem to be able to output serious watts over short times - maybe you are close to elite at crits, but for long endurance rides, I would say no way.
Old 05-24-20, 05:36 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
FT=FTP in W/kg
Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 05-24-20, 05:55 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by illjustride
Sup everyone. I completed a century ride the other day. I've been going over my data and I wanted some data junkies to breakdown my numbers and tell me what they think. Tear it apart if you will, I'm looking for honest feedback if I should be pacing better, taking it easier on my climbs etc. A little bit about the route... It was mainly climbing and rolling hills. Looking forward to building a conversation around this. Let me know if you need more info.
Are you at elite level?

No, no, you're not.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 05-24-20, 06:02 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
No hard feelings, it's all good. Was just looking for some insight and being transparent with my data. I watched a 1 hour video on how to become an elite cyclist and wanted to have a few people help crunch some numbers from a ride. I know 1 ride won't cut it but I figured I put my numbers out there. I also haven't been riding as much due to the pandemic here, I also don't ride indoors because I don't own a Zwift. I've been putting in 100 to 130-mile weeks. I'm looking to increase that to 200 soon.
You don't become "elite" by riding or watching videos. Your power doesn't matter, your training rides don't matter.

The only thing that matters in regards to "elite cycling" is your racing ability.

But never fret, sign up for a race and give it a go. A few years down the road you'll have a better idea.
Old 05-24-20, 07:04 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
As a committed non-racer, I love that W/kg chart. For the five second and one minute, I'm off the bottom of the chart. Nowhere close. Then I'm in the middle of Cat5 for 5-minute, and smack in the middle of Cat4 for FTP. I think all four are accurate, if not generous.

Luckily I'm only racing against one guy. Sometimes I beat him.
Old 05-24-20, 07:49 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
I'm only a recreational rider, one who gets dropped on every hill by the fast people. My best effort was to do approximately 1.5 X your ride, miles and gain, at 58 y.o., averaging 16. I came in toward the bottom of the first 100 riders out of 800. I've only barely broken 12 hours elapsed for a double century. Elite times are in the 8+ hour range for this ride. I don't suck, but I'm not fast either. I used to ride with a fast, though not elite guy, who was 6' and weighed 145. He'd been a good runner in his youth, 4:17 miler. I'm fat for a cyclist, BMI 23.5. Just more data.

Best training in your situation was competitive group rides, but that's out for a long time. There are many ways to train solo. You don't need a fancy trainer. For now, your best bet might be a set of resistance rollers, some sort of plan, and of course the hard part, weight loss. It's pretty hard not to get faster if one makes an effort. Correct effort, that is effort which does not result in injury, is rewarded. I've found it really helps to have an indoor training device and two 24" box fans with which to do intervals. Saves time.
Old 05-24-20, 10:31 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
That's the Wahoo Companion App.
This was the Wahoo App
Ah, as a Garmin user that explains it. Thank you.
Old 05-25-20, 04:40 AM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
Another ride I did from Sunday. I was going pretty hard here trying to get the fastest time on a segment.

Old 05-25-20, 05:38 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
As a committed non-racer, I love that W/kg chart. For the five second and one minute, I'm off the bottom of the chart. Nowhere close. Then I'm in the middle of Cat5 for 5-minute, and smack in the middle of Cat4 for FTP. I think all four are accurate, if not generous.

I was the same not long ago! By now I am so close to being "untrained" on 5s, and did make it on the chart for 1 minute. 5 minute and FTP are both middle of Cat 3. I improved my wattage the last two months, and lost 2kg.
Old 05-25-20, 05:42 AM
Greiselman
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
Another ride I did from Sunday. I was going pretty hard here trying to get the fastest time on a segment.

What's the Power Curve for that ride look like?
Old 05-25-20, 09:29 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Something's not input right. We know the OP hasn't put in an FTP number, because a training load of 184 for a 90 minute ride? 112% intensity? Yikes. I mean, 100% intensity is an FTP effort. It can't last longer than an hour.

