Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

ENVE Road Disc Hub or i9 Torch?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-28-20, 10:21 AM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts

Hey folks. Looking into getting a set of ENVE wheels for my gravel bike build. I noticed that the wheels I'm looking at both have options for i9 Torch and the ENVE Road Hub Disc version. The thing is, my fork is a 12mm x 100mm thru axel where the i9 Torch is a 15mm x 100mm. The ENVE comes in 12mm x 100mm so that will fit fine in the fork. I wanted to get the i9 Torch but it looks like I would need a conversion kit. Would you go with the ENVE hubs instead? The tech behind them seems impressive. Anyone ever used them before?
Old 05-28-20, 10:30 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
I would check with i9 if that is the brand you like. Not sure about their Torch series having a 12mm through axle front hub but I can say that with all likelihood that they do make a front disc hub that has the 12 mm through axle. Someone else might verify this before me, but I will check their website.
Old 05-28-20, 10:51 AM
illjustride

Originally Posted by masi61
I would check with i9 if that is the brand you like. Not sure about their Torch series having a 12mm through axle front hub but I can say that with all likelihood that they do make a front disc hub that has the 12 mm through axle. Someone else might verify this before me, but I will check their website.
Thanks, but it looks like ENVE isn't offering that on their wheelset. I didn't want to have to purchase a conversion kit for the front wheel to make it a 12mm from a 15mm to fit in my fork. I'd prefer a fluid setup.
Old 05-28-20, 11:39 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by illjustride
Thanks, but it looks like ENVE isn't offering that on their wheelset. I didn't want to have to purchase a conversion kit for the front wheel to make it a 12mm from a 15mm to fit in my fork. I'd prefer a fluid setup.
I'm confused now - which hubset do you prefer again?
Old 05-28-20, 11:51 AM
illjustride

Originally Posted by masi61
I'm confused now - which hubset do you prefer again?
Initially, I was going for the i9 Torch, but then realized they are only offering it as a wheelset in 15mm x 100mm front thru-axle. My fork is a 12mm x 100mm Thur-Axel. So then, my other option is to get the ENVE Road hub which is 12mm x 100mm. However, I wanted some info on the ENVE hubs and if they are solid because I couldn't find much online.
Old 05-28-20, 12:13 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by illjustride
Initially, I was going for the i9 Torch, but then realized they are only offering it as a wheelset in 15mm x 100mm front thru-axle. My fork is a 12mm x 100mm Thur-Axel. So then, my other option is to get the ENVE Road hub which is 12mm x 100mm. However, I wanted some info on the ENVE hubs and if they are solid because I couldn't find much online.
I'm not sure about the quality of ENVE hubs. I believe the Torch hub from i9 has been discontinued. Is this an older wheelset you are looking at? If you order them from i9,I would think that you could spec whichever through axle size you need. Are you looking at center lock disc or 6 bolt?
Old 05-28-20, 12:29 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
If I were spending that kind of money on a wheelset I don't think having to spend another $30 for a hub conversion kit would be that big of a deal.
Old 05-28-20, 12:42 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Call enve, their conversion kits are cheap and it probably wouldn't be too much more to go that route. If I had to pick between I9 and just an enve hub I'd go i9 any day, haven't owned any but rode with people who have and have held plenty of them in my hands, they're a nice bit of work.
Old 05-28-20, 01:13 PM
illjustride

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Call enve, their conversion kits are cheap and it probably wouldn't be too much more to go that route. If I had to pick between I9 and just an enve hub I'd go i9 any day, haven't owned any but rode with people who have and have held plenty of them in my hands, they're a nice bit of work.
Thanks, ENVE doesn't sell the endcaps. The i9 Torch is discontinued as well. I can still get the endcaps but I wanted for folks to shed some light on the ENVE hubs.