I have an issue with how close the kJ is to the kCal. I say this because Wahoo uses HR-only for calories. That calorie number should be through the roof on a ride of that intensity-- over 1000kcal/hr-- according to Wahoo, anyway. My weekly 50k loop is easily 1,500 "HR based calories" from the Wahoo algorithm, when going at like 60% intensity, doing 1100-1200kJ of total work.

I'm an amateur Strava sleuth at best, but none of those numbers look right to me. It's all over the place. Link to the activity?
Old 05-25-20, 09:45 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I have an issue with how close the kJ is to the kCal. I say this because Wahoo uses HR-only for calories. That calorie number should be through the roof on a ride of that intensity-- over 1000kcal/hr-- according to Wahoo, anyway. My weekly 50k loop is easily 1,500 "HR based calories" from the Wahoo algorithm, when going at like 60% intensity, doing 1100-1200kJ of total work.
Yeah, some stuff if off because he hasn't set his FTP properly, but the kJ:Cal ratio isn't out of line with what Strava gives me -

Old 05-25-20, 10:13 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
"Training load" is not (necessarily) the same as TSS; I don't know if it's at all equivalent to Garmin's "exercise load" but I can easily ("easily" being loosely interpreted) knock out an exercise load of 272 in 75 minutes. That same session got a TSS of 103. Just because it's a number assigned to a workout doesn't mean it's relabeled TSS. Most such numbers are engineered to output a higher scale than TSS to salve our egos.
Old 05-25-20, 10:16 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Though based on a quick calculation, their "training load" is the same as TSS, just unlicensed. Yeah, OP, if you're really curious, please run a real FTP test and get back to us with the result. That'll at least give us something to go on. An intensity of 112% for 88 minutes is a flat-out impossibility, by the definition of the term.
Old 05-25-20, 10:27 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
For the record, people don't just become elite at pretty much anything. Think about what the word means.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-25-20, 10:33 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
For the record, people don't just become elite at pretty much anything. Think about what the word means.
+1

I wouldn't call the OP "elite", unless he's a Cat1/Pro. He's strong/fit cyclist(probably under 40?).
Old 05-25-20, 10:38 AM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts

Hello Dr.,
Can you explain this chart to me?

JAG
Old 05-25-20, 10:47 AM
illjustride

Something's not input right. We know the OP hasn't put in an FTP number, because a training load of 184 for a 90 minute ride? 112% intensity? Yikes. I mean, 100% intensity is an FTP effort. It can't last longer than an hour.

I'm an amateur Strava sleuth at best, but none of those numbers look right to me. It's all over the place. Link to the activity?
Here's the link to the activity on my Strava... https://www.strava.com/activities/3504902555
Old 05-25-20, 10:50 AM
illjustride

Originally Posted by Greiselman
What's the Power Curve for that ride look like?
Here is the power curve
Likes For illjustride:
Old 05-25-20, 10:52 AM
illjustride

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Though based on a quick calculation, their "training load" is the same as TSS, just unlicensed. Yeah, OP, if you're really curious, please run a real FTP test and get back to us with the result. That'll at least give us something to go on. An intensity of 112% for 88 minutes is a flat-out impossibility, by the definition of the term.
Thanks, yeah I'll have to look into doing an FTP test soon. Thanks for the help none the less.
Old 05-25-20, 11:06 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
No.
Old 05-25-20, 11:08 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by fstshrk
How do you define "elite" ?

At 200 lbs for 6.1, your FTP would need to be over 3.5-4W/kg to make you a mid pack Cat 3 cyclist which puts you at an FTP of 360W..
FTFY.
Those precise numbers fit me almost to a T, and I would be about 4 full tiers below elite.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-25-20, 11:09 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The inflated tss has been addressed, but another thing that caught my eye is the NP v AP. Usually in a ride that long you’d expect to see those numbers closer together, unless it was a punchy race with lots of attacking or rolling hills. Or both (see Turlock Lake RR).
Likes For caloso:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.